Radiator Help Needed! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Radiator Help Needed!

Hey Guys,

I have a '91 with an S-trim (standard install,nothing special) that needs a new radiator. This car used to have a brass 3 row radiator and the factory clutch fan.

I just bought an American Eagle 2 row radiator and it's too thick because the S-trim's tensioner gets in the way when trying to hang the factory fan shroud. I even tried mocking up a contour dual fan kit I have (fans hits the blower belt).

Some notes: My old brass radiator's thickness measured exactly at 2".

This American Eagle unit measures out to 2"3/8' but their website says its 2.1" thick...anyways, its still an issue.

Radiator Dimensions:
Total: 19.25" tall (with cap) x 29.25" wide
Core: 16.75" tall x 24.5" wide x 2.13" thick
Inlet: 1.25" passenger side
Outlet: 1.5" driver side
Tanks: 2.75" thick
Tubes: 1" thick

Yes, the factory fan was notched at the bottom where it meets the crank pulley with the old radiator and perhaps I need to complete that notch all the way around?

What should I do? Move the wiring harnesses behind the rad support in order to pull the radiator closer to the support frame (sounds like a PITA)? Buy a thinner radiator? The Champion 2-row measures out to 1.75" thick, while the 3 row is apparently thicker than my American Eagle unit.

A few things at my disposal are:

Griffin Dominator Rad (was too big).
Modine 3 row brass replacement radiator that is in my SVO currently (I can always play the old swaparoo here)
The old leaky 3 row brass radiator that has been in this car from the 1990's.
Mark VIII and Contour fans.

To get the car going I wanted to retain the factory fan and shroud but at this point I might also entertain the idea of switching over to an electric fan. Can the Contour fan be notched? It seems too thin already.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsvo View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a '91 with an S-trim (standard install,nothing special) that needs a new radiator. This car used to have a brass 3 row radiator and the factory clutch fan.

I just bought an American Eagle 2 row radiator and it's too thick because the S-trim's tensioner gets in the way when trying to hang the factory fan shroud. I even tried mocking up a contour dual fan kit I have (fans hits the blower belt).

This American Eagle unit measures out to 2"3/8' but their website says its 2.1" thick...anyways, its still an issue.

Radiator Dimensions:

Yes, the factory fan was notched at the bottom where it meets the crank pulley with the old radiator and perhaps I need to complete that notch all the way around?

What should I do? Move the wiring harnesses behind the rad support in order to pull the radiator closer to the support frame (sounds like a PITA)? Buy a thinner radiator? The Champion 2-row measures out to 1.75" thick, while the 3 row is apparently thicker than my American Eagle unit.

Modine 3 row brass replacement radiator that is in my SVO currently (I can always play the old swaparoo here)

To get the car going I wanted to retain the factory fan and shroud but at this point I might also entertain the idea of switching over to an electric fan. Can the Contour fan be notched? It seems too thin already.

Could you post a pic or 2?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

This is the only pic I have ...will post more later.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Radiator Help Needed!

I had to replace mine in my 95 that has a v3 and I used a parts house oem type and it fit. I'd like to have a larger one but I don't think it'd work since the stock one barely clears the pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016
Apprentice

Just a thought, but if you still have the old radiator why not have it redone at a decent radiator shop? You already know it fits.

Russ

1979 Pinto hatchback. Fully caged.
1972 Ranchero 351C and C4 on hold
1974 Pinto wagon project on hold
Glendale Arizona
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Just a thought, but if you still have the old radiator why not have it redone at a decent radiator shop? You already know it fits.

Russ
It's really old and I already have had it rodded out once, but I guess I could have them re-core it. Though not really worth it when aluminum radiators are so cheap these days.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsvo View Post
Hey Guys,

Radiator Dimensions:

Mishimoto radiator may fit for you

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishim...tor-79-93.html

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-musta...num-79-93.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mishimoto.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	533482  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

You can trim the fan shroud to make it sit closer. I have seen the dual fan units as well offset lower and to one side a bit to avoid the blower. Just some options.

I trimmed a Mark VIII fan for a friend's bronco to make it fit.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

The old brass radiator....

The American Eagle unit...

Bunch of wiring behind the radiator...

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

The oem shroud was notched years ago to clear the crank pulley. I think I need to continue this notch all the way around. Will this negatively affect the cooling benefits brought on by the shroud itself?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Last edited by fastsvo; 08-26-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: double post
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I am at a cross roads where I can modify the stock shroud (e fans wont fit w/ this rad) and keep this thicker radiator of mine OR try to get Champion to exchange it for a 2 row model where the stock and any future electric fan will work w/o any clearance issues.

GT Member

If you were to move the wiring harnesses out of the way,it might give you what,about a 1/2-3/4" more clearance behind the upper part of the radiator,but will the bottom of the radiator still be too close to the pulley??

I know most guys dont like running one,but have you entertained the idea of a flexfan?? Several spacers(varying in size)are available that might put the fan where its needed.You could take some measurements,from the water pump pulley outward,to see if one of them will make it feasible.
I ran one when I had a Kenne Bell on my LX,but I cant remember what size radiator was installed at the time,as far as thickness goes.
Ive been running the same one on my 331 for 6 years now (up to 7000rpm) with zero issues.
Im not sure how it compares(cooling wise)to an electric fan,considering my LX never had one,but it cools much better than the clutch fan setup(stays between 180-210 ac on,in traffic,180 tstat) its lighter & its inexpensive.
Be careful when youre installing or working close to it though,because it will cut a helluva slash in your *** if youre not paying attention. lol.
Just thought I'd mention it as an option(maybe)

BTW- it sounds like youve got enough of them (rad) lying around to start your own radiator shop.lol

91 LX 342ci (10.5:1)
TFS 190cc (stage ll)
GT40 (tubular) intake
Lunati 61011(.549"/.565")
QA1 Coilovers
Weld ProStar XP's
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrockstar View Post
If you were to move the wiring harnesses out of the way,it might give you what,about a 1/2-3/4" more clearance behind the upper part of the radiator,but will the bottom of the radiator still be too close to the pulley??

BTW- it sounds like youve got enough of them (rad) lying around to start your own radiator shop.lol
Well when I pull the radiator closer to the core support, I am still limited by how the stock saddle mounts screws into the core support, meaning if there weren't any wires running behind the rad, I still couldn't get a major improvement in clearance, if any. Am I missing something here?

Yes, too many radiators! I have to eventually sell the Griffin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page