Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 94-95 Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1994-1995 5.0 Mustang SN95 Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 07-11-2011   #1 (permalink)
Costlowk is offline Rookie

Costlowk's Country Flag
Spokane   Washington
Costlowk is on a distinguished road
Default 1994 Mustang GT Problems. Possibly Mass Airflow Sensor?

Alright, here's my back story. My mustang has had problems with the MAF before, but I just cleaned it and it's been good for like a year now. However I've recently just traveled cross country and it started to show signs that it was having the same problems again. I've been busy though and never got around to taking care of it. I'm not sure if this could have caused any problems but about a week ago I managed to run myself out of gas (stupid I know) so I went and filled up my gas can and got some gas in my car without any problems. However, the next time I filled up my car it had a hard time starting and kept stalling after I took it out of park. Finally it seemed to be running normal and I decided to continue on my 9 hour trip cause my wife was in town and nothing was going to ruin our vacation! So a couple hours down the freeway my engine kinda just starts hiccuping almost as if someone tap on the brakes really fast and then after that the RPMs starting revving really high but I wasn't accelerating almost as if the car had been thrown in neutral. My car is an automatic and I had the cruise control set so I know it wasn't me so I quickly pulled into a Firestone and they kept saying that it sounded like transmission problems but finally one guy mentioned the Mass Airflow Sensor and it finally clicked in my head that I've had problems with that before. So I cleaned it and made it to and from my vacation with my wife just fine. However, the next weekend I filled up again, and my car almost stalled only once so I thought it was ok, but after driving for awhile on the freeway again it started to have the same problems so I pulled over and cleaned it again and it ran fine the rest of the trip except on the way back. When I filled up once again it would stall every time I took it out of park and I had to keep the engine revved just to go. Then a little later it had the same hiccuping problems, so I cleaned it again and made it home. Finally the latest incident was at like 3 in the morning when I dropped my wife off at the airport. It's only an hour and a half trip and I made it there just fine, but then I filled up on gas and on the way back it had major problems. Normally every time the engine revved really high while I was on the freeway if I just let off the gas it return to normal and I'd be able to drive just fine afterwards, but this time it wouldn't go back to normal and wouldn't accelerate or anything and the Check Engine Light popped up. So I pulled off the the side of the road and cleaned my MAF by flashlight and it ran fine for like half an hour until it did it again. I HAD to get to work that morning so I did the same thing, and it ran for about another half hour till it did the same thing again. So I cleaned it again and finally made it home and now that car is just going to sit in the parking lot until someone can give me a good answer on what is wrong and how much it'll probably end up costing me. I'm already broke from flying my wife down to visit and going on 2 separate vacations. I just might have to sell my mustang if it's something serious, and I really don't want to, I love that car. So can someone please help me? So sorry for the long story, I just wanted to include every detail haha.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2011   #2 (permalink)
toyman is offline GT Member

toyman's Country Flag
Vernon   British Columbia
toyman is on a distinguished road

Three things. What are you cleaning the MAF with and how are you cleaning it? Second, have you ever changed the fuel filter? Third, have you pulled the trouble codes and if so what codes were present? You need to narrow down the probable causes otherwise you will spend a lot replacing things that don't need replacing.
KB 2.1L, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Shift Kit, Built TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, hardened AODE, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-12-2011   #3 (permalink)
johnGT is offline GT Member

johnGT's Country Flag  View johnGT's 1 photo
Dawsonville   Georgia
johnGT is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking fuel pump or fuel filter. Start with the fuel filter. Cheap and easy.
Unread 07-12-2011   #4 (permalink)

Costlowk's Country Flag
Spokane   Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman View Post
Three things. What are you cleaning the MAF with and how are you cleaning it? Second, have you ever changed the fuel filter? Third, have you pulled the trouble codes and if so what codes were present? You need to narrow down the probable causes otherwise you will spend a lot replacing things that don't need replacing.
I've been spraying it with some MAF Cleaner I bought at a AutoZone. I'm not sure what brand it is exactly but I'll take a look and let you know it that helps. Also while I was at AutoZone they tried running a dianostic but couldn't get any codes. I'm not sure when was the last time I got the fuel filter replaced. I don't think it was that long ago since I just got my oil changed, however that was before I drove cross country so now it needs to be changed again.
Unread 07-12-2011   #5 (permalink)
jarin12gaa is offline Apprentice

jarin12gaa's Country Flag  View jarin12gaa's 13 photos
SPRINGFIELD   Massachusetts
jarin12gaa is on a distinguished road

