Ford Mustang Forum banner

89 mustang gt hatch not starting

459 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HowNotToDrive 
#1 ·
OK so I'm not super experienced with cars but I can usually fix most of my problems so bear with me if I have trouble understanding. So I live in the mountains and during the winter I have to put my car up. Well last winter my car was running fine it was my daily driver and I would crank it every so often during the winter so as to not let it sit to long. During the beginning of spring I tried cranking it a few times and heard a thumping noise from under my shifter almost like a little bit of backfire. Well that progressed into the car cranking and turning over but as soon as the rpms came back to regular idle the car would just die on me. Now its to the point where the car won't start at all. I had replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump a few months prior to this and also my distributer since my gear on the bottom decided to shear off.(oil change was done before cranking and magnet was placed in the oil pan) I'm getting spark at the plugs and I'm getting good fuel pressure at the valve on the fuel rail and I'm absolutely stumped as to what could be wrong with it. If anyone knows what I could check or what it might be I would be very appreciative. Oh also its a high mileage fox Im guessing over 140k

#2 ·
I would check the IAC. If it is not opening when you
try to start it it won't start. It supplies more air to the
engine for cold start up. It acts like a choke on a carb.
Try depressing the gas pedal a little when trying to start it.
If it starts and you can keep it running by feathering the
pedal then you found your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.