1986 Mustang Belt Routing Question - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007 Thread Starter
1986 Mustang Belt Routing Question

Hi, my name is Jim. I live in Florida. I have a 1986 mustang that came with a six cylinder and i just installed a 1991 gt 5.0 motor in it. I just fired it off yesterday and still have a lot of work to finish. My first question as a new member is... Im not running a smog pump or air conditioning, do i have to buy some other bracket to make this work as far as routing of my belt? Believe me I have a few more questions that i need answers to. Thanks for the help..
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007
Made Member
V6 Member
Hi Jim and welcome to the site. If you're asking a technical question you should put it in the correct tech forum so more people can find it and help you.

1994 Ford Mustang Convertible!!!
Saleen full body kit, true dual performance exhaust, shelby hood scoop, CAI, BBK underdrive pullies, 8.8 3.55 posi rear end, Custom painted stripes and interior!!

1988 Mustang GT 5.0 5 speed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007
4.6L Member
S197 Member
Hello Jim and welcome to the site!! Be sure
to post some pictures into your gallery!! Enjoy!!

Can life get any better????
2006 Mustang GT :myangel
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Welcome... Check the 5.0 Mustang tech section...

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007
Made Member
4.6L Member
Just take a string and make sure u go the correct direction of rotation for the accessories. But If I remember correctly the belt is 4 inches shorter than stock without the AC and smog, but it has been like 8 years since I had my 86gt. Napa is real good about having different length belts to try out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007
2.3L Member
5.0L Member
you might need a a/c delete kit or a power steer pump relocation kit..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member
Send a message via AIM to 87stang 5.0
im pretty sure you need and idle pulley for both smog and a/c if you want to use the stock belt, they sell them at 50resto.com

New addition: 1986 GT t-tops 5.0L 5speed, intake, exhaust,9mm plug wires

1987 Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed,white with smoke grey interior,MAF conversion,Perfection clutch(valeo)2.5inch Ravin exhaust, subframe connectors, ported lower intake & heads=SOLD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member
Send a message via AIM to downsideup09
forget the idler pulleys, they still create friction even if very little its easier just to do as said above and measure and buy the correct belt

93 lx 5.0, king kobra clutch, bbk 65mm throttle body, 3.73's, electric fan, full length headers, march underdrive pulleys, no smog pump, cats cut off,bbk cold air intake, edelbrock performers, 24lb injectors, 255 lph fuel pump, trick flow track heat intake and crane 2030 13.77@102
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page