Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 94-95 Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1994-1995 5.0 Mustang SN95 Tech Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
Unread 12-26-2007   #1 (permalink)
kat_mustanggt is offline Apprentice

kat_mustanggt's Country Flag
Waycross   Georgia
kat_mustanggt is on a distinguished road
Angry 1995 Mustang Throttle Position Sensor Question. Please Help!

My car has decided it will NOT stay started.....we have hooked it to a computer and it tells me my TPS is bad. Will this cause my car to stall every time i hit the brake...cause thats whats going on... and it has not been doing this....it started the day before christmas eve (Great Gift, huh?) Please Help me on this. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007   #2 (permalink)
Schreiber is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

Schreiber's Country Flag
Macon   Georgia
Schreiber is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Schreiber Send a message via Yahoo to Schreiber

if your TPS has gone out then you definatly need to change it....

they are dirt cheap they are like almost 40 bucks considering you are going to to it yourself...

I don't know why your car would stall everytime you pushed on the brake but I would definatly change your TPS ASAP
Straight Pipe
2.73 Final Drive
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-26-2007   #3 (permalink)

Waycross   Georgia

well....from reading what the TPS does (Yep, i'm a newbie to this kinda thing, but hey, i like to do my homework so i dont sound so stupid) i believe that when i'm hitting the break, its telling my car that i'm turning the car off, so i need no more fuel to keep it running...so it shuts off, b/c the car starts right back up beautifully, it's even changing gears like its suppsed to right now...which it wasnt before i started having this problem....so i dunno....
Unread 12-26-2007   #4 (permalink)
kurtisdenton is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

kurtisdenton's Country Flag
Duenweg   Missouri
kurtisdenton is on a distinguished road

It does sound like the TPS sensor........HOWEVER, before you go do that i'd double check to make sure all connectors are connected. reason i say that was i cleaned it all one day (TPS, MAF) and didnt connect one connector and it did the exact same thing. i found it, plugged it back in and worked just fine. but if you havent worked on it and possibly forgot to just plug a connector in, then it's your TPS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-26-2007   #5 (permalink)

Waycross   Georgia

Nope....havent worked on it lately....so..we have hooked it to a computer, and it won't go past the TPS problem....so.....it just doesnt make sense that sometimes it'll work and sometimes it wont.
Unread 12-26-2007   #6 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Schreiber's Country Flag
Macon   Georgia

i doubt its the MAF, a friend of mine had a 94 Auto GT and when his MAF went out his car would run, but it would run horribly... you could not tell by the exhaust but it was so unresponsive when he would smash on the accelerator i mean it sucked when the MAF went out but if your OBDI has told you it is the TPS then it more than likely is but be sure to check if all connections are good, Like I said autozone has new ones for about 40 USD. It only makes sense that your TPS is bad... is it an auto or a manual, im assuming auto and im basing this on your indication of it shifts when it is supposed to.
Straight Pipe
2.73 Final Drive
Unread 12-26-2007   #7 (permalink)

Waycross   Georgia

Yep its an auto.... i've had it do this before...put it in the shop....they changed all kinda stuff, including the computer that fried.....but NOT the tps. WE bought a OBDI, hooked it up to it, and it told me the TPS was bad, the auto shop didnt, but the car ran fine and everything even with the TPS being bad. Just didnt shift worth a crap...(i had to manually make it shift myself) then all of a sudden its started doing it again........i'm just trying to figure out why it would work great ('cept for my little shifting issue)then just start cutting off on me again. Same TPS as before it went into the shop. Idk....just make wonder what the heck is the deal with that. MY TPS HAS ADD!!! i think thats it!!
Unread 12-26-2007   #8 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Schreiber's Country Flag
Macon   Georgia

IDK but your shifting is if im not mistaking a Computer issue, or it could possibly a physical problem that exists in your tranny....

what all did they change?

where did you buy your OBDI i've been looking for one with a digital screen not that red light pukyak,

Was your check engine light on?

actually your TPS now that I think about it could throw off your shift points in theory because if you think about it the name is self explanatory, Throttle positioning sensor, if it senses that your really not hard on the pedal (Flooring it), but you really are its not really going to shift, idk just change your TPS and see what happens from there, it looks like a pretty easy fix.
Straight Pipe
2.73 Final Drive
Unread 12-27-2007   #9 (permalink)

