Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-11-2011   #1 (permalink)
TravisCadello is offline GT Member

TravisCadello's Country Flag  View TravisCadello's 7 photos
Houston   Texas
TravisCadello is on a distinguished road
Default how to set distributor timing.

ok just built my 306 runnin gt40 intakes,bbk throttle body, 24lbs injectors and a good size comp cam not sure which one. well my cousin was telling me i was wrong about how i set the timing.

i havent tried to fire up the new motor yet i wanna make sure all is good first, but what i did was set the number one piston at top dead center and put dizzy rotor pointed at number one fire, well my cousin is saying i need to set the number one piston at the compression stroke which i have no clue about.

so what is the easiest way?

Thanks its a 94.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2011   #2 (permalink)
Jaysizzle is offline PONY Member

Jaysizzle's Country Flag
Spruce Pine   North Carolina
Jaysizzle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jaysizzle Send a message via Yahoo to Jaysizzle

With mine on TDC my rotor button is pointed dead in the middle of the intake.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra

1995 Ford Mustang v8 Project Car

2007 Mazda 3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-11-2011   #3 (permalink)
bmo37 is offline Apprentice

bmo37's Country Flag
Central   New Jersey
bmo37 is on a distinguished road

Yep he's right, take the number 1 spark plug out, wad some paper up and shove it in the hole. Hand crank the engine over, when the paper shoots out thats the compression stroke, back crank it (this is if you passed tdc on the damper if you go slow and catch it early you should be approaching TDC) and align the rotor to the 1 on the cap while the point is on TDC on the damper. Put plugs back in and start her up. After that remove the spout connector (grey fuse jumper box) loosen the distributor hold down and break out the timing light and set for 10 degree BTDC, replace spout.
Unread 03-11-2011   #4 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

ok when it pushes the paper out is that when i stop and set it or do i need to put somethin in plug hole to ensure the cyl is at TDC?
Unread 03-11-2011   #5 (permalink)
bmo37 is offline Apprentice

bmo37's Country Flag
Central   New Jersey
bmo37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisCadello View Post
ok when it pushes the paper out is that when i stop and set it or do i need to put somethin in plug hole to ensure the cyl is at TDC?
Technically you dont have to use paper (could use ur finger) and if you go slow enough as you feel the air and approach the top of the stroke your damper should be approaching TDC. So you move it untill you feel the air and continue turning until the damper is at TDC. This is when you drop the distributor in and make sure the rotor is facing the number 1 on the cap.

#1 hand crank it slowly
#2 once you feel air out of the #1 spark plug hole continue turning until the damper is TDC
#3 once pointer is ATDC install distributor so rotor points to #1 marking on the cap.
Unread 03-11-2011   #6 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

Thanks!
Unread 03-13-2011   #7 (permalink)
erob914 is offline Apprentice

2.3L Member

erob914's Country Flag
Loganville   Georgia
erob914 is on a distinguished road

If you dont have a timing light handy her is how you get your timing close to where you need it.
After you get the distributer in the block with the engine at TDC compression put the balancer TDC mark on the degree mark you want your base timing to be. Approach the timing mark in the direction of engine rotation. Make sure your spout jumper is disconnected. Then turn your distributor slooowly until you hear a snap under the cap.
At this point your timing is set close to the degree mark you have the TDC mark lined up with. Good enough for a road test.

Make damn sure you have #1 spark plug wire on the plug and your junk clear of the fender. If you cant figure out why then have a friend make a video of you setting the timing this way.
Unread 03-13-2011   #8 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

got it on first try! brand new motor fired right up. only problem is its a bit jumpy when at a steady throttle cruisin. maybe just play with distrutor untill it smoothens out like i did before or pay mechanic to set it right.

only thing is i dont know if setting the timing exactly what the stock is recromended for will run right for the cam im running. its a pretty big comp cam.
Unread 03-15-2011   #9 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

ok, now to get timing better in shape its a bit jumpy when driveing.

well i got a timing light but now i need to know what am i looking for on the harmonic balancer? does it need to flash on the 0 degree number or what am i looking for? also how do i dissconnect the spout connector?
Unread 03-15-2011   #10 (permalink)
alleymad95GT is offline MACH I Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

alleymad95GT's Country Flag  View alleymad95GT's 10 photos  View alleymad95GT's HomePage
Okemos   Michigan
alleymad95GT is on a distinguished road

SPOUT is just a little gray plastic plug that is nothing more than a jumper. On an sn with the original harness, it is over kind of between the airbox and the fender, right by the MAF. It just dangles there.

Just pull it out to remove it.

To set the timing:

Allow car to reach operating temp

Shut off

Pull SPOUT

Start car (may need to fiddle with throttle body if base timing is off in order to get car to run)

Loosen distributor hold down bolt

Point timing light at balancer

Factory setting is 10 BTDC. SO...on a plain-Jane timing light, that simply flashes in-sync with the plug firing, it should flash at 10 BTDC...

