Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

very stiff clutch pedal

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  White_X3_LE 
#1 ·
my clutch pedal has always been really stiff from the day i bought my car, and lately it has really been bothering me. so i put in a new billet quadrant and adjustable cable from summit racing thinking that was the problem. it didn't help and the pedal is just as stiff as ever (no more breaking plastic quadrants though :) . what else would be the problem? is it time to get a new clutch?

thanks
bb

#3 ·
How long has the tranny been in the car? Just thinking that if it has been in there awhile, maybe you might have a aluminum bearing retainer and it may be worn out, causing it to hang up and feel stiff. It could be the pressure plate. I noticed a big difference between the stock set-up and a King Cobra set-up with relation to pedal stiffness. Are you having any clutch slippage?

#4 ·
no, i'm pretty sure there's no slippage, the tranny is the original '83 SROD 4-speed and could possibly have the stock clutch in it. what clutch kit would give light pedal effort with decent clamping force, good for about 350hp?

#5 ·
I had the same problem, I thought it might be the pressure plate, it turns out my cable was breaking. I bought a new cable and problem solved. :bigthumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.