starter solenoid problem with my 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010 Thread Starter
starter solenoid problem with my 1989 Mustang LX 5.0

If anyone knows how to fix this problem please let me know! I have gone through about 4 starters now because of this. I'm having a problem with the starter solenoid causing the starter to continue to run after I start my car. I can get it to stop by opening the hood and hitting the solenoid w/ a hard object. I have changed the solenoid about 3 times to try and find if thats the problem. But it still is happening and I'm continuing to blow starters because of it. If you know what I have to change to get this to stop please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010
Had the same problem with a 5.0 grand marquis a couple months ago at shop.. We were putting borg warner solenoids on it. Put a motorcraft solenoid on it and problem solved. Give that a shot. Also double check the small wire on the solenoid and make sure its not still getting power with the key in the RUN position. If it is you'll need to replace the ignition switch. G/L
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010
5.0L Member
Hey PT,

I have the same problem on my 90 LX. I have changed the solenoid but it (the problem) has resurfaced after about two months. I was told to get a new solenoid from Ford (about $40.00) but haven't tried this yet. Also, get someone to check the voltage to the solenoid with key turned on and starting then off. Supposedly the voltage will be 12 volts cranking and 0 volts when turned back to off. Did you get any answers yet to your issue? Supposedly their are some solenoids that do not work well but have seen you have tried more than twice to replace them. I think I am going to try the one from Ford dealership next. Let me know if you have found the problem as mine comes and goes but tapping the solenoid with a wrench seems to disengage starter. Some others have said to check wiring for lose connections and make sure the solenoid is grounded well on the firewall. Good luck as this is a nagging problem.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page