Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

AmericanMuscle Forum

AmericanMuscle is one of the internet's largest providers of Ford Mustang performance parts and accessories!

AmericanMuscle
Contact AmericanMuscle | Visit AmericanMuscle.com

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 11-26-2011   #1 (permalink)
jphn is offline Rookie

jphn's Country Flag
DC Area   Virginia
jphn is on a distinguished road
Default Halo Headlights troubleshoot

I've installed halos (Smoked Mustang Headlights w/ CCFL Halo (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!) but the passenger's side halo keeps going out from time to time. At first, I had the wires connected by using insulated disconnect connectors. I then tried using just heat shrink tubing which didn't work either. And now, I've soldered the wires together and the halo is still going out. The driver's side halo has never gone out though.

Could it be that the headlight is faulty or is it still the wiring job?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2011   #2 (permalink)
whisgolf is offline PONY Member

V6 Member

whisgolf's Country Flag  View whisgolf's 10 photos
Springfield   Missouri
whisgolf is on a distinguished road

Does the headlight come back on when you move the wires around?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 11-27-2011   #3 (permalink)
jphn is offline Rookie

jphn's Country Flag
DC Area   Virginia

I haven't tried wiggling the wires.

I've gotten out of the car and they would be out. I could come a few minutes later, it would be back on. And I could get in the car, drive a bit and they would be out half way through a five-minute drive.
Unread 11-27-2011   #4 (permalink)
DJH1211 is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member

DJH1211's Country Flag
Kelowna   British Columbia
DJH1211 is on a distinguished road

I'll bet that the trouble is a bad (intermittent) connection right at the bulb. The aftermarket connectors are poor quality. Try twisting the male tabs of the connection (just a small amount) to make a better interference fit into the female end of the connector. You've eliminated the other potential problem by soldering the wires. Hope that fixes it.
Unread 11-27-2011   #5 (permalink)

V6 Member

Springfield   Missouri

You can also check the connection with a circuit tester/light.
Unread 11-27-2011   #6 (permalink)
Roushstang2004 is offline Apprentice

Roushstang2004's Country Flag
Douglas   Georgia
Roushstang2004 is on a distinguished road

ive had that same problem too, also check your fuses because on our cars the headlights are operated by their own fuse meaning one fuse for the right headlight and one for the left headlight check that, happened to me plenty, also if you spliced wires check the the splicers, or the female,male connectors, best of luck man, and if you find a solution post what it was

I'm not fast but i want to be someday, cant blame me for dreaming:p
Unread 11-27-2011   #7 (permalink)
jphn is offline Rookie

jphn's Country Flag
DC Area   Virginia

Today I let the halos run for a little bit. The bad one would go out after 2:30-5:00 minutes. I tried wiggling the wires a bit to see if it would go back in but it didn't. After about 4 or 5 minutes of the halos being off, I could turn them back on and the bad one would be back on. Does that eliminate the chance of it being a connection issue? It seemed like the halo was running on a battery or something when it was on and when it was off, it would be "recharging."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1211 View Post
I'll bet that the trouble is a bad (intermittent) connection right at the bulb. The aftermarket connectors are poor quality. Try twisting the male tabs of the connection (just a small amount) to make a better interference fit into the female end of the connector. You've eliminated the other potential problem by soldering the wires. Hope that fixes it.
Could you go into a little bit more detail? I'm pretty newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roushstang2004 View Post
ive had that same problem too, also check your fuses because on our cars the headlights are operated by their own fuse meaning one fuse for the right headlight and one for the left headlight check that, happened to me plenty, also if you spliced wires check the the splicers, or the female,male connectors, best of luck man, and if you find a solution post what it was
What should I be looking for in the fuse? And where can I find them in the car?
Unread 11-27-2011   #8 (permalink)

V6 Member

Springfield   Missouri

Hmm, relay getting too hot? I don't have the halo lights, but I would assume they have a relay switch. If they are turning off when they get hot, but come back on after cooling down, I would guess it to be a relay.
Unread 11-27-2011   #9 (permalink)
Roushstang2004 is offline Apprentice

Roushstang2004's Country Flag
Douglas   Georgia
Roushstang2004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphn View Post
Today I let the halos run for a little bit. The bad one would go out after 2:30-5:00 minutes. I tried wiggling the wires a bit to see if it would go back in but it didn't. After about 4 or 5 minutes of the halos being off, I could turn them back on and the bad one would be back on. Does that eliminate the chance of it being a connection issue? It seemed like the halo was running on a battery or something when it was on and when it was off, it would be "recharging."

