Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 10-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Ty5.0 is offline Rookie

Ty5.0's Country Flag
English   New Jersey
Ty5.0 is on a distinguished road
Default 1991 Mustang Gt

Hey guys i have a 91 gt and there is rust on the rocker panel?
its the place at the bottom where the door outline is. and there is some rust holes on the floor pan.

is this rust repairable i remember reading something about rust on the uni body cant be fixed. is this true?

Thanks alot
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Tyler5.0 is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

Tyler5.0's Country Flag
Habor   New Jersey
Tyler5.0 is on a distinguished road
Default 1991 Mustang Gt Rust (door frame?, underneath (chassis), bumper)

Hey guys i have a 91 gt and there is rust on the rocker panel?
its the place at the bottom where the door outline is. and there is some rust holes on the floor pan.

is this rust repairable i remember reading something about rust on the uni body cant be fixed. is this true?

Also one pic is of the chassis is that only surface rust?

Thanks alot
Attached Thumbnails
1991 Mustang Gt Rust (door frame?, underneath (chassis), bumper)-img_1439-1-.jpg  1991 Mustang Gt Rust (door frame?, underneath (chassis), bumper)-img_1437-1-.jpg  1991 Mustang Gt Rust (door frame?, underneath (chassis), bumper)-img_1436-2-.jpg  1991 Mustang Gt Rust (door frame?, underneath (chassis), bumper)-img_1435-1-.jpg  1991 Mustang Gt Rust (door frame?, underneath (chassis), bumper)-img_1434-1-.jpg  

1991 Mustang Gt Rust (door frame?, underneath (chassis), bumper)-img_1433-1-.jpg  
Unread 10-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
idontshift is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

idontshift's Country Flag
Fredericksburg   Virginia
idontshift is on a distinguished road

the floor pan and be repaired quite easily, i believe you can buy pre cut material to replace, as for the frame itself im not sure....ive had 2 mustangs both foxbodies and i was always having problems with the floors, they would rust and the welds would break so the seats would lean to one side. then i got smart and bought frame connectors. lol

half gloss/primer 88 Hatch, 24 lbs injects, gt-40p heads and gt-40 u/l in progress. Aod with shift kit,flows and o/r hpipe. not really a fast car but you gotta start somewhere.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 10-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
EagleAutosports is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

EagleAutosports's Country Flag  View EagleAutosports's 548 photos  View EagleAutosports's 3 classified ads  View EagleAutosports's HomePage
Graham   North Carolina
EagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to EagleAutosports Send a message via Yahoo to EagleAutosports

Anything can be fixed, you just have to have some skills of your own or find a chassis shop that can fabricate metal. Many shops just don't want to do that, so they say it's irrepairable. Yes it can, it just takes some work they don't want to do. If you get the run around, go elsewhere because they just don't want to do some actual work.

The floor pans are easily replaced.
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Unread 10-28-2009   #5 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Tyler5.0's Country Flag
Habor   New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleAutosports View Post
Anything can be fixed, you just have to have some skills of your own or find a chassis shop that can fabricate metal. Many shops just don't want to do that, so they say it's irrepairable. Yes it can, it just takes some work they don't want to do. If you get the run around, go elsewhere because they just don't want to do some actual work.

The floor pans are easily replaced.

Hey eagle i know you know what your talking about, so im gonna ask a few questions, how much does it take to get your chassis fixed, and the place where the floor meets like the pillar that goes up and forms the area with the windshield, whats that called?

