Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 94-95 Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1994-1995 5.0 Mustang SN95 Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-17-2012   #1 (permalink)
guitar_stitch is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

guitar_stitch's Country Flag
Jacksonville   Florida
guitar_stitch is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Intermittent no-start without apparent rhyme or reason

Finally, this thing has given me an interesting challenge.

Since I got this car in December, it has had intermittent hard start issues. Most of the time, it fires right up after a second or two on the key. Other times, I can crank for 15 seconds and get nothing out of it, release the key and try again, and it fires right up. Once the car is running, there are very few to no run problems (slightly rich while cold, occasional misfire while coasting at low speed).

While irritating, I figured that whatever is causing that will eventually fail. It's getting close now. Monday, I tried to start the car to get to work and tried cranking for 10 minutes with no effect. (Well, I did uncover a slightly loose ground terminal which was corrected). Temperature was about 68 outside and the humidity was high. When I got home from work, I jumped right to diagnosing the car. I got my tools out and... the darned thing fired right up. Repeat the same for the next day. Wednesday and Thursday, the car ran great. :-/

I thought it might be humidity related...until Sunday. I drove the car before the NFL game to grab a pizza, and everything was great. Came home and it sat for about 5 hours, then refused to start. Temperature outside was about 91 and my mechanical gauge showed a cold engine. Came home several hours later, and the F-ing thing started up again.

So, I'm now at a loss. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is ignition related, as I can always smell raw fuel after enough attempts at starting. Unfortunately, every time I have a chance to diagnose, the damn thing starts and runs great. I would suspect PIP or TFI, but all the posts I've read on the subject seem to indicated that the no-start is when hot, leading to a consistent no-start condition. They also all seem to indicate rough running.

There is one other odd thing I noticed... When I am cranking (and the car is not starting), the check engine light blinks about once per second. With each blink, the tachometer jumps slightly. :?::?: I cannot find much information on whether that's normal behavior. Would be nice if someone could check (pull a spark wire and crank your car while observing the CEL to see if it does the same thing...)

In Summary:
Car Desc: Stock 95 5.0 with aftermarket H pipe, T5 manual. All emissions in place. No security. Base model with manual windows and locks.

Symptoms: Intermittent no start both hot and cold. (No attempts to fire) Will resume normal operation without any outside influence. Can smell raw fuel when it doesn't start, indicating that fuel is flowing. Once car does start, no drivability problems noticed. Fuel pump primes at Key On. CEL flashes once per second while cranking.

Suspected System: Ignition (PIP or TFI)

Parts replaced and known good:
-Air Filter
-Fuel Filter
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Wires
-Cap
-Rotor Button
-All grounds cleaned up and tested under load
-12.2v Engine Off, 14.2 Engine running with Subs, Headlights, Wipers, and Blower running at Max.
-Cleaned MAF

Engine Codes KOEO: 111 (system good)
Engine Codes KOER: 111 (system good)

Tried rapping against the TFI module sharply while engine running, no change.
Tried dousing everything under the hood with water while running, no change.
Tried light water mist to check for leaking spark plug wires (corona), no change.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just trying to get all the relevant information out there to save ya'll from having to ask the same volley of questions over and over.

'95 Mustang GT, 5 speed, O/R H-Pipe
Current Needs to Polish this Turd:
-AC Compressor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2012   #2 (permalink)
Blown95GT is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

Blown95GT's Country Flag
Hockessin (Wilmington)   Delaware
Blown95GT is on a distinguished road

Considering all you've done and the rich condition my guess would be a leaking fuel injector flooding the engine on occasion. I had a very similar problem with an S10 but that had CFI which was the culprit. O2's are another possibility but that should throw a code.
Black on black '95 GT ‘vert, 9# PD, AFR 165’s, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, Lightening mass air, 42# injectors, 190 pump, 1.7 rockers, X-pipe, Flowmasters, 'Z' trans , 3.27's, KB subs, Bilstein shocks/struts, H&R race springs, MM LCA’s & CC plates, Cobra brakes, Cervini's Stalker kit, S281 wing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-18-2012   #3 (permalink)
Hockeyman48 is offline PONY Member

Hockeyman48's Country Flag
Orion   Michigan
Hockeyman48 is on a distinguished road

If it was mine ,with all the time you have involved.I'd change the pip(or distributor) and the tfi module.Also verify that all your ground connections are clean at all ground points.
Unread 09-18-2012   #4 (permalink)
Jozsefsz

I agree with Hockeyman. If they're not already bad they will be soon (assuming they weren't recently changed). Unfortunately as the PIP/TFI fail they don't throw codes, you just get weird stalling, rough running, other failures until they just die altogether. It definitely might not be, but this is a common failure, and most other failures will either throw a code or be observable (fuel pressure or faulty plugs for example).

Unread 09-18-2012   #5 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Jacksonville   Florida

So, I took a chance and replaced the Distributor with a brand new unit (no reman).

After setting the firing order in reverse and being left to scratch my head for a minute (set it clockwise), I got it started, pulled the SPOUT, hooked up the timing light, set to 10 degrees BDC, secured the Dizzy and went for a test drive.

The motor definitely seemed to run smoother... up to about 4 grand, where suddenly, it gave up the ghost and let out a backfire that would have rivaled that of a canon shot.

Retracing my steps, I realized that I was romping on it with 10 degrees total timing.... I forgot to plug in the $&^# SPOUT again. After searching for 15 minutes under the hood for it, I got everything back in and took it for a second (much more pleasing) test drive.

I'm not sure if the PIP was bad or not, but the distributor was definitely wearing. The shaft had a lot more resistance than the new one. The engine is running smoother, but it did exhibit some "breathing" at idle (750 RPM - 900 RPM and back) after the test run.

I'll try to drive her to work tomorrow and see what happens. I'll post back!

Thanks to all who took the time to read and/or respond to this thread.

-AC Compressor
Unread 09-19-2012   #6 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Jacksonville   Florida

Something's still off. :-(

Drove the car to work this morning, and was giddy at how responsive and smooth it was running. It truly was like a completely different car.

About 20 minutes into my trip, I was cruising at ~40 MPH, when the car started bucking. When this happened, the tach was jumping significantly, more than I would think possible for a manual transmission car at a steady speed. I pushed the clutch and revved it, which stopped the bucking for the short term, but it returned.

Did I get a bad distributor? I bought the brand new Richporter model from O'Reilly's Auto Parts just to avoid any problems with the distributor from a previous installation. :-/ While not particularly difficult to change, it is somewhat time consuming, time being a resource that I am limited on.

Could it be the TFI going out as well?

-AC Compressor
Unread 09-19-2012   #7 (permalink)
Jozsefsz

It could be the TFI or the distributor. I wish I had a trick to diagnose those things, I just replace it and keep my fingers crossed myself.

Unread 09-20-2012   #8 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Jacksonville   Florida

Unfortunately, I will not be working on this thing for a while.

Driving home yesterday, the Throw Out bearing finally let go enough to make the car difficult to drive. :<

I'm going to go ahead and replace the TFI when I get back around to working on the car ($$$), since it's probably the factory original from 1995. If that doesn't solve the sudden bucking, then I'll do some other tests (possible TPS failing, as well), but will probably return that distributor and get another one.

-AC Compressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162