Turn distributor (don't wrench on the cap - actually turn the distributor) to get desired timing

Tighten hold down bolt

Shut off car

Re-install SPOUT

Drive

Now, I don't know what your build is designed for. If you have a high compression engine, you may have different octane requirements...

If the engine is built to run on 87 octane fuel, then you want the most advance that you can have without any pinging on 87 octane fuel. Try 14, see if it pings. If not, you may even try 16...I doubt it, but you might try it...if it does ping, just back it down a degree or two until it stops pinging under load.

Now, ultimately, whatever octane you are using, you want the most timing for that octane that you can run without ping. BUT, DO NOT USE HIGHER OCTANE JUST TO GET MORE TIMING...that is useless. Use higher octane if your engine build requires it, but other than that stick with 87...

Make sense?

2006 GT - Vortech polished w/ intercooler, Eibach suspension, Hurst short-throw, some other goodies - tuned by Paul's High Performance. It moves...

and it collects dust admirably while parked for repairs in the garage...

SOLD - 1995 Black Mustang GT, AODE. Loved it, but I had to let it go...

mjmalegalsolutions.com
Unread 03-16-2011   #11 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleymad95GT View Post
SPOUT is just a little gray plastic plug that is nothing more than a jumper. On an sn with the original harness, it is over kind of between the airbox and the fender, right by the MAF. It just dangles there.

Just pull it out to remove it.

To set the timing:

Allow car to reach operating temp

Shut off

Pull SPOUT

Start car (may need to fiddle with throttle body if base timing is off in order to get car to run)

Loosen distributor hold down bolt

Point timing light at balancer

Factory setting is 10 BTDC. SO...on a plain-Jane timing light, that simply flashes in-sync with the plug firing, it should flash at 10 BTDC...

Turn distributor (don't wrench on the cap - actually turn the distributor) to get desired timing

Tighten hold down bolt

Shut off car

Re-install SPOUT

Drive

Now, I don't know what your build is designed for. If you have a high compression engine, you may have different octane requirements...

If the engine is built to run on 87 octane fuel, then you want the most advance that you can have without any pinging on 87 octane fuel. Try 14, see if it pings. If not, you may even try 16...I doubt it, but you might try it...if it does ping, just back it down a degree or two until it stops pinging under load.

Now, ultimately, whatever octane you are using, you want the most timing for that octane that you can run without ping. BUT, DO NOT USE HIGHER OCTANE JUST TO GET MORE TIMING...that is useless. Use higher octane if your engine build requires it, but other than that stick with 87...

Make sense?

makes compelte sense thanks for taking your time and explaining it. and my build is a regular 306 with speed pro forged pistons 4 valve releaves. only specils is a big comp cam and gt 40 intake and 24lbs injectors.

should i run a higher octane just for the bigger cam or no? it cams really hard shakes the rubber on the tires just idling.

and i think the spout your talking about is a grey connector by the passenger side shock tower? if so what u mean pull it if its just layin their?
Unread 03-16-2011   #12 (permalink)
alleymad95GT is offline MACH I Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

alleymad95GT's Country Flag  View alleymad95GT's 10 photos  View alleymad95GT's HomePage
Okemos   Michigan
alleymad95GT is on a distinguished road

That is the SPOUT you found. Mine is gray as well.

The gray plug can be pulled out of the harness. It looks like a Lego...

Anyhow, you have to pull it to prevent the computer from electronically advancing the timing while you spin the distributor...it is required that you remove the spout in order to set the base timing...basically, you are breaking the circuit to the TFI, making the electronic timing advance inoperable...

Big cam or not, the car should idle smoothly if everything is correct...it can lope a lot, but still be smooth, if that makes sense...big cam should not really cause vibration...

I am no engine builder by a long shot. I cannot really explain why your car may be idling roughly...but, I know that there are many components that are affected by a cam change that can wreak havoc on the car's idle if they are not properly installed and checked...basically, the valvetrain geometry being even a bit off can cause pretty significant idle issues...

About all I can say is to get the timing set correctly and go from there. Then, at least, you will know if that was the issue or not. If you get it set to say between 10 and 14 degrees BTDC and it smooths out the idle, then that is great...if you do that and it doesn't smooth out the idle, well...

For now, just get the timing set and go from there...

2006 GT - Vortech polished w/ intercooler, Eibach suspension, Hurst short-throw, some other goodies - tuned by Paul's High Performance. It moves...

and it collects dust admirably while parked for repairs in the garage...

SOLD - 1995 Black Mustang GT, AODE. Loved it, but I had to let it go...

mjmalegalsolutions.com
Unread 03-17-2011   #13 (permalink)

Houston   Texas

ok, i understand everything except one thing. where do i point the timing light? i looked and looked and looked notthin tells me what im point at. i know on the harmonic balancer but where do i need to be with the timing gun where do i need to be located at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172