Ford Mustang Forum banner

1988 Hatchback lights

688 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Kirby 
#1 ·
Does anyone know which fuse is for the lightbulbs on the hatch? When the hatch opens, the main dome light comes on, but the lights in the hatch don't have power to them. I have put in new bulbs anyways, but I'm not having any luck. I don't know if it's related, but just in case, my reverse lights don't have power either.

Thanks for looking.

#2 ·
The backup lights & switch are powered by fuse #5
The cargo light & switch are powered by fuse #8.
Check those fuses to make sure they're not blown.If they're OK,use a test light & probe each one of those fuses to see if they've got power.Do it with the key off & with the key on.If you don't have power at those fuses,check the ignition switch (terminal 687)for power with the key on.It feeds fuse #5 & #8 as you'll see in the diagram below.The following link shows the wiring schematic for the backup lights & cargo lights.Once you click on the link,scroll all the way down to the very last diagram.Its the correct schematic for the 88 5.0 backup lights & cargo lights.These lights also use a switch, which you'll see in the schematic.
http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528004e28c

Attachments

#3 ·
The backup lights & switch are powered by fuse #5
The cargo light & switch are powered by fuse #8.
Check those fuses to make sure they're not blown.If they're OK,use a test light & probe each one of those fuses to see if they've got power.Do it with the key off & with the key on.If you don't have power at those fuses,check the ignition switch (terminal 687)for power with the key on.It feeds fuse #5 & #8 as you'll see in the diagram below.The following link shows the wiring schematic for the backup lights & cargo lights.Once you click on the link,scroll all the way down to the very last diagram.Its the correct schematic for the 88 5.0 backup lights & cargo lights.These lights also use a switch, which you'll see in the schematic.
http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c1528004e28c
I am trying to distinguish between dome light and hatcback light in the schematic. As far as I can see, it's either "Dome light 2 and 3 door" or "Cargo Lamp" directly beneath the "Lift Gate Courtesy Switch." The courtesy switch does turn on the main dome light just above the seats in the front, but it does not have power. Also, when I put a multi meter with the key on, or off, on fuses 8 & 5 I see 0 power, and .023v on the other

#5 ·
So my reverse light switch on my transmission was unplugged facepalm.gif.... And I'm getting a new plug for that so that it stays on properly now, but my dash lights apparently don't work, I'm leaning towards the dimmer switch, but I don't know how to test it outside of the car. I'm thinking of going to a junkyard to test one or 8, but I don't see any way of testing it so far. I'm still searching, just in case someone knows how when it isn't plugged in to a car.

#6 ·
Thread now closed, apparently if there is a burned out light bulb in your instrument cluster, it will prevent the dimmer switch from working, and also prevent lights further down the line, IE the hatchback light, from coming on.... Glad I put LED's in there now, headache gone :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.