Ford Mustang Forum banner

Barebones 8.8 gear swap

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mustangman1965 
#1 ·
I have a used set of gears that I need to swap into my 8.8. I'll be using the existing bearings. From I'm reading I should reuse the crush sleeve since I'm using the same bearings, and get a new nut for the flange. Does this sound right? I know I'll need to set the preload by checking the rotation with a torque wrench
Thanks

#2 ·
I have a used set of gears that I need to swap into my 8.8. I'll be using the existing bearings. From I'm reading I should reuse the crush sleeve since I'm using the same bearings, and get a new nut for the flange. Does this sound right? I know I'll need to set the preload by checking the rotation with a torque wrench
Thanks

I would use new bearings on the pinion, I always reuse the crush sleeve only because they are pretty difficult to crush (Big 'Ole Breaker Bar) and if you crush it too much you need to start over with a new sleeve. The carrier bearings (if they are good) can be reused.

#3 ·
Of all the bearings throughout the axle assembly, the pinion bearings seem to receive the most wear. Because of this, pinion bearings are something that I wouldn't even think about re-using. The only time I would even consider that as an option would be if they were almost new. Say, if my axle was overhauled 2000 miles ago, and I wanted to change the gears, then I MIGHT think about re-using the bearings.

A gear change is the BEST opportunity for a complete overhaul with new bearings, seals, clutch-packs, and of course fluid.

#4 ·
+1 on the clutch packs.If you run the car at the track or do some quick street racing here & there,I like the carbon fiber clutch packs better than the oem ones.

#5 ·
I'm replacing the pinion bearings, especially now that I had to beat the crap out of the inner one to get it off the old pinion. I have a new crush sleeve, nut, and pinion seal. And of course oil. I'm not doing a full rebuild because I'm swapping in a 9 inch very soon. Thanks for the input! What should I set the preload to, with new bearings and crush sleeve? I've read around 20 in lb. I'm going to get the sleeve barely started in my press so I don't die trying to do it in the car.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.