Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-22-2010   #1 (permalink)
DEMoNik623 is offline Rookie

DEMoNik623's Country Flag
Avondale   Arizona
DEMoNik623 is on a distinguished road
Smile 5.0 Serpentine Belt Setup

Ok, before I start, let me tell you guys what I'm working with. A 1987 Lincoln Continental. It has the 5.0 EFI in it. Nothing special, and most definitely not a Mustang, I know that, but I need a little help. My serpentine belt setup is a little hectic. I have the crank, water pump, A/C, P/S, Alternator, and what my diagram says is my Air pump (what I'm guessing is for the Air ride suspension). My problem is, that the previous owner of this car was trying to get it to be a lowrider and took everything out that controlled the Air springs. They drilled and tapped the air springs, and attatched what looks like vacuum brake lines with pretty much a tire valve on the ends of the line. This makes it so I can lift and lower the car at my whim. And yeah, I know thats not really what those are supposed to be doing, but douche previous owner did it for me, severing solenoids and the like making it a pretty mean task to fix and replace all those parts and lines. Ok, thats the situation, now Like I said, the diagram on my car that shows the serp layout says this is the Air pump as I stated above, and since I no longer have the lines or units to run the Air ride system like it's supposed to, I want to completely remove the Air Pump set up. Now my question is, doing this, would I need to do anything more than just, remove the unit, and get a smaller belt? Or would there be more to the process? I got this car almost a year ago, and I've been wanting to clean up the engine, I know its not very high output, and its a pretty heavy car (almost 5k lbs) but I want this thing to run like the day it left the lot. The exterior and interior of the car is almost flawless, minus some clear coat on the hood and trunk (small patches though) Headliner inside is perfect, all the bells and whistles on this baby works, and I want to keep driving this luxury machine around. But I need to start putting some love into the engine. Its a nice sounding engine. Purrs like a kitten (did at least till I put about a 6-7 inch hole in my muffler, lol) Anyone's insight would help me a lot. And I'd really appreciate it, especially since it isn't exactly a 5.0 stang. Also, I'm still trying to keep the P/S and A/C running still. Not trying to make it a race car, just a daily driver.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2010   #2 (permalink)
dreger is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member

dreger's Country Flag  View dreger's 4 photos
Medicine Hat   Alberta
dreger is on a distinguished road

Take and post a pic of your belt set up if you can.I deleted my smog pump with a shorter belt and just left the pump hanging there.But it's hard on alternators as is puts allot of load on the bearings.I will post pics after work today and possibly the part # of the belt providing yours is the same routing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-22-2010   #3 (permalink)

Avondale   Arizona

Weathers kinda bad here in AZ. I'll get a pic up ASAP. Conveniently I have the fan and fan shroud off, along with the belt and some bolts on the Power Steering unit along the serp (In the midst of replacing a water pump, you'll see in the pic, it definitely needs to be changed, along with a lot of other things on my long list of to-do's). So I'll be able to get a nice open pic of what I'm talking about.
Unread 01-24-2010   #4 (permalink)

Avondale   Arizona

And, actually, So its actually my Smog Pump? I haven't really been able to get a good look at the underside of the engine or anything? I was thinking this was for my Airride suspension system. I may be mistaken. I've done a little looking under the term "Smog Pump" and its in the same place as everyone elses. I was looking under the term "Air Pump" and couldn't find anything related except to the Airride. But Also, I am needing to pass emissions, so this may not be the correct choice for me. As I said, I was thinking it was related to my Airride.
Unread 01-24-2010   #5 (permalink)

Avondale   Arizona
Default New question

Ok, since I just had my first question answered, I have another question, ok, I have my assemble apart, as I said, and I have seen what the inside of my water outlet looks like. It looks pretty bad, pretty bad deposits of minerals and slight surface rust from the looks of it. My question is, will my cooling ports throughout the block look as bad? And if they can or do, is there any way to clean that out? I'll put up a pic tomorrow so you can see what I mean, its pretty bad.
Unread 01-24-2010   #6 (permalink)
1trickpoinie is offline Rookie

