engine backfire after heads, cam, & intake install - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007 Thread Starter
5.0L Member
Great... I will be running out tonight to see what my local dealer has and price compare. Thanks again for all the help!
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007 Thread Starter
5.0L Member
I put on the new mass air meter and that seems to have pretty much done the trick. Still need to mess with the timing a bit, but it's idling much better now.

I still have some loud rockers though. With the Edelbrock Performer Aluminum heads would I need longer than stock pushrods? I was told I could keep the stock pushrods. I checked the one side already and it looks like everthing is getting oil but a least a couple of the rockers are fairly loud ticking. I also double checked the pushrods to make sure they were not damaged or bent and they seemed ok.

I'm going to recheck all the rockers to make sure they are set correctly, but wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue where I needed different pushrods since I changed the heads.
PONY Member
If the rockers are ticking then I'd say they're not adjusted properly.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007 Thread Starter
5.0L Member
Figured I would post a couple pics of my engine after the mods. Still looks pretty stock except for the obvious changes (like intake and cold air.) For the most part the new heads aren't noticeable so still has a stock feel to it until the car starts <g>.

Also included a shot of the car. Car is a work in progress. I just purchased the new rims and need to lower the car now. Also the paint is bad on the car so that will be done probably over the winter. I'm hoping a good buff out will make the paint match enough to get me through the summer.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010080.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	28045   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010081.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	28046   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010082.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	28047   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010085.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	28048  
5.0L Member
Sweet I wish mine looked as good, LOL

The intake, and head combo realy kicks in at about 3400 RPM.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
I read that you hadn't tightened down the exhaust yet. Sounds like the problem was the MAF, but if you have an exhaust leak before the O2 sensors, outside air will be pulled into the exhaust stream, and past the O2s, which will think that the exhaust is lean. They will then tell the computer to send more fuel, causing a rich running engine, but error codes which denote a lean condition.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007 Thread Starter
5.0L Member
When I originally fired the engine I didn't have the exhaust tightened down. I did fasten up the exhaust after the engine fired the first time. The MAF seemed to do the trick with the idle.

I do have one remainig issue I can't figure out. The drivers side (either 7 or 8) still has a lifter tick. I readjusted the rockers and everything is in spec. I'm debating on replacing the pushrods for 7 or 8 just in case they have some damage that I'm not seeing. I'm assuming that the stock length is ok since the other rockers are quite (or at least normal sound for roller rockers.) It looks like everything is getting oil when I take the valve covers off. Also back when I originally primed the oil pump I made sure that oil was coming through all the pushrods.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page