Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
bp88mustang is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

bp88mustang's Country Flag
Prospect   Connecticut
bp88mustang is on a distinguished road
Default how to convert flat tappet to roller?

i was just wondering i have a 87 5.0 non ho motor with a flat tappet cam i was wondering how i would go about converting to a roller motor?thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
nadrepadre is offline Made Member

nadrepadre's Country Flag
West Chester   Pennsylvania
nadrepadre is on a distinguished road

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but I believe it would be more cost effective to just use a roller block. They can be found for next to nothing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Diego is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

Diego's Country Flag
Reno   Nevada
Diego is on a distinguished road

ERRMMM not exactly...You can go two ways about it...buy retro(superexpensive)fit cam and lifters. Or you can buy an adapter and buy regular cam and lifters for cheap. I think we know which way you want to go.

1989 Hatchback, BBK CAI, BBK equal lenght headers, aluminum radiator, high-flow water pump, aluminm driveshaft, short shifter, off road h-pipe and 44 flowmasters. Daily driver...getting 19 mpg YAYA!!!
Unread 09-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
.boB is offline Made Member

Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

.boB's Country Flag  View .boB's 9 photos
Colorado Springs   Colorado
.boB is on a distinguished road

The only differance between roller and non roller blocks is the height of the lifter bores. Non roller are a little shorter, because flat tappets are a little shorter.

There are two ways to make the conversion. You can use a reduced base circle cam, stock lifters, stock dog bones, and stock spider. You'll need to drill and tap two small shallow holes in the valley to retain the spider. This is probably the cheapest and easiets method. You'll be using stock Ford rollers, which are probably the best on the market. And you don't have to remove the heads.

The second is to use a standard cam and link bar lifters. You won't need dog bones, a spider, and you don't need to drill the holes. The lifters are aftermarket, and probably not as good; and they cost around $500 a set. Link bar lifters are a lot taller than stock. You'll have to remove the heads to get them in and out. So, if one doesn't seem to be working properly and needs to be inspected, you have to pull the head.
Unread 09-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
bp88mustang is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

bp88mustang's Country Flag
Prospect   Connecticut
bp88mustang is on a distinguished road

so yea im just gonna go buy a high output motor best bet
Unread 09-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
dudeboy is offline Made Member

dudeboy's Country Flag
Arlington   Washington
dudeboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by .boB View Post
1The only differance between roller and non roller blocks is the height of the lifter bores. Non roller are a little shorter, because flat tappets are a little shorter.

There are two ways to make the conversion. You can use a 2reduced base circle cam, stock lifters, stock dog bones, and stock spider. You'll need to drill and tap two small shallow holes in the valley to retain the spider. This is probably the cheapest and easiets method. You'll be using stock 3Ford rollers, which are probably the best on the market. And you don't have to remove the heads.

The second is to use a standard cam and link bar lifters. You won't need dog bones, a spider, and you don't need to drill the holes. 4The lifters are aftermarket, and probably not as good; and they cost around $500 a set. Link bar lifters are a lot taller than stock. You'll have to remove the heads to get them in and out. So, if one doesn't seem to be working properly and needs to be inspected, you have to pull the head.
OK... there's some seriously bad info in here that needs to be corrected....

That height difference can cause major issues in the oiling system, especially if the guy bolting things together doesn't know what to look for.
What happens if the lifter comes too high in it's bore????

The reduced base circle cams are pure garbage. They should be avoided like the plague.
Reduced base cams are NOT like a hot chick with STD's... they're like a really ugly chick that you know has STD's and H1N1.
If you go near that, then you deserve what you get...

I won't say the Stock Ford roller lifters are pure garbage... but...
If you have an aftermarket cam, then you may want to think about getting away from the Ford lifters.

As for the link bar lifters being junk.
Straight BS.
Do you have any data to back that 'probably' up?
You get what you pay for on this subject.
Just because it comes in a box marked FRPP, doesn't mean it's superior for performance cars...
Unread 09-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
89coupe is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

5.0L Member

89coupe's Country Flag
Cartersville   Georgia
89coupe is on a distinguished road

Link bars, depending on the maker, are probably the best out there.

