5.0 valve cover/roller rocker clearance help - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008 Thread Starter
5.0 valve cover/roller rocker clearance help

What valve covers will work with '87 F.I. 5.0 H.O. with Ford Racing 1.72 roller rockers and the stock cam and Cobra intake? I bought what was supposedly a set of 1.7's off Ebay but when they came in they were 1.72's.

I wanted Ford Racing EFI covers but I don't know if they will work. I see Canton makes a pair CAN-65345 on LRS that are supposed to clear most roller rockers and fit under the stock intake.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
Both of those covers will work, but if they're not specified for use with EFI, you'll have small problems.
#1, they won't fit under the stock intake unless you use a spacer. The throttle linkage will contact the passenger side cover.
#2, you'll have to figure out an oil fill system, they have PCV holes ready in both and the driver's side will have the upper intake over it and the passenger side will have the throttle cables over it.
The reason I said that is because many don't realize the difference between EFI covers and carbureted covers. Plus with as many Ford Racing covers there are, I'm not sure which ones you're talking about.

The Canton covers should work, they might need some slight clearancing around the center bolt recess. It'll be right between two rockers and they might slightly touch. The rockers being 1.72 and not 1.7 won't be enough of a difference in terms of valve cover to rocker clearance.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008
5.0L Member
Check out BBK because I had same issue with my 95 and they had several different applications for the 87-93 models.You might have to remover the oil baffle but if so thats real easy.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008
PONY Member
All I had to do on mine was remove the baffle inside the passenger cover. No grinding or clearancing, just unbolt it. I'm still using the stock valve covers.
Like Eagle said, the real key is make SURE you have the EFI covers. Otherwise, sell them and buy the EFI version. My two cents.

1988 LX 5.0 5spd Moonroof
Tri-Ax shifter, CAI, 75mm Granatelli MAF, BBK 70mmTB, 24#, BBK fuel press regulator, RPM II, Cam Research custom, 170 TFS Twisted Wedge heads, 1.7 TFS rockers, Electric fan, A9L, Diablo Revolution chip, MSD 6AL, BBK long tubes, 2.5" X pipe Magnaflows no cats, Auburn 3:73 gears, lowering Ford C springs, bump steer kit, MM CC plates, MM braided hoses, BBK rear control arms, Eibach sway bars, sub frame. Cobra R hood. 10th anni wheels w/245s, 140mph Speedo.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page