Ford Mustang Forum banner

boosting tips

585 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Turbo523 
#1 · (Edited)
Im looking to turbo my 87 5.0 and i want to leave it stock block but what intake and head upgrades can i do for cheep? I have heard of people using explorer intakes but i would like some more info. Like what year explorer intakes fit on an 1987 mustang 5.0? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#4 ·
There are two different intakes on the Explorers,depending on year model
The 95-feb 97 Explorer has an intake that you can still run your egr system on,but youll have to drill & tap the intake in the same spot as the stock intake.The rear passenger side of the intake gets tapped so you can mount that pipe plug that the egr spacer rear coolant hose connects to.The front driver side of the intake,at the #5 runner,gets tapped so you can mount the act sensor.

The feb 97-01 Explorer intake doesnt have provisions for the egr system, so if youre not gonna run the egr system, you can use this intake.A hole has to be drilled & tapped in this intake too,for the act sensor unless you wanna relocate it to the air inlet tube or another spot,but the walls are thinner on this intake so you can run the risk of damaging the intake if youre not careful.

Reactions: Turbo523
#5 ·
Hey gents how about this for a starting point, what about about changing over to mass air first? I've never had a mass air mustang don't know much about the swap but it seems like it'd be better to be mass air when adding adding a bunch of power and driving around the street. Are the tuning options the same for speed density as mass air?
Do the majority of the speed density guys switch over to mass air these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.