Ford Mustang Forum banner

Differences Among Timing Chains

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Urambo Tauro 
#1 ·
I'll be replacing my timing chain soon. I don't want to change it to a belt or gear drive. I'll stay with the stock chain/sprocket setup for my daily driver.

From what I've been reading, double roller chains are the way to go. Some sprockets are steel, some are iron.

I'm currently looking at Ford Racing's M-6268-A302 and M-6268-B302 sets. The "A302" set has iron sprockets, while the "B302" set comes with steel ones. There don't seem to be any other differences between the two, but one vendor (who does not offer the A302) posts a disclaimer that the B302 set is not street legal. Why is that?

#3 ·
The exact quote was "not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles." I found a similar disclaimer for the "A302" set on another vendor's site, so it looks like both chains are suspect. Now, we don't have inspections in Michigan, so that's a relief. But I have no intention of disabling or defeating pollution controls on this car.

Now that I've thought about it some more, maybe the disclaimer has to do with the multiple keyways in the sprockets? I could see how that would affect valve timing. But as long as it's installed for proper stock timing, there shouldn't be a problem. There's no need to outlaw the part altogether when installation is what makes the difference.

#7 ·
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
make sure you get a double roller chain that is a true roller! as in has roller links like a bicycle. they last forever and do not get sloppy.
i had a cloyes dual roller style as you describe and it had some slack in 10000 miles.

the cloyes true rollers have not done this. just be sure that what you get has the good roller links

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.