Ford Mustang Forum banner

does the FRPP alum driveshaft make noticeable difference?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  mhuggler 
#1 ·
for $300 just wondering if there is a noticeable improvement using it?

#2 ·
$300?? Are you looking at a brand new one? You can find them online for anywhere between $100 and $150. I bought mine for $100 about 2 years ago. I did not notice any difference between the stock one and the aluminum one. It just lightens the car a little bit. If you're looking for every little advantage at the track, it will make a slight weight difference.

#4 ·
A FRPP driveshaft is worth every penny in my opinion. If I ever build another car a good driveshaft will be the first part I buy. The shafts in these Fox Mustangs are 25 or 30 years old, used and abused. Mine didn't even drive like the same car with FRPP driveshaft installed, the stock 25 year old driveshaft was just junk.

#7 ·
In most cases, the driveshaft can be rebalanced/Rebuilt by a professional driveline shop for a fraction of the FRPP costs. If it is bent, damaged beyond repair, again, a good driveline shop can build one for you with over-the-counter type components that are a fraction of the FRPP cost and also take into specific issues you may have with that particular vehicle.....including wear signs on the current driveshaft. If you desire the stickers and the receipts to show an FRPP purchased product for bragging rights (even in racing conditions), that's all fine & good, but completely unnecessary for any operational venue....and you can always buy the "stickers" online :grin:

Also...I agree this is an excellent article...

Read this and then you be the judge.
TCCoA Transmission Article - Page 17

Reactions: sobercuban
#5 ·
As in improvement you mean hp....no not really.
Is it part of the puzzle when you are building up your ride......yes.

#6 ·
A lighter alum driveshaft reduces the rotating mass weight. The companies that
make them claim that it allows your engine to rev up faster. Personally I
don't think so. I have heard about the ears twisting off alum drive shafts
on cars driven by guys who like to dump the clutch a lot but I think that has
to do with how heavy the car is and how well your tires hook up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.