What kind of oil should i use? - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007 Thread Starter
What kind of oil should i use?

I have a 93GT with 122,000 miles on it, i was thinking about using the high mileage oil in a 10w40 weight, (i live in FL and its always hot) with the engine restore product but i dont know if it is worth it or not...or should i go in another direction? any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007
PONY Member
I live in Florida myself, and my car has almost 140,000 miles and I use regular Valvoline 10w-30 oil. I beat the crap out of it on the weekends at the autocross, and the oil stays clean up to every 4,000 mile oil change. So as long as you're not burning any oil, I'd stay with what has worked for you.

I have a 89 Ford E-150 van I bought new here in FL, I run straight 30w in and it has well over 200,000 miles on it with no problems. I'm a firm believer that weight doesn't make much difference in the FL weather except that a higher weight will decrease you fuel milage. Now if you lived up North that would be a differnt story.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007
I have to use a heavier weight in my worn out 91, 15W-40; if I use 5w- 30 my oil pressure is very low.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007
5.0L Member
I live in Canada,only summer drive my car & I run 20w50 oil freshly rebuilt.
Most guys I know here run the same.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member
Send a message via AIM to 87stang 5.0
if it were you i would just run some regulatr10w-30 and if it burns some oil get used to it, you could switch to 10-40 but nothing heavier becuase it will hurt your gas mileage and power too

and i have herd some good things about Restore, it doesnt cost much so you cant loose much if you see no improvment

New addition: 1986 GT t-tops 5.0L 5speed, intake, exhaust,9mm plug wires

1987 Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed,white with smoke grey interior,MAF conversion,Perfection clutch(valeo)2.5inch Ravin exhaust, subframe connectors, ported lower intake & heads=SOLD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007
PONY Member
5.0L Member
Ford reccomends 10w-30.
I like Valvoline also.
I run Valvoline VR-1 10w-30 in my new GT-40 Ford Racing Crate Motor.
Only because I mainly drag race my car, not a daily driver.
I talked to Ford Racing when I bought my motor. They said to run 10w-30 conventional oil.
On my old 5.0 motor, one of the lifters would hang up and tick after a 1/4 mile pass. I started running 4-qts Valvoline 10w-40 Max-Life with 1-qt of Lucas Oil heavy Duty Stabilizer. That combo helped the ticking.

If your not having any problems, as stated above, go with Valvoline 10w-30.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007
V6 Member
new to the forum

hi, i own a 94 mustang with a v6, has 202000 miles on it. i was just wondering what type of oil i should run in it to keep it going. is there anything else i can do to get the max life out of my engine? how long should it last?
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page