Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-20-2011   #1 (permalink)
harrydangler is offline Rookie

harrydangler's Country Flag
dexter   Michigan
harrydangler is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission vibration felt in shifter

I have a 1988 Mustang LX that I just bought and it has the t-5 transmission in it (I was raised a Chevy Guy But I love Mustangs) but the thing is that it vibrates really bad when I'm holding onto the shifter when I'm accelerating fast (Vibrates more when I'm on the highway). It vibrates so much that the rear view mirror looks like it's having a Seizure.

The guy told me that he had a new Clutch put in recently and I don't know if maybe they didn't put it back together right. I don't know if it's the Drive shaft, Flywheel or something else all together, but even when I push in the clutch it still vibrates but not as much, and It doesn't feel like its the U-joint either.

I Just don't want to rip out the transmission to find out it was something else...

Please help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2011   #2 (permalink)
White Elephant is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

White Elephant's Country Flag  View White Elephant's 19 photos
Greer   South Carolina
White Elephant is on a distinguished road

Does it vibrate the most in third gear? First, you need to find out what kind of shifter it is. Pop off the plastic shifter bezel, remove the knob & shifter boot. Does it have any adjustment screws? If so, then it's an aftermarket shifter. I had a kirban quick shift handle bolted to my stock shifter base at one time, and it rattled like crazy under acceleration in third.
Another reason for your vibration could be the harmonic balancer. Stock ones are a two piece design with an inner & outer ring, seperated by a rubber divider. The outer ring can "walk" away from the inner, causing vibration. Do a visual inspection to determine this.
1990 Oxford White GT(The White Elephant) Maximum Motorsports subframes & c/c plates , Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster "Delta Flow" mufflers, 3.73's & Mac girdle, A/C, EGR, & Smog deleted, "B" Springs, chrome Pony R's 17x8, 17x10 daily driver!
2003 SVT Cobra, Redfire Metallic
JLT RamAir Intake, Billetflow 2.93 pulley+ idlers, Mac Pro-Chamber O/R mid-pipe, Nitto 315 dr's,Billetflow brace,weight reduction, Tuned by Amazon T.S. w/ SCT software- 451rwhp/457tq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-20-2011   #3 (permalink)
MustangBradley is offline PONY Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

MustangBradley's Country Flag  View MustangBradley's HomePage
Central   Florida
MustangBradley is on a distinguished road

A bad transmission mount will allow excessive vibrations too.
Unread 09-21-2011   #4 (permalink)
spdjnky_42 is offline Top Dog

5.0L Member

spdjnky_42's Country Flag  View spdjnky_42's 21 photos
St.Louis   Missouri
spdjnky_42 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to spdjnky_42

I would start with the visuals. Check for the harmonic balancer to have a wobble or chunks of rubber or no rubber at all. Check for bad mounts, Pull the driveshaft check for loose or too tight joints. After that it could be a bad torque job on the clutch.
Unread 09-21-2011   #5 (permalink)

dexter   Michigan

I know it's not the shifter because I just threw in a B&M and the same problem is still happening even after I adjusted the screw.

I saw that the Transmission mount needs some attention, so this weekend I'm going to put it in and let you guys know what happened... I didn't think about the Harmonic Balancer though. I'll look at the drive shaft too.

Thanks for the input guys!
Unread 10-05-2011   #6 (permalink)

dexter   Michigan

So I put the new transmission mount in this weekend and it help a lot but it still vibrates. I noticed that at higher rpm when I push in the clutch it goes away and when I engage it again while the rpm's are still up the vibration comes back.

Also when I'm shifting from first to second gear (accelerating fast) it SLAMS really hard when I push the clutch in. Could it be the motor mount probably?

I was watching the harmonic balancer and it does have a very slight wobble to it as well so I'm thinking on ordering one too.

Last edited by harrydangler; 10-05-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: add problem notice on vehicle
Unread 10-05-2011   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Central   Florida

With the car running, and in neutral, if you only push the clutch in, does this affect the vibrations? If you then put it in gear, is it hard to put into First? With the trans in neutral and the clutch out, the input shaft is turning at the same rate as then engine. If you then push in the clutch, it is still rotating. Only after you put it in gear does that input shaft stop rotating (assuming you have tight tolerances on the clutch). With it now in gear, and the clutch to the floor, does your vibration decrease?

If it does, I'd wager you have a bad bearing on the input shaft.

At the least, you may have to drop the trans to verify they installed the clutch right. At worst, you are looking at a rebuild, but you may get lucky and only need to replace the input shaft bearing, but don't count on that.
Unread 10-05-2011   #8 (permalink)

dexter   Michigan

I'll try that out tomorrow and let you know...

