Ford Mustang Forum banner

What MPG does your V6 mustang get?

67K views 72 replies 38 participants last post by  Gregomatic 
#1 ·
Whats the MPG for you different V6 mustangs. One guy with gas saving mods claimed to get 30 MPG heres what he said,

"I can usually get about 420+ miles to a full tank on road trips. 15 gallon tank equals 28+mpg."

Is this possible?

#2 ·
i have heard of people getting 30+ mpg on their stangs. as for me the best highway mpg i have got is 26mpg and the average street mpg i get is 17 to 18 mpg. i floor my car a lot tho so thats probably why i get that ****** mpg with my "fuel efficient" mods.

#7 ·
That, and your huge wheels!

#4 ·
I was getting 30-35mpg on long roadtrips in my 97 V6. I drove to Tennessee & back twice. The oly mods I had are the ones in my signature.

#5 ·
I got 36 regularly on the highway .. ..

#6 ·
I get about 16-17 around the city with the current mods in my sig. Looking to drop it a bit more with future mods :D

#8 ·
Im getting an average of 17-18 mpg...this sucks hope my new mods will help me..guess my Lead foot doesnt help

#73 ·
Wow, I wish I would have thought to check MPG before AND after when I installed my Mach 1 chin spoiler! Didn't even dawn on me to see if aerodynamics would effect MPG, and I know better! I was Naval Air (USS J F Kennedy CV-67), avid warbird junkie and balsa model aircraft builder. You'd have thought I would have been curious about ground effect, wind drag and resistance before the install, and it never crossed my mind. I just bought the spoiler to take care of that 'underbite' stock look.
I did notice that when I went from P245-45-19 tires to P245-35-19, I lost from 24MPG to 22ish.

#12 ·
my 35mpg was at 70-75 average and very few spots of up to 80/85. I had the cruise control on pretty much the entire time as well.

#15 ·
What size exhaust are you running? If you go too big you lose torque, which means you have to use more gas to get moving.

#18 ·
Yes 2 inch is stock.

#19 ·
Right, but it's dual . .. .

regardless, that shouldn't matter if it's 2"-

Ah, Got it! Your AC is on all the time.

Bump your tire pressure by 5 lbs and it will help a little.

#20 ·
my co-worker says when his tires are low he gets like 25-30 miles less out of a tank of gas. I don't know how accurate this is, but if it is, i am defiantly checking my tires daily :hihi:

#22 ·
Oh yeah, Tire inflation, too.

#24 ·
I just returned from vacation. I set the tripometer at the pump and after running 240 miles on the first leg of the trip i had just used a hair over half a tank, I think that comes out to around 30MPG it was all highway and I only ran A/C during the popup rainstorms since I had to roll up the windows. Average speeds were anywhere between 70-90 MPH ... gotta love that 5th gear :hihi:

Shantox

#26 ·
I just returned from vacation. I set the tripometer at the pump and after running 240 miles on the first leg of the trip i had just used a hair over half a tank, I think that comes out to around 30MPG it was all highway and I only ran A/C during the popup rainstorms since I had to roll up the windows. Average speeds were anywhere between 70-90 MPH ... gotta love that 5th gear :hihi:

Shantox
I have the exact same set up as you with the exhaust and about to add the CAI next week. Does the CAI make that big a difference cuz Im only getting 240 for my whole tank.

#29 ·
I get 22 average with my mods. Won't be as good when I get my 3.73's installed next week though.

#31 ·
Hi Guys,

I am from the Netherlands (europe) and I recently bought a 1996 Mustang V6 (automatic)

I read a couple of things in this thread about getting better mileage thru some mods.

Since gas is 3 times as expensive over here as in the US I am REALY interested in those mods.

Can you please help me out and teach me about the mods and a good source for finding them?

Thanks in advance!

Freek Hammink

#33 ·
I need to also check into some mods, I recently went up to Roebling Road Raceway from Tallahassee Fl (315 miles) and barely made it on one tank of gas...roughly 21mpg(?). That was 75-85mph and picking up a bit of a draft off of big rigs most of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.