Ford Mustang Forum banner

91 LX 5.0 won't idle

984 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tercin 
#1 ·
I hadn't driven this car for about a month, it is not uncommon for this car to sit for long periods of time. It wouldn't start but would crank until the battery started to drain. I put it on a charger for a couple of hours. I also checked for fuel pressure by using a small screwdriver in the port on the fuel rail, it spit out a bit of fuel. After that and charging the battery it started but won't idle. The battery is dated 3-11 and is from Wal-Mart. If I keep on the gas it will run but no idle, as soon as I let off the gas pedal it dies. Any suggestions?

Tercin

#3 ·
It always starts I have had this car for about 3 years, I have felt a bit of a rough idle before but nothing serious. When I got it to start the idle if you call it that fluctuated several hundred RPMs then went to a no idle condition and a check engine light, I have not checked the codes mainly because I don't have the tool and am afraid to drive it anywhere.

#5 ·
#6 ·
87-88 need a 12v test light unless it's a CA MAF model, all the rest are speed density (87-88) and have no check engine light functionality from the factory, realize does not apply here, just saying for others with different years looking.

Reactions: Krem12
#9 ·
Yesterday I got a MAF sensor from a friend and switched it with mine. It will crank but not start with the different sensor.
It acted like it wanted to start for a brief period. I have had the TFI module go out on some of these Fords before. Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.