Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 07-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
bdbolling19 is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

bdbolling19's Country Flag  View bdbolling19's 16 photos
Port Townsend   Washington
bdbolling19 is on a distinguished road
Default Solid motor mounts?

I'm thinking about converting to solid motor mounts, since I've been breaking rubber ones faster than i can install them ever since my engine swap six months ago.

What I want to know is are they tolerable in a street car that i have to drive to school a few day per week?

Is it normal to be breaking the rubber mounts like crazy? I'm putting about 350hp at the flywheel.

1983 Mustang GT T-Top.

New T5 installed, driving my 'Stang again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2009   #2 (permalink)
Trojan Horse is offline Apprentice

Trojan Horse's Country Flag  View Trojan Horse's HomePage
Fayette   Missouri
Trojan Horse is on a distinguished road

No it's not normal.
You have some type of issue, but without seeing your car or how you drive it that would be hard to determine.

Have you tried poly mounts?

Whoever put the engine in my car before I bought it used a solid mount on the driver's side and a rubber mount on the passenger side.
So far (about 8 years now) that setup has given me no trouble whatsoever. My car puts out 405 at the flywheel.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-22-2009   #3 (permalink)

5.0L Member

I have the convertible style rubber mounts (the ones that look like the urethane ones) and it always pushes the right side mounts out the bottom of the rubber pieces.

Do you get lots of vibration with the solid mount in there?

1983 Mustang GT T-Top.

Unread 07-22-2009   #4 (permalink)
RLG34750

vibration is relative.......

i have them in my car the only thing i notice you feel bumps in the road a little more

trust me you won't break them......

Unread 07-22-2009   #5 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm looking at the Maximum Motorsports solid motor mounts now, does anyone else know of any other good brands to go with?

1983 Mustang GT T-Top.

Unread 07-22-2009   #6 (permalink)

Fayette   Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbolling19 View Post
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm looking at the Maximum Motorsports solid motor mounts now, does anyone else know of any other good brands to go with?
I have never noticed any undue vibration, but then my car has two chamber Flowmasters on it. It is pretty loud and the drone probably cancels any vibes I might feel otherwise.

As far as solid steel mounts, I'd just find the least expensive set I could. As long as they are not overseas inferior steel they should work just fine.

Luck
Unread 07-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Old man is offline PONY Member

Old man's Country Flag
Macon   Georgia
Old man is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't understand that. I personally would not use solid mounts on a street car.

I ran convertible mounts in all my Fox cars and never had one fail. Including the car below, that ran as fast as 8's in the 1/4 mile (when I front halved the car I went with plates, but prior used convertable mounts).

Are you using Ford mounts? Do you have things OK elsewhere like a good trans mount and proper driveshaft angle to the rear end?

Tom

Solid motor mounts?-83gt.jpg
Unread 07-22-2009   #8 (permalink)

Fayette   Missouri

I just happened to think of something.
You don't have any oil/fuel leaks that might be dripping on the mounts do you?
That would definitely have an adverse effect on the rubber.
Unread 07-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
RLG34750

Quote:
take a look at the moroso mounts......

Unread 07-22-2009   #10 (permalink)

5.0L Member

The mounts are in good shape other than being broken... no leaks on them at all. Never considered the trans mount though, I know it's soaked in gear oil because the tranny leaks like a screen door; I have to re-fill it every 1000 miles.

The motor mounts are not Ford mounts, just Kragen/Napa replacements, I always have to grind the little tab off of them because they all have that little tab for the 84+ cars. What year of Ford mounts should I be looking for that won't have the little tab?

1983 Mustang GT T-Top.

Unread 07-23-2009   #11 (permalink)

Fayette   Missouri

Quote:
The mounts are in good shape other than being broken... no leaks on them at all. Never considered the trans mount though, I know it's soaked in gear oil because the tranny leaks like a screen door; I have to re-fill it every 1000 miles.

The motor mounts are not Ford mounts, just Kragen/Napa replacements, I always have to grind the little tab off of them because they all have that little tab for the 84+ cars. What year of Ford mounts should I be looking for that won't have the little tab?
The 83 & earlier mounts are probably what you want.
Try replacing the trans mount with a polyurethane mount. They are more oil resistant than rubber.
Unread 07-23-2009   #12 (permalink)
EagleAutosports is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

EagleAutosports's Country Flag  View EagleAutosports's 548 photos  View EagleAutosports's 3 classified ads  View EagleAutosports's HomePage
Graham   North Carolina
EagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to EagleAutosports Send a message via Yahoo to EagleAutosports

If your mounts are getting chemical soaked like that, then yes, they'll push out.

As for the solid mounts, it'll transfer more vibration to the drivers compartment. It depends on how much you can tolerate like with exhaust dumps. Some don't mind the obnoxious blaring exhaust while some don't like shouting to the passenger to have a conversation. Solid mounts are the same way, are you willing to have more vibrations?
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Unread 07-23-2009   #13 (permalink)
RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleAutosports View Post
are you willing to have more vibrations?
That will depend on the affect it has on the passenger of the opposite gender........

Unread 07-23-2009   #14 (permalink)

Fayette   Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG34750 View Post
That will depend on the affect it has on the passenger of the opposite gender........
Which...............................could be positive and interesting to watch.
Unread 07-23-2009   #15 (permalink)
Old man is offline PONY Member

Old man's Country Flag
Macon   Georgia
Old man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If the trans bounces around on a bad mount it is really tough on many things, including front mounts.

Quote:
The motor mounts are not Ford mounts, just Kragen/Napa replacements, I always have to grind the little tab off of them because they all have that little tab for the 84+ cars. What year of Ford mounts should I be looking for that won't have the little tab
All the mounts I bought had that tab. I just modify the cross member but you have an engine in the way. The problem has to be the quality of the aftermarket mounts or the loose trans mount.

I'm serious. I ran low ET and pulled the front wheels way up with the Ford mounts. I'm not a big fan of solid mounts because it makes the block part of the frame. That's bad for many reasons on a street car with thin wall block.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162