Ford Mustang Forum banner

Electrical Issues

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Grimbrand 
#1 ·
Hello all, I purchased my '90 mustang about 2 months ago. The driver side window controls do not work, but the passenger side window relay works. So i can roll my passenger window up and down with my passenger side control but i cannot roll that same window down with my driver side control, i took off the arm rest to see if it was just unplugged but no luck it seem to be plugged all the way in at the actual button itself and at the connector inside the arm rest. the next thing i was thinking of doing is taking the connector with the pins out and using some sand paper to clean the connecting pins. I'm curious if anyone can shed light on my issue, any information would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
You can try cleaning the terminals first,but it might be the switch itself.The driver side has two switches-1 for driver window & 1 for passenger window whereas the passenger side only has 1 switch.You would basically need to buy 1 driver side switch & snap it into place on the passenger side portion of the switch panel,on the driver side armrest.

Mustang Power Window Switch Reproduction Cpe/Hatch 1987-93/Conv 90-93

Attachments

Reactions: Sway
#3 ·
No luck, I think it may be a fuse or a relay at this point. I used the new switch on my driver side panel for both the driver and passenger window and it didn't roll either down. Not entirely sure how to diagnose a relay or fuse failure, going to look up some videos but if anyone has any ideas about what is wrong or ways i can go about troubleshooting the issue it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

#4 ·
The silver circuit breaker in your fuse box,#14 position 20amp,is for the power windows.The silver circuit breaker,attached to the starter relay on the driver side fender apron,is also for the power windows.I would think both breakers are good though,considering the driver & passenger windows are working,except for communication between the driver/pass window switch & pass window motor.

Have you checked for a loose/corroded wire at the driver switch harness.Look for a chafed/pinched/broken wire where the harness enters the door hole at the front of the door,near the hinges.Check the passenger door too.Behind the driver & passenger side kick panels is another area to check.

Attachments

#5 ·
I'm actually not sure if my driver side window works. I currently cannot get it down. Neither switches on my driver side panel work, the only window switch that works is my passenger side switch. I will check the breakers, fuse, and check for any damage to the wiring though, that's what im beginning to think it is.

#6 ·
I would turn the key on & test the pink wire @ the driver window switch harness to see if it has 12 volts.If it doesnt have power,the pink wire will have to be traced from the switch down to fuse terminal #14,to see where its open.The wiring diagram shows several disconnect points between the switch & fuse panel.If you disconnect the harness at the switch then work your way down the harness until you reach the next harness connecter & disconnect it there,you can test the pink wire for continuity to see if its open in this section of the harness or not.Just set the multimeter to ohms,touch the red meter lead to the pink wire terminal at one end of the harness then touch the black lead to the pink wire terminal at the opposite end of the harness.The meter should read 2.0 ohms or less.If not,the pink wire is open.You can continue testing the remaining sections of harness til you locate the open section.

If the pink wire shows power at the switch,test both black wires to make sure theyre grounded.Since you know the pink wire has power,turn the key on,touch the red meter lead to the pink wire at the switch harness then touch the black lead to both of the black wires,one at a time.Touching each black wire should make the meter read 12 volts.If it doesnt,the black wire is open or its loose/corroded where its bolted to the door.

Attachments

Reactions: Sway
#7 ·
I havn't tried this yet, although i was driving earlier, and occasionally i'll hit the switch just in hopes that it might work and it rolled my window down, and worked for about 4 seconds and stopped. Which leads me to believe it probably is a short, right? I'm going to try that wire test sometime this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.