Ford Mustang Forum banner

High engine temps

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  ItalianM4fia 
#1 ·
I've build my HCI engine and I'm running a 165 thermostat and the engine temps still go up and up highest I've let them go is 220 in the city but on the highway is runs at 170 and it did this with my old motor so I'm almost thinking is is my radiator? I have a triple core rad that has had a good life probably over 100,000 kms.. With my old engine I've tried the 180 and 192 thermostats and it ran even hotter at 240 and I don't want to try this with my new motor... I just put a new heater core in it cuz the old one was leaking and I had it unhooked and it still didn't make a difference and this is really bugging me... If I have to get a new rad so be it but it also seems like when I run my rad fan the engine heats up but when I don't run it is runs cooler, I don't know I can't think of what else to do lol please help

#3 ·
I'm using an electric fan that I control its 15" I believe and it has a shroud I'll go take pics

#4 ·
Pics

Attachments

#6 ·
Well I read that cool article and what I gather is maybe my fan isn't good enuf because like it says my temps drop when driving but rise when idling waiting for my burger and fries or stuck behind a slow old lady, I picked up a 180 thermostat earlier today... Maybe I should return it and look into a better fan.... My fan does pull a lot of air thru it tho and with my old engine worked fine and I really never needed to use the fan at all and I checked pictures of when I build my engine and location of tabs on the the head gaskets via correct directions and lol the head gaskets r installed correctly.... Any other thoughts?

#7 ·
Also it's don't really help blasting my heat

#8 ·
The only other thing I can think of is a blockage. When I put the lower intake gaskets on I used the felpro gasket and I didn't clip those parts that go thru the coolant passage and when I took a look at the thermostat a few weeks ago there was a quarter size piece of like steel or somthing it looked like a little steel rock sitting in the lower manifold right behind the thermostat

#9 ·
Make sure your cap is good. I have a 3 row radiator and mine still gets warm slowly if its above 80 degrees and I'm just sitting. Also you could look into a fan with a shroud that covers more of the radiator. I'm going to an electric fan setup soon and hopefully that'll help while in traffic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
#11 ·
Ya I checked that out lol my fan is all set up correctly it pulls air thru the rad

#12 ·
Hmmmm..I'm using the flexalite extreme black magic fan. It's a 15" fan but the shroud is a bit bigger than yours and covers more of the radiator. Not sure if that's the issue. This fan works GREAT. No trouble at all. Steady 190 degrees both hwy and around town. (195 thermostat)

Mustang Black Magic Xtreme Electric Fan Kit (79-93) 5.0

Are you running underdrive pulleys?

#13 ·
Ya I was looking at that fan lol pricy haha and no I'm not running under drive pulleys

#14 ·
ItalianMafia, how did you get this resolved?

Yeah, the Flexalite Extreme was a bit pricey but since I've put a lot of $$$ and work into the engine, I really wanted something new that could keep my investment cool. It's still working great and so far, worth every penny.

#15 ·
I finally broke down and bought the flex a lite black magic fan... I bought a new rad also before the fan and it didn't solve my problem but once I put that new black magic fan on... It was magic then engine actually cooled!! Lol I sat and let her run to 210 degrees and then switched the fan on and it didn't take long at all for the temps to drop back to 180!! Love the fan just put in on a few days ago!! This fan is a must!!!

#16 ·
Glad to hear! It is a good fan. One thing I did have issues with is that the controller it came with wouldn't work for a short period of time (after about 2 months). I don't know exactly what I did to get it working as I was about 15 miles from home. I unplugged/replugged all the connections and it worked again. When I got home, I called flexalite and they sent me an upgraded one for no charge. Keep an eye on that controller....unless you got the upgraded one - 33055 model. (pic attached)

Attachments

#17 ·
Glad to hear! It is a good fan. One thing I did have issues with is that the controller it came with wouldn't work for a short period of time (after about 2 months). I don't know exactly what I did to get it working as I was about 15 miles from home. I unplugged/replugged all the connections and it worked again. When I got home, I called flexalite and they sent me an upgraded one for no charge. Keep an eye on that controller....unless you got the upgraded one. (pic attached)
No I don't have that controller I'll keep an eye on it thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.