Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 


Closed Thread   Post New Thread
Unread 02-28-2010   #1 (permalink)
Darkmyth is offline Rookie

5.0L Member


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 13 Threads: 3
 Darkmyth's Country Flag
plano   Texas
Darkmyth is on a distinguished road
Default 1986 5.0 mustang how much nitrous?

i have a 1986 fox body 5.0 ho stock motor that has forged flat top pistons. It has 200hp now. Going to put a 255 pump and msd in it what is the biggest shot i can put on the motor without blowing it?
Darkmyth is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 02-28-2010   #2 (permalink)
chardiesel66 is offline Made Member

5.0L Member


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 522 Threads: 59
 chardiesel66's Country Flag
Waldorf   Maryland
chardiesel66 is on a distinguished road
Default

max i would put to it would be a 100shot but a 75 would keep it on the safeside.

i dont mean to rain on your parade but if your goin to buy a kit why not save a couple extra dollars and get a intake and heads

just my thinking but like i said max i would do would be a 100shot for engine longevity
__________________
1991 hatch 347 forged bottom end.
Tube front end, auburn rear, 5 lug conversion,TKO500
little bit of everything.
2002 blazer-sold 1998 mustang gt-sold 2004 silverado-Trade-in 1991 mustang-trailer queen. 2008 Chevy 2500 ltz duramax
chardiesel66 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-28-2010   #3 (permalink)
RLG34750
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

why not put that money toward a decent H/C/I

for what you have a MSD will not do anything really noticeable.....

stock ignition is more than enough at this time......


n2o is a power adder not a power substitute.....
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #4 (permalink)
#ofthebeast is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
5.0L Member


Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 145 Threads: 29
 #ofthebeast's Country Flag  View #ofthebeast's 18 photos
Waukesha   Wisconsin
#ofthebeast is on a distinguished road
Default

my 89 has been ran for 3 seasons spraying 150 to 175 shot on stock longblock. She loves it. it's a nitrous works wet kit. My 5.0 also has 100.000 on her..
#ofthebeast is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #5 (permalink)
Darkmyth is offline Rookie

5.0L Member


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 13 Threads: 3
 Darkmyth's Country Flag
plano   Texas
Darkmyth is on a distinguished road
Default

ok my civic does a 100 shot no problem with no foged parts and is a 4 banger i was hopeing 200 shot my car only has 65000 on it
Darkmyth is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #6 (permalink)
batlaxe is offline Apprentice


Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 81 Threads: 1
 batlaxe's Country Flag  View batlaxe's 9 photos
Winnipeg, MB   Manitoba
batlaxe is on a distinguished road
Default

Your 86 Mustang doesn't have forged pistons either, unless your motor came from a newer car.

In my opinion there are better ways to get more power out of the stock motor. Then add your nitrous.
batlaxe is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #7 (permalink)
Darkmyth is offline Rookie

5.0L Member


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 13 Threads: 3
 Darkmyth's Country Flag
plano   Texas
Darkmyth is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlaxe View Post
Your 86 Mustang doesn't have forged pistons either, unless your motor came from a newer car.

In my opinion there are better ways to get more power out of the stock motor. Then add your nitrous.
yes it does do your homework better next time
Darkmyth is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #8 (permalink)
1onebadfox is offline Made Member

V6 Member
5.0L Member


Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 702 Threads: 19
 1onebadfox's Country Flag  View 1onebadfox's 19 photos  View 1onebadfox's HomePage
Sherman   Texas
1onebadfox is on a distinguished road
Default

slap the wet nitrous kit on there with 150 shot and colder plugs. do a h/c/i swap for a real nice kick in the pants when you hit the little red GO button
__________________
91 mustang coupe: 331 stroker, jr heads, Vic intake, 292h cam, Holley hp carb, bottle fed, 5 lug disc swap, prostars, built rear with 4.56 gears, etc...
97 mustang 3.8: stock daily driver
1onebadfox is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #9 (permalink)
RLG34750
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlaxe View Post
Your 86 Mustang doesn't have forged pistons either, unless your motor came from a newer car.

