First post and 1987 Mustang GT AOD Transmission questions - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012 Thread Starter
First post and 1987 Mustang GT AOD Transmission questions

Hey guys this is my first post, i would do a first post in a 'introduce yourself' thread but i cant find one so here i am, I'm 17 and i got a neglected 87 Mustang GT 5.0 Convertible this past December, me and my father ( with a bad back ) are going to restore it this year.

Anyway on to my question, My AOD doesnt have 3rd or 4th gear, so im looking to just buy a used one to swap in and get me around till spring cause i don't have a place to do a rebuild on the current tranny, im looking for a practical bolt in, I've read that 89+ AOD's use full electronic shifting and will not work in 88 and lower Mustangs.

In other words, what year and model transmissions will bolt into my 87 Mustang?, I need to know what to look for, also will a AOD from the 4 cyl motor work with the 5.0? or is it weaker?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012
4-cylinder cars don't have AODs, they have A4LDs. A4LDs weren't tough enough for the 2.3s they were bolted behind.

As far as an AOD goes, use to find one near you. It uses the Hollander exchange so it "should" only look up compatible transmissions if you put in the right information.

When you go to install the AOD, you'll need to adjust the throttle valve cable, if you don't, you'll be right back where you are. Also make sure your current TV cable's bushing is in good shape at the throttle body. If it's broken or missing, order a brass one from

For instructions on how to adjust the AOD's TV cable, hit Youtube, there are several good videos there on how to do it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012 Thread Starter
Could a bad TV cable be causing the transmission not to shift into 3 or 4? Some butt head told me that the cable at the throttle plate was a Cruise Control cable, and the bushing is gone, the throttle plate would stick on the nub of the TV cable and keep the car at WOT sometimes ( almost got killed by this ) so i flipped it up onto the TB so its out of the way, thank you sir, i will fix this and see how the trans acts after that. i figure going that long without the bushing its fried anyway.

Im new to Auto trans mechanics, im used to Manual.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page