Ford Mustang Forum banner

1987 5.0 dies when coming to a stop, will only start after "popping clutch"

783 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ALLYDRIVER1 
#1 ·
Need a little help! I have a 1987 5.0 stock bottom end H.C.I. on top T-5 swap mass air conversion ect..... The problem I am having is when coming to a stop the idle falls really low and it will die and not start again until it is "push start". When this happened I did check for spark fuel and air, all there. Side note this started a few months back when I found a short in the Throttle Position Sensor plug. I replaced the wire from the computer to the sensor and to any branch connections see attached.. Wire # 25,46,47 were replaced. Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the standard rough idle stalling hard start issue i replaced the ignition switch and all of it went away. There was a recall on the switches cause they were a POS. I dont know if yours has been changed or not but maybe a good place to start switch is only 14 bucks.

#3 ·
After almost a year of chasing down vacuum leaks replacing every sensor, checking grounds ect.... I finally found the problem. VSS plug was wired backwards (face palm) I replaced the plug with a new one and I guess I got the wires crossed. Drove it around for awhile trying to get it to die on me and it would not even drop under idle. NO IDLE SURGE!!!! :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.