Ford Mustang Forum banner

Fuse #6 nothing is working the trunk release air conditioner or rear defogger

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  thenote408 
#1 ·
First time posting to this page so I don't know if I'm in the right area but I have a 1992 mustang GT I just bought and nothing on fuse number six is getting power I changed the fuse which look good but everything that runs that isn't working no air conditioning power getting to compressor trunk latch doesn't work or the rear defroster doesn't work and they all run off the same the guy had a radio in it and an alarm system I took all that off and found some plugs behind the radio that weren't plugged in I plugged all that stuff back in but still can't figure out why I'm not getting any power

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#2 ·
It sounds like time to find a wiring diagram to see where that fuse gets power. Since it goes to some accessories, I'd bet it come from the ignition switch. I'd try wiggling the wires that go behind the fuse block. It could be something as simple as a loose wire. A radio is usually only on with the switch in on or accessory. The alarm should have been wired hot all the time. Look behind the dash, in the radio/alarm area and see if there is a wire that's been cut.

#4 ·
Thanks... Yeah I'm just terrible at wiring everything works with the radio I put it back to stock connected the matching wires... Most of the alarm was just tied in through a solder connection so I left the three-way connection being it was just tied in and just clipped the wires that were spliced in an electrical taped it... Everything on the car works as it should just fuse number 6 which controls the AC trunk in rear window defroster... I found some plugs that weren't plugged in behind the radio big plugs I plug two of them in there is still one more plug I could not find a spot for that might have been for a different model maybe with more options

#3 ·
Good luck. When you get a used car that has had the wiring system "customised" by a previous owner it can turn into a nightmare.

#9 ·
The black/lt green wire terminal at the ignition switch feeds fuse #6.If theres no 12v at that switch terminal,that contact in the ignition switch is bad,which would mean the ignition switch needs replaced. However,if that contact/terminal is bad at the ignition switch,the other 3 fuses fed by that terminal should also be dead.
The following link may/may not have wiring diagrams you can use.

Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info

#10 ·
The black/lt green wire terminal at the ignition switch feeds fuse #6.If theres no 12v at that switch terminal,that contact in the ignition switch is bad,which would mean the ignition switch needs replaced. However,if that contact/terminal is bad at the ignition switch,the other 3 fuses fed by that terminal should also be dead.

The following link may/may not have wiring diagrams you can use.

Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info
Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.