Ford Mustang Forum banner

89 5.0 Computer learning

874 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dave1968 
#1 ·
I have an 89 5.0. Years ago I put 3:73 gears in, underdrive pulleys, Superchips computer and some exhaust. I just upgraded to a 70 mm throttle body, EGR spacer and MAF sensor, but the power seems a little lax. It appears to be getting a little better as I put miles on, so far about 100, but I'm wondering is the computer "smart" enough to learn the new parts and their potential and will I get better gains as time (miles) goes on?

#4 ·
What else is done to the car? If it its just the parts you listed and a stock intake manifold, that extra air you can support is still choked by the intake manifold opening (and the whole manifold) and the heads. The boost from then will be next to nil.

#5 ·
You probably lost some throttle response by adding the 70mm tb to it,since all of the other induction components are stock.The tb will add power & throttle response once you upgrade the other parts like the intake,heads,etc.
If you plan to keep the stock intake,a 65mm tb would probably work better & you can get one cheap at pull-a-part off a Explorer,but the better move would be to get an Explorer intake & mate your 70mm tb to it.However if you decide to keep the stock intake & the 70mm tb,bolt the egr spacer to the intake,use a marker inside the spacer to draw its inside diameter onto the intake then use a dremel or similar tool to remove that material from the intake.Then youll have matching ports between the intake & tb,instead of having that restriction sticking out.

#6 ·
yah I saw that. The intake manifold is about 67 mm and so that ridge is going to also cause some turbulence and slow the air flow down. It does appear to be getting better as I drive it more, but your right, more needs to be done. I also put a lightweight flywheel and aluminum drive shaft on. I was disappointed though when I saw that intake. I thought about the dremel idea and I might just do that for now. I have some other projects on the go and don't want to spend a whole lot more time on this car.

#9 ·
I put in a BBK MAF 76 mm. At the time of my first post I had probably closer to 65 miles, not 100, on it. Now I have about 120 miles with several startups and it is dialing in nicely. It's like the Terminator - a learning computer lol. But seriously, it is running better and is taking advantage of the lightweight parts and revving faster. I was probably a little premature in my expectations and didn't give it more time. I have a couple other intakes so I think I'll open up one of the top halves and put it on for now - Heads, cam and better intake will have to wait. Thanks for all your help everyone - I'm working on a 4cyl. to 5.0 swap as well with my son so that will take the balance of my time for now. We have all the suspension and brakes etc.. done and are almost ready to install the motor; just have to swap harnesses etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.