Mustang for a 17 in Alberta's winter - stupid, possible, decent? - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Mustang for a 17 in Alberta's winter - stupid, possible, decent?

Hi
My 17 year old is thinking a mustang would make a good choice as his next car. I've read that those with ESC do better in snow ice but how much better? Where would this fall in the responsible parent scale??

He's thinking v6. Likely around an 06-08. It would have top of the line winter tires and the ESC option (this was an option on the base?)

His other option is an 05 Audi TT with Quattro. No snow/ice concerns but maintenance on a German car might bankrupt him.

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Mustang for a 17 in Alberta's winter - stupid, possible, decent?

When I was 18 I bought my first Mustang. It had a 302 V8 2bbl with bias ply tires. It was useless in ice and snow. I paid for the car, the insurance and the gas.

If you son can pay for the car, the insurance and the gas let him get whatever he wants.

I did buy a 2009 and a 2010 Nissan Versa for my daughters to drive. One turned her nose up at the basic car, for a while, until she found out that she wouldn't have to pay for the car or insurance, just gas.

For what I pay in insurance for a 2013 mustang GT at my age, 55, I wouldn't entertain paying the insurance for a 17 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UUUd444 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Mustangs are great in Alberta. It's just best if they never have to be driven in the winter.

Have to echo what TheBert said. His money, his choice. Still, you can give an opinion as to what makes a wise choice and this may help him realize his mistake later. Of course a kid wants a mustang or TT. Cool factor, quick and a sure bet to help him with the girls. (a lecture about teen pregnancy would be appropriate about now.) We all get that.

If you don't mind paying or he's pretty rich, all good. Young boys tend to cost at some point.

With our three daughters we went kinda like Bert. All brand new, all front wheel drive. Honda Civic, Kia Soul and then Mazda 3 hatch. Not fast enough to get into trouble, not sexy enough to make you want to show off and get a slow car into trouble. And, all now with at least five years no repairs, no accidents and clean records. Can't say the same for their male cousins who got the odd hand me down luxury car, sport truck, etc. ALL with accidents (many multiple), tickets, etc.

Boys are like that. Sorry to typecast, but it tends to work out that way. And in Alberta, where we both live, you know what an accident and/or tickets do to insurance rates.

On the plus side, if your kid gets a mustang or TT, he will look really cool. A plus for you is that to his friends and acquaintances you also will look cool because it will be assumed that you allowed it to happen. Not a totally bad tradeoff.

Tough decision. I wish you

All the best.

2014 GT Sterling Grey Metallic
-6M, 3.73, Brembo, 401A, JLT Oil Separator and Ford Racing 624 HP Whipple Supercharger.
-Steeda Sport, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's and GT500 mounts to fix wheel hop, floating and nose diving.
-GT500 quad exhaust, Roush front splitter, tinted fogs, markers, reverse, blacked out hood vents, 5.0's.
-Budget shift fix: Energy Suspension shifter bushing, Steeda S197 Clutch Spring and transmission mount bushing.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the thoughts. It's only 1/2 his money so I do get some say. He'd would buying something cheap enough that he can get away with just putting on liability.

So even with ESC and winter tires it's not a great idea? I drove an old sunbird with all seasons for years in Saskatoon. I did ok but am wanting something "better" than just Ok for him.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page