Waycross   Georgia

Lord i hope so. It came from Auto Zone. It WAS NOT cheap, and we had to special order the piece for the OBDI.
Yep Check engine lights on, but it stays on.
We changed the computer, the sensor to the distributor (dont know what its called) changed all kinda wires. I had to let a shop do it. By b/f got aggrivated with the car b/c he couldnt figure out what was going on with it. It was AFTER we got it back from the shop that we hooked it to be OBDI and it told us about the sensor. So.....i'm going to get one next week and HOPEFULLY thats the root of the majority of my problems and maybe, MAYBE i can have a mustang that runs longer than a few months before something else goes wrong.
I can floor it....and the engine revs.....and it takes it a while to get off the ground.....For a Mustang GT 5.0...mine has always seemed a little sick to me when i got it. It doesnt have the pick-up and go that it should. But that could be my TPS has been giving me hell all along. So IDK...we'll see
Unread 12-30-2007   #10 (permalink)
lovelsu is offline Rookie

lovelsu's Country Flag
Cantonment   Florida
lovelsu is on a distinguished road

test the tps . it should have three wires going to it. with a good volt meter ,probe the solid grey wire .it should read somewhere around .98/or.99. be sure you have a good ground for the volt meter.and probe with hot lead.it may just need tunning.
Unread 12-30-2007   #11 (permalink)

Waycross   Georgia

Its actually had a tune-up recently....and like i said, we have hooked it up to the OBDI and it told me the TPS is bad, so a tune-up, i'm pretty sure, will not help that problem. We'll see when i get one next week how much of a diffrence that makes, and then move on to the next problem i'm sure i'll have.....i'm learning buying a used mustang is NOT a good thing......especially when you dont know who owned it before you did.....
Unread 01-02-2008   #12 (permalink)
wlk1020 is offline Rookie

wlk1020's Country Flag
york   Pennsylvania
wlk1020 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I briefly read through your post and here is what I know. I have tuned a bunch of cars. I own a dyno shop. Yes the tps will cause weird issues in the the trans. You should be able to probe the wires to the tps one of them needs to be near 5.0v one of them needs to be ground. Now there are two ways to test this one is not efficient and the other is but more difficult. 1. Take your volt lead and check for ground by putting one lead on the ground of the battery and the other to the suspected ground wire if it reads 0 and the other wires show a voltage then that is the ground wire. Now this is called a voltage drop test. Since you already have the wires hooked up ground to ground start the car as the sensor pulls voltage for the computer system the volt meter should show 0 or very close no more then .2 of a volt if more then the gorund is bad. 2. You can ohm test the ground but this is highly inacurate because one strand of wire left in the shething will give a good ohm reading. The third wire should vary with throttle position. .5 to 5v. Sorry about the spelling I'm in a rush. Feel free to email me any more ?????
Unread 01-02-2008   #13 (permalink)
bigdaddystangs is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

bigdaddystangs's Country Flag
Bradenton   Florida
bigdaddystangs is on a distinguished road

i dont know if this will help you but my wifes expedition dne the same thing and it ended up being the idle air control valve. migh wanna check that
Unread 01-06-2008   #14 (permalink)
piaband is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

piaband's Country Flag
East Coast   New Jersey
piaband is on a distinguished road

From reading on the forum, idle problems have most commonly been the cause of the following:

-bad pickup sensor distributor ($dont know)
-dirty Mass Air Flow sensor (clean it for free)
-bad idle air control valve ($60)
-loose battery cables or bad grounding connections (trace ground connections to engine block and frame from battery) (free)
-oxygen sensors

I would start with the TPS because you have codes that tell you its bad, then check things off the list from least expensive to most expensive. These seem to be the common problems with idle on mustangs. not sure if they are same as yours. maybe search on some of those topics. good luck
Unread 01-08-2008   #15 (permalink)

Waycross   Georgia

Ok...well help me make sense of this.....BEFORE i got the tps in, me and the b/f decided to idle the car up to about 700 or 800 (that was as high as we could get it anyways) well that stopped the car from cutting off when i hit the break...Does this make sense to anyone.....we tried to get it past 1000 when we were moving it, and he turned and turned it, and it wouldnt move past 700 to about 800.......so I just put the NEW tps on, and it stayed the same as it was BEFORE we put the new on......i guess i need to drive it some and let the computer learn it before we really see what to do next.....i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one who's had the idling problems.....
P.S. - The shop that worked on the cae SUPPOSEDLY put a new pickup sensor in the car....but i'm starting to think they didnt...it was used....SIGH* i hate the list thing with this car...i wish there was something easier to show whats wrong with it right away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164