Can you give me an estimate parts, labor just your best guess

Thanks alot

The pic im trying to describe is the last one (second row)
Unread 10-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
DkBlue89LXHatch is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

DkBlue89LXHatch's Country Flag
Dallas   Texas
DkBlue89LXHatch is on a distinguished road

...yeah the floorpans will be easy to cut out and spot weld in new ones. The rocker panel shouldn't be to hard, but you'll have to get creative. First, grind all the rust away and use a body hammer to tap out all the weak spots. Once you've done that you will know how much metal you're going to need to cover the hole. Take the body hammer and create a dent around where the rust is. large enough to fit the replacement peice of metal in and weld it into place. Then once the peice is in and the dent is lower than the normal rocker surface fill the dent with plastic. Sand smooth, prime, and paint. Or you can just cut out the entire rocker and put a fresh one in, but that would be a REAL PAIN!!
Unread 10-29-2009   #7 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Tyler5.0's Country Flag
Habor   New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkBlue89LXHatch View Post
...yeah the floorpans will be easy to cut out and spot weld in new ones. The rocker panel shouldn't be to hard, but you'll have to get creative. First, grind all the rust away and use a body hammer to tap out all the weak spots. Once you've done that you will know how much metal you're going to need to cover the hole. Take the body hammer and create a dent around where the rust is. large enough to fit the replacement peice of metal in and weld it into place. Then once the peice is in and the dent is lower than the normal rocker surface fill the dent with plastic. Sand smooth, prime, and paint. Or you can just cut out the entire rocker and put a fresh one in, but that would be a REAL PAIN!!

hey thanks for the response how is replacing the whole rocker a pain can you explain further thank you
Unread 10-30-2009   #8 (permalink)
DkBlue89LXHatch is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

DkBlue89LXHatch's Country Flag
Dallas   Texas
DkBlue89LXHatch is on a distinguished road

Well it will be harder to replace the entire rocker because there are a lot more welds to cut out and it requires a little more know how. You have to be really careful when cutting the spot welds so you don't cut all the way through the second layer. There is a special bit for drilling out the welds. You want to coat it in oil or you will burn it up quick. Another tool that would make this job easier would be a pnuematic air chisel so you can seperate the old part from the car once the welds are cut. I'm not sure if you can buy a replacement rocker assembly or not. But from the looks of the damages it might be the best route for you. Oh and on a lighter note, I like how you painted the rust chrome to make it look like healthy metal again. HA! I'm sure you were just trying to prevent further rust.... Rubberized undercoating is the best thing to use for that when you get your rust removed.
Unread 10-31-2009   #9 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Tyler5.0's Country Flag
Habor   New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkBlue89LXHatch View Post
Well it will be harder to replace the entire rocker because there are a lot more welds to cut out and it requires a little more know how. You have to be really careful when cutting the spot welds so you don't cut all the way through the second layer. There is a special bit for drilling out the welds. You want to coat it in oil or you will burn it up quick. Another tool that would make this job easier would be a pnuematic air chisel so you can seperate the old part from the car once the welds are cut. I'm not sure if you can buy a replacement rocker assembly or not. But from the looks of the damages it might be the best route for you. Oh and on a lighter note, I like how you painted the rust chrome to make it look like healthy metal again. HA! I'm sure you were just trying to prevent further rust.... Rubberized undercoating is the best thing to use for that when you get your rust removed.
Yeah its temporary to hold the rust down for a little while i get a plan. https://www.certifiedfordparts.com/f...ang-parts.html
These guys offer the rocker panel and all oem parts. Which do you think i need inner or outer rocker panel, (or unfortunately both)

Thanks
Unread 10-31-2009   #10 (permalink)
a10mechanic is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

a10mechanic's Country Flag
Tucson   Arizona
a10mechanic is on a distinguished road

That's a nice site for hard to find replacement parts. Also I have had luck just going to the junk yard and cutting the pieces out that I needed. Check 50resto.com they have replacement parts as well might be cheaper, thats were I got my floor pans and a few other body parts.
Unread 10-31-2009   #11 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Tyler5.0's Country Flag
Habor   New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10mechanic View Post
That's a nice site for hard to find replacement parts. Also I have had luck just going to the junk yard and cutting the pieces out that I needed. Check 50resto.com they have replacement parts as well might be cheaper, thats were I got my floor pans and a few other body parts.
Hey thanks for the site man, with all this rust i just want to get rid of it and put new parts, btw i found rust on the rear seat is this fix able?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162