Dudeboy cover the rest accurately.
Unread 09-24-2009   #8 (permalink)
.boB is offline Made Member

Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

.boB's Country Flag  View .boB's 9 photos
Colorado Springs   Colorado
.boB is on a distinguished road

1. You're right. The height differance does cause major problems with the oiling system. That's why they have to be lower in the bore to work properly.

2. Reduced base circle cams are only as good as the grind. Don't like what's offered off the shelf? Have one made. It's not nearly as expensive as you might think. Call Comp Cams, and have them make any grind you like out of the catalog in a reduced base circle. I've been racing a cam like that for 4 years without any problems.

3. Stock Ford lifters will easily last 150K miles. When's the last time you heard of a lifter failure? At the worst, you hear of obne collapsing. OTOH, there have been a number of reports of aftermarket lifter failures with catastrophic results. Keith Craft, The Engine Factory, Fortes, Gordon Levy, Smeding and other pro builders all use Ford lifters. There must be something to them. KC modifies Ford lifters to get more rpm's out of them. If they were junk, don't you think they'de know that? Also, I'v been racing them for 4 years without a single failure. CMC and AI also use them, and I don't think I'v heard of a failure from that group, either.

4. I don't recall using the word "junk". Yeah, they're probably not as good. Like I said, there have been quite a few reports of failures in the last year. Even on some very low mileage engines.
Unread 09-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
89coupe is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

5.0L Member

89coupe's Country Flag
Cartersville   Georgia
89coupe is on a distinguished road

Ive had two failure with the FRPP parts lifters. Lots of guys modify the lifters. Thats because the internals are less than adequate. They shim them for less travel, but also use stiffer springs. One of the failures I had was the actual roller body. I didnt mention it, because the actual roller body, is fairly reliable. But the Link Bar type lifters are a better lifter. You see more failure, because they are used in higher HP applications, and set up wrong in the valve train. Not the lifters fault more times than not.

The reduced base circle cam is a weaker cam. Strength wise, thats the problem with them. They cause valvetrain instability, due to the fact that they flex more. This has been proven with standard base circle cams on a SADI core also.
Unread 09-28-2009   #10 (permalink)

dudeboy's Country Flag
Arlington   Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by .boB View Post
1. You're right. The height differance does cause major problems with the oiling system. That's why they have to be lower in the bore to work properly.

2. Reduced base circle cams are only as good as the grind. Don't like what's offered off the shelf? Have one made. It's not nearly as expensive as you might think. Call Comp Cams, and have them make any grind you like out of the catalog in a reduced base circle. I've been racing a cam like that for 4 years without any problems.

3. Stock Ford lifters will easily last 150K miles. When's the last time you heard of a lifter failure? At the worst, you hear of obne collapsing. OTOH, there have been a number of reports of aftermarket lifter failures with catastrophic results. Keith Craft, The Engine Factory, Fortes, Gordon Levy, Smeding and other pro builders all use Ford lifters. There must be something to them. KC modifies Ford lifters to get more rpm's out of them. If they were junk, don't you think they'de know that? Also, I'v been racing them for 4 years without a single failure. CMC and AI also use them, and I don't think I'v heard of a failure from that group, either.

4. I don't recall using the word "junk". Yeah, they're probably not as good. Like I said, there have been quite a few reports of failures in the last year. Even on some very low mileage engines.
Items 1 & 2.
Running a Reduced base cam in this day and age is retarded. I have pics at home that I will post up tonight... it will make you reconsider what you have in your car!!!
Having a custom cut reduced base cam has to be one of the biggest wastes of money I have heard of in a long time.
REDUCED BASE = JUNK
And running a reduced base cam, just so you can run a cheapo stock lifter is even worse.

150k miles of what? Driving to the grocery store?
If you are going to say that aftermarket link bar lifters are prone to failure, then you need to support that
Got links?
When you suggested running stock lifters, did you mention anything about modifying them??? Kinda left the reader hanging there, didn't ya?

You may not have used the word 'junk' but you did just say they were prone to failure.
Get your story straight dude...
Unread 09-28-2009   #11 (permalink)

dudeboy's Country Flag
Arlington   Washington

As comparison, standard base on the left and reduces base on the right.

Which cam will deflect more under the load of the spring?
Which cam will deflect more due simply to the rotational forces on the cam, and the fact that the lobes aren't 'balanced'?

