Discuss Ford AOD Automatic Transmission Troubles on AllFordMustangs.com, the place for Mustang enthusiasts.
Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.
You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.
Ive heard from just about everyone who owns a automatic tranmission 5.0 that they have a problem with there overdrive...ive hear that its common for it not to go into the overdrive gear...and ive hear the fix is a new OD Band...i want to know if this is true and if you can avoid this by driving your car in regular drive not overdrive?
I have the same problem with my 90 5.0. It will shift into OD and some times makes a clunking sound that I can hear and feel. I to would like to hear from someone about this problem. I just drive it in normal drive and don't have any problems with it this way. good luck.Wish I could help.
I don't have a problem with my overdrive. There's several things that can go wrong with an AOD, the forward clutches tend to get worn, the bands get worn, so it could be several things. But it's not a good idea to simply drive in 3rd, you need to have the trans checked.
AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington MOOG Certified Technician For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.
apparently manual shifting, and the 1-d-1 shifting is what kills the aod band the most. avoid doing this and it should last. (mine has 185,000 miles on it and works fine... a slow shift into od is the only thing) The AOD doesnt seem to be as bad as everyone says, at least if you dont beat on it, which is how every auto trans can be destroyed.
1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
FMS Ceramic Shorties, pacesetter off road h, force mufflers, 3 row radiator, smog eliminator pulley, underdrive pullies, Yukon 3.55 gears, posi diff... Waiting in garage: rebuilt block, Crane 1.7 rr, bare GT40 cast heads, Summit billit distributor, 9mm plug wires, MSD blaster coil, GT40 upper and lower intake, E303 cam 70% of drivers say "oh Sh** when they hit ice, the other 30% are from Michigan and say "Hold my beer and watch this sh**!"
Mine was doing that recently where it would not go into overdrive so I checked the gear selector and it had been knocked off position so check that to make sure it's precise and also adjust the TV cable all this can affect the AOD from going into overdrive.
When I changed my stock OD servo to an A plus, my overdrive shifts were tight and fast..if you do this, be sure to have your servo pin into the tranny band when it is inserted back into the accumulator bore.
1988 GT Vert 70K
BBK Fender Cold Air, Ford E303, Cobra Intakes, Kirban Adj Fuel Reg, FRPP 65mm TB, 19# Explorer injectors, MAF Conversion, TF Valve Springs, BBK Equal Length Shorty's, KYB's all around, Magnaflow 2.5 high flow cats H pipe, American Thunder's, 3.73's, Speedo gear, AOD w/Performance Automatic street/strip valve body, Overdrive A+ Super Servo, 2-3 Accumulator upgrade, Urethane motor and tranny mounts, Smog, EGR and A/C delete
But it's not a good idea to simply drive in 3rd, you need to have the trans checked.
If you have a problem with overdrive, it is most definately ok to leave it in D instead of OD. The D postion is the same as OD just without commanding 4th gear. It would be better to leave it in third until you can get it repaired, other wise if its slipping, you can over speed your foward drum which will result in the intermediate snap ring to come undone which means a failed intermediate clutch and intermediate one way explosion. Lots of metal in the pan and more damage than expected. It is always better to drive with gears holding than without.