Ford Mustang Forum banner

Do I need a tune/chip for this build?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BustedWallet 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, im new to this site and looking forward to some great info. I have a 89 Mustang Gt, 5spd. Just got the car a couple weeks ago and it feels way way under powered for what it has in it. The guy told me he never had it tuned since he built it, but the MAF/injectors/throttle body were bought together to match. My question is where should i go from here, im lost on how to get the power out of it. It had a 273 gear, i just put in a 373 which made a difference but not great. Heres what i got, thanks.

All forged roller. 5.0 bored 30 over.
comp cam (unknown which)
push rods
1.7 roller rockers
scat rods
cobra upper/lower intake
trickflow aluminum heads
BBK 75mm throttle body
BBK MAF
30lbs injectors
cold air intake
under drive pullers
MSD 6al
headers, flowmaster exhaust
Ford Racing 373 gear
short throw shifter
Canton 7qt oil pan

what do you guys think. it will barely break the tires going into 2nd. ive owned a 12.8 sec mustang with not even 3/4 of the mods. Also has a bad hanging idle, and it will rev up, i tried the restricting the IAC but it didnt work.

See less See more
#5 ·
You should spend the money and take it to a proper dyno and have it tuned. With all of the mods you listed that's what you really need to pull the power out of that motor. They will be able to tell you if you're limited by something else as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.