The reduced base cams are inviting harmonics into your valvetrain.
Attached Thumbnails
how to convert flat tappet to roller?-standard-vs-reduced-2.jpg  
Unread 09-29-2009   #12 (permalink)
Joel5.0 is offline GT Member

5.0L Member

Joel5.0's Country Flag  View Joel5.0's HomePage
Sabana Grande
Joel5.0 is on a distinguished road

bp88mustang,

First things first...... could you check the casting number of that '87 block? Even though it was initially set with a flat tappet cam OEM, it may be a roller ready (tall lifter boss) block. LUK
LUK=Let Us Know, GL=Good Luck, LMK=Let Me Know, JIC=Just In Case, BTSTDTRT=Been There Seen That Done That Repaired That, YCYDYP=Your Car Your Dough Your Prerogative and the classic... DILLIGAS=Do I Look Like I Give A S***
1986 GT-X303 cam, 289 heads, 1.72, Holley 700cfm DP, RG 4+1 Trans.
Unread 09-29-2009   #13 (permalink)
Diego is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

Diego's Country Flag
Reno   Nevada
Diego is on a distinguished road

All the flat tapped blocks can be converted with a kit from Comp cams...PEOPLE GET BACK ON TOPIC...88mustang buying a roller block is more expensive, buy the kit from Comp Cams and buy lifters n cam from whoever you feel more comfortable with or if you want to just keep the stock lifters and cam I guess you could buy the roller block and save yourself the time and work. But I'd keep that block, buy te conversion kit (which isn't expensive) and upgrade the cam and lifters. Trick Flows stage I cam is supposed to be good. That's what I'm going to be using with my turbos

1989 Hatchback, BBK CAI, BBK equal lenght headers, aluminum radiator, high-flow water pump, aluminm driveshaft, short shifter, off road h-pipe and 44 flowmasters. Daily driver...getting 19 mpg YAYA!!!
Unread 09-29-2009   #14 (permalink)
Joel5.0 is offline GT Member

5.0L Member

Joel5.0's Country Flag  View Joel5.0's HomePage
Sabana Grande
Joel5.0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
All the flat tapped blocks can be converted with a kit from Comp cams...PEOPLE GET BACK ON TOPIC...88mustang buying a roller block is more expensive, buy the kit from Comp Cams and buy lifters n cam from whoever you feel more comfortable with or if you want to just keep the stock lifters and cam I guess you could buy the roller block and save yourself the time and work. But I'd keep that block, buy te conversion kit (which isn't expensive) and upgrade the cam and lifters. Trick Flows stage I cam is supposed to be good. That's what I'm going to be using with my turbos
If by kit you mean the link-bar lifters ($380+)... sure. If by kit you mean the spider/dog bones retrofit kit ..... ..... this last alternative will limit cam selection to a reduced base circle HR camshaft in a short lifter boss block.
LUK=Let Us Know, GL=Good Luck, LMK=Let Me Know, JIC=Just In Case, BTSTDTRT=Been There Seen That Done That Repaired That, YCYDYP=Your Car Your Dough Your Prerogative and the classic... DILLIGAS=Do I Look Like I Give A S***
1986 GT-X303 cam, 289 heads, 1.72, Holley 700cfm DP, RG 4+1 Trans.
Unread 09-30-2009   #15 (permalink)
89LX-347 is offline Rookie

89LX-347's Country Flag  View 89LX-347's HomePage
Ashville   Ohio
89LX-347 is on a distinguished road

When I built my 347 I called Crane. They poo pooed the spider deal and told me to use their linked roller rockers. Sure they were expensive, over $400. But I now am running a '79 block with a hydraulic roller cam with, of course, Crane linked roller rockers and life is good.
89LX fastback, 347 Probe stroker kit, P.C. rings, Clevite 77 bearings, Crane hydraulic roller rocker cam, Edelbrock RPM Performer intake, Holley 670 Street Avenger, Victor Jr. heads, BBK long tube headers, Performance Automatic Pro Comp C-4, MSD billet distributor, Blaster 2 coil and 6AL box, B&M Mega Shifter, 410 gears with 31 spline axels. "Get in, Sit down, Shut up, and hang on"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162