Ford Mustang Forum banner

5.0 Junk Yard Horsepower

5K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  wbrockstar 
#1 ·
I've read this article several times and wondering if I find a 96-01 Explorer intake manifold could I just use the upper or do I need upper/lower for my 94 G.T. 5.0? Thank You, rusty crank

#2 ·
Yeah unfortunately you'll need both the upper & lower intake.The stock intake on your 94 has round ports that are inline with each other while the gt40 intake has round ports that are in a staggered pattern.The pictures below show the difference.

1st=stock intake
2nd=gt40 intake

Attachments

#3 ·
Wanted to mention this info too::
When you buy the new/used gt40 intake,be sure to turn the lower intake over & see what kind of pcv oil baffle it has.If it has a small baffle,you'll definitely wanna replace it with the large one(which it might already have)If you don't use the large baffle,theres a good chance your pcv valve will suck excess oil through it,contaminating the upper intake with oil.The new,larger baffle prevents oil splash from getting into the pcv valve hole from the bottom side of the intake.You might not experience this problem if using the small baffle,but 9 out of the 10 people Ive talked to that run cobra/gt40 intakes have seen the issue,so I wouldnt chance using the small one(if thats the kind your intake has)You can buy this large baffle from Ford Racing,Summit Racing,etc or possibly make your own.I preferred buying one when I had a gt40 in place.(Part#-F6TZ6L678AA)
The pictures below shows the difference.

1st pic=small baffle on intake
2nd pic=large baffle on intake
3rd pic=large baffle sitting beside intake

Attachments

#4 ·
Most helpful wbrockstar !!. I found my #7 injector is weak. I have to pull the intake any way to replace it and I will replace all of them with the upgraded four hole injectors and may go ahead with the intake as I found one at my favorite Pick & Pull. Regards rusty crank 5830.gif

#5 ·
I will replace all of them with the upgraded four hole injectors
Yeah they offer a better spray pattern.
Sometimes when you get injectors from the pull-a-part,they can be clogged or gummed up due to sitting so long without being ran.If you wanna make sure they're good to go before installing them,do the cleaning procedure shown in the following link & buy a injector service kit too.It replaces the filter screen,orings,etc. I'm not 100% sure of the correct ohms value for the Explorer injectors,but you can bring an ohmmeter with you to the junkyard & test their ohms value before buying them.Most high impedance injectors should read between 12-17 ohms.The stock injectors I use to run measured 16.0 ohms,so the Explorer injectors should be close to that value.If you test the injectors & 7 of them measure 15.0 ohms & 1 of them measures 5.0 ohms,that injector is bad.They should all be close to each others value.

Fuel Injection Technical Library » Fuel Injector Cleaning

Attachments

#6 ·
I will be using rebuilt, upgraded 4 hole injectors as a man sells them here in Ga. I would like to ask ; any other intake that I could use other than an Explorer 96-01? Other Ford products with the 5.0 engine? I found an Explorer but it is rough and incomplete. Thank's rusty crank5830.gif

#7 ·
The gt40 intake came installed on the Mountaineers too.It should be the same years as the Explorers,but do a search to be 100% sure.Its on the 93-95 Cobra & you can also use the upper(tubular) intake off of a 93-95 Lightning,but the Lightning lower intake won't work because its wider due to having a 351.The upper will work though,if you match it to a Explorer,Mountaineer or Cobra lower.Unfortunately the chances of finding a Lightning or Cobra at the Pull-A-Part is gonna be very very slim.

***Attention***
The 95-97.2(FEB)Explorer intake has provisions for the act sensor & egr, but the 97.2-01 doesn't have provisions for either.
***The following info is from FiveOhInfo.com***
((((((The 95-97.2 Explorer intakes have the center EGR hole drilled, but no return line. If you wish to run the full EGR setup, you will have to drill through the boss at the back of the intake so that you can run the regular EGR setup. Furthermore, there is a boss for the ACT sensor located on runner #5, but it is not drilled. In order to install the ACT sensor in the stock location, you will have to drill and tap this boss (3/8" NPT). Otherwise, you can relocate the ACT elsewhere (but will still require drilling anyway, so you might as well use the provided boss for this))))))

The f150's with the 302 came with a lower intake similar to the Holley.You would have to buy a Saleen,Vortec or a boxed upper intake to match it though.The Cobra,Lightning(upper)Mountaineer & F150 are the only vehicles I know of that have a useable performance type intake,besides the Explorers.
You can also use the TB off the Explorer (65mm) vs the stock one (60mm) if you've still got it in place.You'll have to modify it though.
The 94-95 5.0 & 3.8 Mustang has a (70mm) maf sensor that's a direct bolt on,if you've still got your stock one(55mm)in place.
The 3G alternator & mini starter are also great junkyard upgrades,if you pass by any vehicles with those parts.The AWD Aerostar also has a aluminum driveshaft that bolts right in,but its a good idea to do the ujoint upgrade before you install it.You can actually feel a difference in acceleration after this install.Its also 1/2" smaller in diameter than the Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft which makes it even lighter & there haven't been any complaints related to weakness or breaking/twisting either,due to the size difference.The Ford Racing driveshaft was like $250+ the last time I checked,so grabbing one of these for $20-$30?? is a helluva deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.