Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustangs Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 11-06-2007   #1 (permalink)
matt351fox is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

matt351fox's Country Flag
Leominster   Massachusetts
matt351fox is on a distinguished road
Default 302-351 twin turbo kit

does anyone have any experiance with the twin turbo kits they have on e-bay? pretty much you get the turbos, the manifolds, intercooler, and oil lines. you have to pipe it all yourself and i am comfortable doing that i was just wondering if they are garbage or actually worth it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007   #2 (permalink)
tripleblack is offline Top Dog

4.6L Member

tripleblack's Country Flag  View tripleblack's 48 photos
Atlanta   Georgia
tripleblack is on a distinguished road
Default Size matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt351fox View Post
does anyone have any experiance with the twin turbo kits they have on e-bay? pretty much you get the turbos, the manifolds, intercooler, and oil lines. you have to pipe it all yourself and i am comfortable doing that i was just wondering if they are garbage or actually worth it.
Do your homework with the "real" kits from high end turbo tuners. There are reasons why they select certain size turbos, blow-off valves, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, etc, etc, for their kits. Look for the size and boost level capacities (related but not always identical numbers) on a kit you think is good, and then find out what size(s) are available from the cheapie groups on Ebay. DO NOT just take their word that a given pair of turbos "fits" your car! Also, before you take the plunge sit down and study the list of parts needed to make a complete and dependable installation. Research where you can find all the "other required, but not included" parts, and how much they are going to cost, including all the pipe, fuel injectors, fuel rails, fuel pumps, fuel regulators, blow off valves, boost regulators, boost gauges, brackets, hardware, fuel line, fittings, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, headers, exhaust pipes, etc, etc, etc.

I remember upacking a full-featured Hellion turbo kit (that cost upward of $5500) that ended up covering most of the floor of a large garage with various parts.

Not to say you CANNOT make those cheap parts work - I know they can be used, others have done it. Just do the research before you pull the trigger.

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 11-06-2007   #3 (permalink)
matt351fox is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

matt351fox's Country Flag
Leominster   Massachusetts
matt351fox is on a distinguished road

well thats what i'm sayin is that my familly owns a machine shop, thats what i do for work. i was planning on taking the time to fabricate all the pipe and brackets and everything else. i could even make the manifolds if i took the time to do it i just thought i would save some time by getting the manifolds in the kit. i hear what you're sayin about don't believe everything you read. i really don't have much experiance with turbos, but thats definitely the way i want to go. you sound like you have a lot of experiance so what kind of turbo do you think i should run? what i'm going to build it on is a 351 with a forged rotating assembly with plasma-moly rings. i'm not saying i want to run 50 psi. boost all the time but i think it will handle 15 or 20. as far as the cylinder heads i have a set of GT40P's that we CNC ported and with a little thicker head gasket i believe i can get the compression down under 9.0:1. i just want to do something different with this motor because there are SO many people have supercharged windsors, and i know there are a lot of turbos out there but not where i live. i've had a couple of supercharged motors before and they were great don't get me wrong but i wanna do something different this time and i really can't spend 5 grand on it. even if you know where i can get a kit that just comes with turbos and an intercooler, waste gates, blow off valves could you let me know because i want to make the rest myself. thanks
Unread 11-06-2007   #4 (permalink)
tripleblack is offline Top Dog

4.6L Member

tripleblack's Country Flag  View tripleblack's 48 photos
Atlanta   Georgia
tripleblack is on a distinguished road
Default Hellion

I scoped out the Helion site:

Hellion Power Systems - Fox Body Turbo Kit

Pay them a visit and drop them an email at the "Contact US" port.

Off hand, I'd go with 2 66's for the 351 (Hellion offers a single turbo kit with a 66, and a 76 as the larger upgrade), but that might be overkill since you aren't shooting for really high boost. The smaller turbos sold on Ebay might well be fine for you. I'd do some soul searching before you start and determine what your rwhp goals really are.

Will 400rwhp be enough? 500? 600? More? The hp goal will drive all the other choices you are looking at right now. 20psi of turbo boost on a built 351 will make LOTS of power (probably at least 600hp, and perhaps a great deal more depending on how all the parts come together) if you feed it with lots of fuel. If the car is to be a dedicated race car, that sort of situation can produce upwards of 800hp without too much trouble, or a 1000.

In general, the smaller the turbo the quicker it spools up (though this is also affected by the turbo's design, too - the newest designs feature turbines with superior abilities). This helps cut down on the dreaded "turbo lag", and makes tuning easier (and the car more pleasant to drive). The tradeoff is the ultimate horsepower made by the motor. Whatever you do, pay attention to feeding the motor enough fuel - fuel starvation and running lean will detonate your plans in a hurry! Make sure you have a good gauge on the fuel and the ability to regulate the fuel supply, as well as a return system and rails that can handle the results.

You should also consider selecting turbos that use beefy, ball bearing construction. The cheaper ones WILL fail under load, sooner or later.

I'd recommend using steel Cometic head gaskets (they will withstand more boost - using a thick conventional gasket or two will just invite leaks and blow-outs, particularly on a boosted motor). If you need to drop compression (9:1 might still be a bit high - 8.5 or 8.6:1 would be better), consider changing your pistons or cutting yours the appropriate amount.

DO NOT go cheap on the blow off valves! Bigger is better, and creating a "runaway" situation with a turbo is a recipe for disaster - so pay the nickel and get top quality blow off valves BIGGER than you think you will need.

HP has some nice turbo kits too, and Modular PowerHouse installs these on Mustangs all the time.

I'm thinking you are still needing to do more research with the true experts (vs I-know-just-enough-to-get-you-in-trouble idiots like me), so start emailing or calling up those companies who sell the good kits. They should be able to tell you what they would sell you in a kit, and the parts list would be really helpful.

Finally, DO get an experienced tech with a good dyno to tune the results when you are done (even if you get one of the kits and the handheld tuner that comes with it). JUST to make sure you aren't about to blow the thing up running too lean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt351fox View Post
well thats what i'm sayin is that my familly owns a machine shop, thats what i do for work. i was planning on taking the time to fabricate all the pipe and brackets and everything else. i could even make the manifolds if i took the time to do it i just thought i would save some time by getting the manifolds in the kit. i hear what you're sayin about don't believe everything you read. i really don't have much experiance with turbos, but thats definitely the way i want to go. you sound like you have a lot of experiance so what kind of turbo do you think i should run? what i'm going to build it on is a 351 with a forged rotating assembly with plasma-moly rings. i'm not saying i want to run 50 psi. boost all the time but i think it will handle 15 or 20. as far as the cylinder heads i have a set of GT40P's that we CNC ported and with a little thicker head gasket i believe i can get the compression down under 9.0:1. i just want to do something different with this motor because there are SO many people have supercharged windsors, and i know there are a lot of turbos out there but not where i live. i've had a couple of supercharged motors before and they were great don't get me wrong but i wanna do something different this time and i really can't spend 5 grand on it. even if you know where i can get a kit that just comes with turbos and an intercooler, waste gates, blow off valves could you let me know because i want to make the rest myself. thanks

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
Unread 11-06-2007   #5 (permalink)
fiveohnick is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

fiveohnick's Country Flag  View fiveohnick's 6 photos
Nor-Cal   California
fiveohnick is on a distinguished road

That Hellion kit looks nice. Ive checked out many kits and that is a good one. The only reason I dont have one is because I cant find a "good" kit that is legal in California. It sucks!

HP performance is a nice one to.

1979-1995 mustang turbo system

14.7 in the 1/4 with all of the above minus the holley intake and BBK spacer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162