In my opinion there are better ways to get more power out of the stock motor. Then add your nitrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmyth View Post
yes it does do your homework better next time

1985 -- 210 HP @ 4400

  • Hydraulic roller tappet camshaft introduced. 266' duration, .444 valve lift
  • Revised block (122 lb.) with two retainer bosses for roller tappets.
  • New cylinder heads, revised to allow service removal of the roller tappets
  • Distributor drive gear material changed to be compatible with steel camshaft
  • Forged pistons with low tension rings and thicker ring lands. Compression remained at 8.4:1
  • Holley 4180C carburetor, with improved secondary metering
  • Water pump impeller diameter increased to 4.4" for increased flow
  • Stainless steel tubular headers
1986 -- 200 HP @ 4000

  • Stronger block (126 lb.) incorporating "squared bores" for better oil control.
  • Compression increased to 9.2:1 with flat-top pistons
  • Masked intake valve, high-swirl cylinder heads, casting # E6AE-AA. This head was also used on 1986/91 normal passenger car engines.
  • Roller cam same as 1985
  • First year for multi-port speed density fuel injection, 58 mm throttle body, 19 lbs/hr. injectors
  • Dropped cold start exhaust control valve, header outlet size changed to 2 1/4"
  • New water pump with exit scroll and more efficient impeller.
So yes the 86 does have forged pistons.........

93 was the first year for the hypers.....
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #10 (permalink)
Darkmyth is offline Rookie

5.0L Member


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 13 Threads: 3
 Darkmyth's Country Flag
plano   Texas
Darkmyth is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG34750 View Post
1985 -- 210 HP @ 4400

  • Hydraulic roller tappet camshaft introduced. 266' duration, .444 valve lift
  • Revised block (122 lb.) with two retainer bosses for roller tappets.
  • New cylinder heads, revised to allow service removal of the roller tappets
  • Distributor drive gear material changed to be compatible with steel camshaft
  • Forged pistons with low tension rings and thicker ring lands. Compression remained at 8.4:1
  • Holley 4180C carburetor, with improved secondary metering
  • Water pump impeller diameter increased to 4.4" for increased flow
  • Stainless steel tubular headers
1986 -- 200 HP @ 4000

  • Stronger block (126 lb.) incorporating "squared bores" for better oil control.
  • Compression increased to 9.2:1 with flat-top pistons
  • Masked intake valve, high-swirl cylinder heads, casting # E6AE-AA. This head was also used on 1986/91 normal passenger car engines.
  • Roller cam same as 1985
  • First year for multi-port speed density fuel injection, 58 mm throttle body, 19 lbs/hr. injectors
  • Dropped cold start exhaust control valve, header outlet size changed to 2 1/4"
  • New water pump with exit scroll and more efficient impeller.
So yes the 86 does have forged pistons.........

93 was the first year for the hypers.....
i like you you know your stuff
Darkmyth is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #11 (permalink)
Darkmyth is offline Rookie

5.0L Member


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 13 Threads: 3
 Darkmyth's Country Flag
plano   Texas
Darkmyth is on a distinguished road
Default

what is h/c/i? I cant find what it is.
Darkmyth is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #12 (permalink)
RLG34750
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmyth View Post
what is h/c/i? I cant find what it is.
Heads......Cam.....Intake....
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #13 (permalink)
#ofthebeast is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
5.0L Member


Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 145 Threads: 29
 #ofthebeast's Country Flag  View #ofthebeast's 18 photos
Waukesha   Wisconsin
#ofthebeast is on a distinguished road
Default

150 shot on stock guts seams to be the safe number!!!!! and yes on the colder plug I run autolite 133's and most important is your timing. My base timing is 16* and when spraying the car you have to take a bunch out depending on the shot. For my car for the 150 I take the timing back to 8* to 10* and 6* to 8* on the 175.. I have a 190 fuel pump, 65mm t/b and maf. stock 19# inj. better have some good rubber. Im at about 400hp sprayed.
#ofthebeast is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-01-2010   #14 (permalink)
Darkmyth is offline Rookie

5.0L Member


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 13 Threads: 3
 Darkmyth's Country Flag
plano   Texas
Darkmyth is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ofthebeast View Post
150 shot on stock guts seams to be the safe number!!!!! and yes on the colder plug I run autolite 133's and most important is your timing. My base timing is 16* and when spraying the car you have to take a bunch out depending on the shot. For my car for the 150 I take the timing back to 8* to 10* and 6* to 8* on the 175.. I have a 190 fuel pump, 65mm t/b and maf. stock 19# inj. better have some good rubber. Im at about 400hp sprayed.
i got some MT drag/street radi's on the car
Darkmyth is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172