Could you go into a little bit more detail? I'm pretty newbie.

What should I be looking for in the fuse? And where can I find them in the car?
look to see if the fuse is not black or burnt. or just replace the fuse, the fuse is under your steering wheel to the left its a box with a black cover, in your broweser look up 1999-2004 mustang v6 fuse diagram to find out whihc one of those fuses controls your faulty headlight im atleast 80% sure its the fuse because it sounds just like my problem
but check your crimp connectors

I'm not fast but i want to be someday, cant blame me for dreaming:p
Unread 11-28-2011   #10 (permalink)
jphn is offline Rookie

jphn's Country Flag
DC Area   Virginia

I'm back at school but I'll check the fuses once I'm back home.

I would assume that I'd look for the fuse for the parking light because the halo draws power from that and not the headlight but I checked the user manual (http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../08musog3e.pdf, page 192) and it doesn't say anything about a parking light. Should I just take it to an auto-shop and ask them to check for any blown fuses? How much should that cost?

Edit: Also, although the halo goes out, the parking light that it draws power from doesn't.
Unread 11-28-2011   #11 (permalink)
Derfdog15 is offline MACH I Member

V6 Member

Derfdog15's Country Flag  View Derfdog15's 61 photos
Fort Pierce   Florida
Derfdog15 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15

How old are these halo's it seems there is an issue that should be remedied by a replacement, there should be a fuse for the parking lights but it sounds like a relay within the lights themselves, honestly i believe it needs to be replaced.
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
Unread 11-28-2011   #12 (permalink)
AMDanBailer is offline Site Sponsor

AMDanBailer's Country Flag  View AMDanBailer's HomePage
Malvern   Pennsylvania
AMDanBailer is on a distinguished road

OP,
You were correct in wiring the Halos into the parking lights. The fuse will not be blown if both the parking lights work and the halos work(even intermittently). Neither would work at all of the fuse was blown.

It's likely your wiring connection, either where the wires for the Halos connect to the parking lights or where the wiring goes into the halo bulb. I know that you said you soldered them together, but just double check by tugging on the soldering connections to make sure they don't pull apart. From there, check the wiring going from the spliced/soldered connection to the bulb. You can even pull the bulb out and swap them side to side to see if it is the bulb. If you do swap them side to side and the halo failure changes sides you know that it is the bulb that needs replaced.

If it is the bulb, give our Parts Experts a call and they can get you a replacement bulb ASAP!

I hope this helps!
Please let me know if you have any questions in the future!
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 11-28-2011   #13 (permalink)
jphn is offline Rookie

jphn's Country Flag
DC Area   Virginia

I bought the halos in July and they started going in and out by mid August. I called AM today and the person that answered said that he would be shipping me a replacement headlight and I could just mail back the bad one. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I probably won't be able to put them into the car until about January though because of just being busy around holiday season.
Unread 11-29-2011   #14 (permalink)
AMDanBailer is offline Site Sponsor

AMDanBailer's Country Flag  View AMDanBailer's HomePage
Malvern   Pennsylvania
AMDanBailer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphn View Post
I bought the halos in July and they started going in and out by mid August. I called AM today and the person that answered said that he would be shipping me a replacement headlight and I could just mail back the bad one. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I probably won't be able to put them into the car until about January though because of just being busy around holiday season.
Awesome! Glad to hear!
Just make sure you at least put in your stock lights and return the other ones ASAP. After 30 days you are charged for a non-return(if we don't receive the defective lights back within 30 days). If you can't do it within 30 days, call our Parts Experts and cancel the RMA/replacement and just get a replacement set when you have time to fix the issue.

I hope this helps and I apologize for any inconvenience.
Please let me know if I may be of assistance in the future!
Have a great afternoon!
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 11-29-2011   #15 (permalink)
jphn is offline Rookie

jphn's Country Flag
DC Area   Virginia

They're already at my house so I can't cancel the RMA, huh? ;_; You guys shipped too fast, in literally 24 hours. I won't be home till about the 15th but the guy that answered my call at AM said that he would keep from sending my return tag or whatever and to just call again to get it, to avoid being charged or something. Either way, I'll try to have them shipped back before Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172