Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

installed new frame rails 1967 Mustang fastback

13K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  OldBravo63 
#1 ·
ok well today i got them all in, and everything is lined up perfect down to the T and my question was, that the original frame rails were put oonto the car from factory tack welds i could find the first solid weld when replacing them, so what i did is where the new one piece rail was supposed to attach to the rocker i drilled a 3/8 hole every inch and tack welded them in place just like it was from the factory this weekend my friend that is a professional welder is going to come behind me and well along the outside edge of the flaps that touch the rocker, just wondering if that is overkill or a good idea, i dont doubt my welds but his is alot prettier and 100% perfect and mines not, i would feel much safer if it was done to me but i just wanted to see what yall thought

#3 ·
luvme4thamoney, I am also trying to replace my frame rails. How did you do it? As far as keeping the car up off the ground and everything.

#4 ·
first before anything was lifted off the ground or cut i ran a 1inch pipe from left to right from inner rocker to inner rocker , then i had one going from the rocker up to the roof meets the window on the other side, did that to both sides it made and X with a line underneath it , you get what im saying, i used a laser lever behind the car to get it exactly level and to make sure it would stay level, after everyting was dropped like rear end and suspension, i took lots and lots of measure ments on where stuff was and how far apart they were, since i was replacing the trunk floor to that was all cleared out the way, i held the car up with jack stande and the very end of the rocker i used small metal shims to get it perfectly level, i installed the trunk floor first ibefore welding it in place i ran some bolts throught the back of it attaching it to the car to the original bumper bracket holes so that it would stay in its correct place and i held the front up with ratchet straps so i could adjust the height, there are slots underneath the trunk floor where the frame rails rest in, before welding the shock cross member to the frame rails i put the back part of the rail in its slot under the trunk and used a sheetmetal screw that i ran up through the rail and into the trunk so it would stay in its correct place then i got the frame rails in it correct poistion from my measure ment on the rocker panel and put 3 sheetmetal screw in the front part to secure it in its correct place, once i had that done on both side,(checking my levelness the entire time, i put the shock cross member and tack welded it in place from the bottom, then i unscrewed everything and welded the crossmember fully to the rails, i spray rubberized undercoating inside the channel of the rails and on top of the shock cross member once installed you will never be able to get to it to protect from rust ,make sure that the front section of the frame rails all the points that are supposed to touch the rocker are touching the rocker and not leaning one wayh or the other, there is pretty much a set groove in the trunk floor that the rails follow, once the cross member was welded up i put it back in the car with the screws to hold it in place, and welded the crap out of it, thats pretty much where i am now if you would like me to send you pics let me know, once everything was welded in i cut out the tubing that kept the car square

also i have never done this before i dont know if what i did was overkill or not but it just seemed easier to me because i did this all by myself, i would defently try to get some help but i also went to a 3 years school in auto body, collision and repair and have a degree in it,im only 24 years old but ive never restored an old car im kinda testing my skills because i know i can do it with some advice from people with stuf i dont know,

#5 ·
Congrats, you should be proud. Do your research (talk to those with experience), use your mechanical sense and those learned skills and you'll be just fine. Also, working alone in many ways is a good thing. It's all on you . . . Good or Bad. When it's good, It's REAL good.

Steve in California

#7 ·
Thanks for that. I enjoy looking at "progress pics" of projects. It's a visual description of what you did. It also helps others who may decide to do that project. Share the fun.

That's interesting you got it from Wisconsin. Last year I picked up a car in Wisconsin ('33 Ford 2dr sedan). That will be my next project, when my 67 coupe is finished.

#8 ·
here is some photos ill get some more ,but i do not have photos with all my braces welded in there my digital camera was in my girlfriends truck and i ended up taking the pics with a throw away camera but pretty much everything else i have , i gotta along way to go but its starting to look like a car from the inside, i also have 1 piece floor brand new fenders, new hood, new trunk and alot of other stuff but i need to replace some more panels in the front before anything else goes in, the torque boxes and the front floor supports are next i will have pics shortly

bradsalex did that help you out any or confuse you

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks for sharing. I admire your ambition. Try not to lose that enthusiasm and the project will move along nicely.

Also, to help with the "Signs of progress", take the time to undercoat/paint the areas you replace immediately. Remember, MIG welding starts to oxidize as soon as you weld it (CO2). So to prevent dealing with the surface rust later, protect it soon after welding. It also looks better and gives you a greater feeling of accomplishment.

Steve

#11 ·
yea i did i dont know if you have noticed in some of the pics there is like a black brown tint on the new metal is the rust and metal sealer i use its the same brand as my primer, i plan on undercoating the entire bottom with like hurculiner or something like that, ill have more pics but you can see that stuff real good on the new rails i think this is before i sprayed my welds

#13 ·
let me find the pics of the piece i cut out its kinda scary looking but what keeps me motivated other than this is the car that i have wanted ever since i knew what one was is that not what i have to do to it now its was it is goin to be when i get done , ive just been taking my time doing everything at a pace so that i dont get burnt out and also the $14,000 price tag on a new shell and i think about how much ive got in mine, i would love to have a new shell but i cant afford one and now that im doing it all myself i dont have to worry about what someone else has done and i know its right

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.