The mas air flows not bad.They go for 68 buck remanned.Check at out advanced auto.I just bought one.
Unread 07-12-2011   #6 (permalink)

Dawsonville   Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costlowk View Post
Also while I was at AutoZone they tried running a dianostic but couldn't get any codes. I'm not sure when was the last time I got the fuel filter replaced. I don't think it was that long ago since I just got my oil changed, however that was before I drove cross country so now it needs to be changed again.
Generally when they change your oil, they don't touch the fuel system. I'm still betting on a fuel system problem. Always best to start with the cheapest fixes. Fuel filter! When was the last time you had a full tune up? May be something electrical wise as well. Or as some have suggested, replacing the MAF altogether. If the new MAF still gives problems, take it back and look elsewhere for problems.
Unread 07-12-2011   #7 (permalink)

Costlowk's Country Flag
Spokane   Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGT View Post
Generally when they change your oil, they don't touch the fuel system. I'm still betting on a fuel system problem. Always best to start with the cheapest fixes. Fuel filter! When was the last time you had a full tune up? May be something electrical wise as well. Or as some have suggested, replacing the MAF altogether. If the new MAF still gives problems, take it back and look elsewhere for problems.
I keep a full record of all the work that's been done to my car at home, but unfortunately I'm not going to be home anytime soon, and I honestly don't remember the last time it's had a tune up. I'll take her in and get my oil changed, fuel filter replaced, and get a full tune up. Hopefully that'll fix it, I have a little more than a week till my next long trip. So if the MAF wasn't the culprit why did my car seem to run mfine after I cleaned it? Just curious.
Unread 07-12-2011   #8 (permalink)

Dawsonville   Georgia

Well the MAF could be the problem. The fuel pump/filter are common problems with our cars it seems. A lot of times you will see people complaining of the car sometimes running good, other times its not.

What you described was the car getting progressively worse. This is usually the main sign of the fuel pump slowly dieing or the fuel filter getting clogged. You showing no codes also means there isn't an engine problem or electrical problem. The fuel system was probably running strong during the session with the code scanner. This means that the fuel pressure was normal during that time so no codes were thrown.

You also say that you can usually drive a little ways before the car acts up. If your fuel pump is indeed dieing, it will heat up as you drive and slowly lose power due to loss of efficiency because of the heat. This may also explain why it runs fine after you stop and clean the MAF. It gives time for the fuel pump to charge back up and cool down.

I'm no mechanic. I'm just going off of personal experiences.
Unread 07-13-2011   #9 (permalink)
toyman is offline GT Member

toyman's Country Flag
Vernon   British Columbia
toyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costlowk View Post
Also while I was at AutoZone they tried running a dianostic but couldn't get any codes.
That's because they used the wrong diagnostic port. The correct one is in the engine bay passenger side between the firewall and strut tower. The 94-95 GT's use an OBDI system. The port under the dash was for the 3.8 L V-6 which uses an OBDII system. The cars shared a common harness.
KB 2.1L, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Shift Kit, Built TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, hardened AODE, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Unread 07-13-2011   #10 (permalink)

Dawsonville   Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman View Post
That's because they used the wrong diagnostic port. The correct one is in the engine bay passenger side between the firewall and strut tower. The 94-95 GT's use an OBDI system. The port under the dash was for the 3.8 L V-6 which uses an OBDII system. The cars shared a common harness.
You know, I have always wondered if it is possible to convert over to the OBDII system since they left the harness for it in the production v8s. I'm not sure what all that requires to do, but it would make tuning a LOT easier and more flexible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
gas fill up, high revving, maf, mass airflow sensor, stalling

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162