I upgraded HCI (AFR165, custom cam, Holley intake) with all the trimmings with 3.55 gears and have had it dyno'ed at 315 ft/lb at the wheels, 315 tq. Still using my stock T5 and it has been fine so far. It has had about 15 runs at the 1/4 mile track and didn't even phase it (yet!!!). You should be fine. Any more hp/tq than this, I'd be a little worried about it. I don't hammer on it too much around town but it's been good for me so far. Had my car about 10 years.
'93 LX 5.0L Hatchback T5
- MM SFC's/MM LCA's/UPR UCA's/3.55 FRPP gears/UPR Torquebox/Aluminum DS/Spec Stage 1
- AFR165s/Custom Cam/Scorpion 1.6 RR's/Holley Systemax II/BBK 70mm TB/Pro-M 75mm MAF/24lb injectors
- Flexalite Xtreme/SVE 3 row alum radiator/PA Perf. 3G 95A/Pro 5.0/BBK CAI/Wahlbro190lph/SCT-Kurgan Tune
- MAC shorties/Flowmaster 40's & tails/Gabriel shocks & struts/Chrome Ponies
- Autometer gauges/04 Cobra seats/Pioneer sound/Satellite Radio/Billet thingys