I noticed today while driving that it vibrates in the shifter a lot at 75 mph and if I push in the clutch it calms down but not too much and when I drop my speed down 65 mph it goes away and when I'm accelerating fast over 2000 rpm in first and second gear it's really bad

its not hard to shift into first at all though

After reading up on throw out bearing symptoms I remembered that I it has a ticking noise that gets louder when I accelerate, but I thought it was just my exhaust leaking, valve tic or something... it could be the throw out bearing

Last edited by harrydangler; 10-05-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: add symptoms
Unread 10-05-2011   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Central   Florida

You need to get this looked at ASAP since those vibrations are causing the stress levels on the other parts to rise, which leads to premature wear and/or failure.
Unread 10-05-2011   #10 (permalink)

dexter   Michigan

Read this and let me know if you think this sounds right because it does feel like it's missing a little

What does a bad throwout bearing sound like? - Mustang Forums at StangNet

It just doesn't make that throw out bearing noise that most people talk about (chirping)

Last edited by harrydangler; 10-05-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fix
Unread 10-06-2011   #11 (permalink)
spdjnky_42 is offline Top Dog

5.0L Member

spdjnky_42's Country Flag  View spdjnky_42's 21 photos
St.Louis   Missouri
spdjnky_42 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to spdjnky_42

Fist you said when you push in the clutch it goes away. For that I would start with the harmonic balancer, if that doesnt fix it then its the clutch. HOWEVER, if it is still there when you push in the clutch and only slightly dissappears then its most likely a u joint. pull the driveshaft if it has play in them change them. If there is a tight one use a socket and hammer to try and seat it correctly when it moves freely your good. Otherwise have them replaced. Only other thing if its there during speed with no rpms would be an axle bearing or bent axle. this is not very common. As for the banging yes you have a bad driver side motor mount, switch them to poly
Unread 10-06-2011   #12 (permalink)

dexter   Michigan

The U-joints look and feel fine and I greased the Zerk fitting on both of em too while I had it on the hoist.

I'm gonna check out the timing and make sure my spark plugs are gapped right and Test the TPS ect. to see if I'm having a Detonation problem (Make it run right first so I don't have to spend a bunch of money) Then if that doesn't do anything then I will check the Harmonic Balancer, U Joints again then if that doesn't work I'll put the car in the garage for the winter and rip out the damn transmission and have my Uncle Dave rebuild it and Replace everything (I was trying to avoid being a "Parts Man" and Diagnose the problem the right way)

I bought the car for $800 and its not in the best shape, it's a project car. I was just trying to see what bad parts would cause that type of vibration

Thank for the input and I will let you guys know what I come up with.

Last edited by harrydangler; 10-06-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: fix
Unread 10-06-2011   #13 (permalink)
MelloStang is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member

MelloStang's Country Flag  View MelloStang's 12 photos
Fall River   Massachusetts
MelloStang is on a distinguished road

good luck man it sounds like an issue i have as well a vibration above 65 that isnt there with rpm in any gear just road speed ....these are the things thatll make you drink lol

"I worship the sun and i pray to Joe Pesci, because he looks like a guy who can get things done" George Carlin
Unread 10-06-2011   #14 (permalink)

dexter   Michigan

I know something is wrong with the way its running and it feels like its missing. The only way I can describe the noise is that it sounds like the muffler is under water a little bit, it "Ticks" when accelerating only when there is a load being put on it and when I'm above 65 and let off the gas it "Hums" on the front passanger side (the Hum could be the wheel bearing I think) and its somewhat sluggish but not too bad. But my brother messed with the distributor and backed it off a few so it wouldn't use as much gas vs when we he advanced the timing so I think that might be one of the problems but I don't recall if the vibration went away when he advanced the timing.

And also my wheel bearing is out on the passanger side front and it feels like the motor mount is out on the driver side, I need all new suspension parts (shocks struts and springs are shot) so I'm just gonna mess with the timing again and fix what I know is wrong with it so I can "cross off" those parts for causing the vibration.

Last edited by harrydangler; 10-06-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: fix
Unread 10-06-2011   #15 (permalink)

dexter   Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangBradley View Post
With the car running, and in neutral, if you only push the clutch in, does this affect the vibrations? If you then put it in gear, is it hard to put into First? With the <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> in neutral and the clutch out, the input shaft is turning at the same rate as then engine. If you then push in the clutch, it is still rotating. Only after you put it in gear does that input shaft stop rotating (assuming you have tight tolerances on the clutch). With it now in gear, and the clutch to the floor, does your vibration decrease?

If it does, I'd wager you have a bad bearing on the input shaft.

At the least, you may have to drop the <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> to verify they installed the clutch right. At worst, you are looking at a rebuild, but you may get lucky and only need to replace the input shaft bearing, but don't count on that.
Now the cars shifter doesn't vibrate in when Idling so I couldn't tell you. (hoping I read your comment right)

But what if I take it on the highway (when Vibration starts) and I put it in neutral with the clutch engaged or disengaged and I tell you if the vibration is still there or if it goes away... would that tell you anything?

I'll go try to mess with it today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164