1trickpoinie's Country Flag
seguin   Texas
1trickpoinie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMoNik623 View Post
Ok, before I start, let me tell you guys what I'm working with. A 1987 Lincoln Continental. It has the 5.0 EFI in it. Nothing special, and most definitely not a Mustang, I know that, but I need a little help. My serpentine belt setup is a little hectic. I have the crank, water pump, A/C, P/S, Alternator, and what my diagram says is my Air pump (what I'm guessing is for the Air ride suspension). My problem is, that the previous owner of this car was trying to get it to be a lowrider and took everything out that controlled the Air springs. They drilled and tapped the air springs, and attatched what looks like vacuum brake lines with pretty much a tire valve on the ends of the line. This makes it so I can lift and lower the car at my whim. And yeah, I know thats not really what those are supposed to be doing, but douche previous owner did it for me, severing solenoids and the like making it a pretty mean task to fix and replace all those parts and lines. Ok, thats the situation, now Like I said, the diagram on my car that shows the serp layout says this is the Air pump as I stated above, and since I no longer have the lines or units to run the Air ride system like it's supposed to, I want to completely remove the Air Pump set up. Now my question is, doing this, would I need to do anything more than just, remove the unit, and get a smaller belt? Or would there be more to the process? I got this car almost a year ago, and I've been wanting to clean up the engine, I know its not very high output, and its a pretty heavy car (almost 5k lbs) but I want this thing to run like the day it left the lot. The exterior and interior of the car is almost flawless, minus some clear coat on the hood and trunk (small patches though) Headliner inside is perfect, all the bells and whistles on this baby works, and I want to keep driving this luxury machine around. But I need to start putting some love into the engine. Its a nice sounding engine. Purrs like a kitten (did at least till I put about a 6-7 inch hole in my muffler, lol) Anyone's insight would help me a lot. And I'd really appreciate it, especially since it isn't exactly a 5.0 stang. Also, I'm still trying to keep the P/S and A/C running still. Not trying to make it a race car, just a daily driver.
the pump is for the smog,do you still have the smog pump?
Unread 02-03-2010   #7 (permalink)

Avondale   Arizona
Default I have it all squared away.

Yes. Haven't done anything yet. I laughed when I found out what it really was. I feel like an idiot. Lol. But yeah, I'm probably still going to get rid of it, since AZ emissions doesn't require us to have smog pumps in our vehicles. But I'll keep it on until I pass emissions . Thanks for the input guys. :smilie
Unread 04-15-2010   #8 (permalink)
90Foxbodyhatch is offline Rookie

90Foxbodyhatch's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
90Foxbodyhatch is on a distinguished road
Default 5.0 belt size without smog pump

My 1990 gt fox body hatch has the smog pump eliminated on it. I have no kit and I ve had no problems with the alternator. The belt that I found fits best in a 302 without the smog pump is carquest belt number k060539 there is also a pic of the routing if you google serpentine belt for 5.0 with out smog pump and click on the first link on modded mustangs and it gives a pic that shows the three different sizes for smog pump elimination smog pump and power steering elimination and the stock 5.0. i hope this helps
Unread 04-15-2010   #9 (permalink)
Me_and_my_STANG is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

Me_and_my_STANG's Country Flag
Harrison   Arkansas
Me_and_my_STANG is on a distinguished road

I went with an 86in belt that works great until it gets broke in and streched out. go with an 85 incher.
91' 5.0 H.O Gt T5 Hatchback But my best obsession weighs 8lbs 4oz and he was born July 15 at 10:42pm (After putting his poor mom through 16hrs of labor)! :smoke:
Unread 04-16-2010   #10 (permalink)
875.0GT is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

875.0GT's Country Flag
Stratford   Ontario
875.0GT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Foxbodyhatch View Post
My 1990 gt fox body hatch has the smog pump eliminated on it. I have no kit and I ve had no problems with the alternator. The belt that I found fits best in a 302 without the smog pump is carquest belt number k060539 there is also a pic of the routing if you google serpentine belt for 5.0 with out smog pump and click on the first link on modded mustangs and it gives a pic that shows the three different sizes for smog pump elimination smog pump and power steering elimination and the stock 5.0. i hope this helps
good link but what about a 5.0l set up without a/c also?? my car has no air conditioning from factory and id like to by pass the air pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
5.0, perfect, pump, serpentine belt, suspension

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162