Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 11-07-2008   #1 (permalink)
RLG34750

Default How to adjust roller rockers.....

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the pre-load on. Only do one cylinder at a time.

2. Rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation (clockwise) and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

3. To adjust, back off the intake rocker arm adjusting nut and remove any tension from the push rod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the push rod seat up against the retaining lock, if you give it time to do so.

4. Twist the intake push rod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the push rod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to three-quarters of a turn from that point for street applications. Use 1/8 to 1/4 turn for race applications. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to turn the engine, watching that same intake valve/rocker you just set. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2008   #2 (permalink)
flyboy8101 is offline Apprentice

flyboy8101's Country Flag
Harrisburg   Arkansas
flyboy8101 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Reggie great post was wondering how the easy way to do this was last week. The books make it sound hard, but that sounds simple enough.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 11-07-2008   #3 (permalink)
Masshole is offline Made Member

Masshole's Country Flag
Ludlow   Massachusetts
Masshole is on a distinguished road

Is there anything in particular that would happen that would lead to wanting to adjust the rockers?
BBK Fender Cold Air, Ford E303, Cobra Intakes, Kirban Adj Fuel Reg, FRPP 65mm TB, 19# Explorer injectors, MAF Conversion, TF Valve Springs, BBK Equal Length Shorty's, KYB's all around, Magnaflow 2.5 high flow cats H pipe, American Thunder's, 3.73's, Speedo gear, AOD w/Performance Automatic street/strip valve body, Overdrive A+ Super Servo, 2-3 Accumulator upgrade, Urethane motor and tranny mounts, Smog, EGR and A/C delete
Unread 11-07-2008   #4 (permalink)
RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masshole View Post
Is there anything in particular that would happen that would lead to wanting to adjust the rockers?
every so often they will back off....

and also good info when installing new ones.....

Unread 11-07-2008   #5 (permalink)
EagleAutosports is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

EagleAutosports's Country Flag  View EagleAutosports's 548 photos  View EagleAutosports's 3 classified ads  View EagleAutosports's HomePage
Graham   North Carolina
EagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to EagleAutosports Send a message via Yahoo to EagleAutosports

Or those with mechanical lifters, you'll be doing this like once a week if you drive it every day.
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Unread 03-14-2009   #6 (permalink)
vetprowanab is offline PONY Member

vetprowanab's Country Flag  View vetprowanab's 13 photos
Firestone   Colorado
vetprowanab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg34750 View Post
1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the pre-load on. Only do one cylinder at a time.

2. Rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation (clockwise) and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

3. To adjust, back off the intake rocker arm adjusting nut and remove any tension from the push rod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the push rod seat up against the retaining lock, if you give it time to do so.

4. Twist the intake push rod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the push rod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to three-quarters of a turn from that point for street applications. Use 1/8 to 1/4 turn for race applications. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to turn the engine, watching that same intake valve/rocker you just set. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.
How can I know when or if the lifter is ready to have the preload set? Can I just wait 2 minutes then go for it? Do I have to take the weight of the pushrod off of the lifter in order for the lifter's spring to return back to the neutral position? Also, I am already running two shims (one thin and one thick), can I run more (or maybe two thick ones) if geometry requires it or would it be time for new pushrods at that point? Thanks!
Tri-Ax shifter, CAI, 75mm Granatelli MAF, BBK 70mmTB, 24#, BBK fuel press regulator, RPM II, Cam Research custom, 170 TFS Twisted Wedge heads, 1.7 TFS rockers, Electric fan, A9L, Diablo Revolution chip, MSD 6AL, BBK long tubes, 2.5" X pipe Magnaflows no cats, Auburn 3:73 gears, lowering Ford C springs, bump steer kit, MM CC plates, MM braided hoses, BBK rear control arms, Eibach sway bars, sub frame. Cobra R hood. 10th anni wheels w/245s, 140mph Speedo.
Unread 03-14-2009   #7 (permalink)
lxarlo is offline Senior Member

5.0L Member

lxarlo's Country Flag  View lxarlo's 4 photos
Huntington Beach   California
lxarlo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lxarlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masshole View Post
erratic vacuum reading, or car runs poorly. This adjustment only applies if you have aftermarket cylinder heads or have installed roller rockers on your stock heads, as i believe the stock rockers simply bolt down and there is no adjustment.
Unread 03-14-2009   #8 (permalink)
RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetprowanab View Post
How can I know when or if the lifter is ready to have the preload set? Can I just wait 2 minutes then go for it? Do I have to take the weight of the pushrod off of the lifter in order for the lifter's spring to return back to the neutral position? Also, I am already running two shims (one thin and one thick), can I run more (or maybe two thick ones) if geometry requires it or would it be time for new pushrods at that point? Thanks!

The preload is set by counting how far the bolt turns, from when the rocker first makes good contact with the valve tip and the pushrod, until the torque wrench clicks off at 21 lb/ft because the bolt is tight. Because all Ford pedestal mount heads use the same thread pitch for the pedestal bolts, counting turns is equivalent to measuring preload distance.

Make sure the cylinder is at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke (both lifters down, both valves closed). Turn the pedestal bolt by hand (no wrench) until the bolt is snug and the pushrod is seated in the lifter. Next, put the torque wrench on the bolt and slowly turn until it clicks. The wrench should turn between 1/2 and 1 turn. If it turns more than that you need to add a shim. If it turns less than that you need longer pushrods.

Unread 03-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
vetprowanab is offline PONY Member

vetprowanab's Country Flag  View vetprowanab's 13 photos
Firestone   Colorado
vetprowanab is on a distinguished road

Thanks Reggie.
I think I have found the sweet spot. I have the torque wrench set to 19 foot pounds which equals almost exactly 1/2 turn past zero lash. This puts a nice thin and centrally located contact patch on the top of the valve. The only thing that still concerns me is that after torquing the bolts down I can easily rock the rocker arm backwards towards the push rod as If I'm mannually compressing the lifter. Some rockers rotate backwards a little bit more than others.
Tri-Ax shifter, CAI, 75mm Granatelli MAF, BBK 70mmTB, 24#, BBK fuel press regulator, RPM II, Cam Research custom, 170 TFS Twisted Wedge heads, 1.7 TFS rockers, Electric fan, A9L, Diablo Revolution chip, MSD 6AL, BBK long tubes, 2.5" X pipe Magnaflows no cats, Auburn 3:73 gears, lowering Ford C springs, bump steer kit, MM CC plates, MM braided hoses, BBK rear control arms, Eibach sway bars, sub frame. Cobra R hood. 10th anni wheels w/245s, 140mph Speedo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162