Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Vendors > AmericanMuscle

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

AmericanMuscle Forum

AmericanMuscle is one of the internet's largest providers of Ford Mustang performance parts and accessories!

AmericanMuscle
Contact AmericanMuscle | Visit AmericanMuscle.com

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-27-2013   #1 (permalink)
MustangChris810 is offline GT Member

MustangChris810's Country Flag
Shreveport   Louisiana
MustangChris810 is on a distinguished road
Default Intune w/ 2013 GT Auto Trans

Alright, I think I'm ready to load a tune on my 2013 GT/CS w/ Auto trans, mainly because of the trans, although I do have some concerns.

First, I do like the way my tranny shifts for the most part. I live on an Air Force Base and most of time time I just tool around to work and wherever else just barley touching the gas. I like how the trans shifts at a lower RPM with light throttle and how it shifts VERY smooth. I have no real complaints about the transmission from a daily driver stand point. What can I say, when I'm not jumping on the gas I really enjoy the smooth operation of the car.

Here is what I am looking for from the tune. I'd like it to shift "firmer" at WOT, but at light throttle I'd like the trans to pretty much behave the way it does now. Again, unless I'm looking to "play" I love how soon the trans chases O/D and how smooth it shifts. I'd like to retain this type of operation even with a tune.

I hate that I can't do a power brake with the car. I guess in 2013 Ford started making it so the car won't rev over 2K RPM if you mash the gas and the brake at the same time.(Brake Over Accelerator or BOA "feature" I assume?) Can AM fix this with the Intune? Sometimes, a guy just wants to smoke his tires

Last thing is, out of the hole the car isn't really that quick. If I mash the gas from a dead stop on black top, it won't even chirp the tires most of the time. On concrete it will a little, but it still doesn't seem to rev high enough right off the jump to develop any real power. Maybe this is a throttle response issue??? Anyway to fix this?

I've ran several BAMA race tunes in the past with good results, but never with an Auto trans vehicle. Honestly, I'm just a little scared to spend 400 bucks and than want to put the car back to stock because the "daily drive-ability" of transmission is not good.

Also, you guys still offer the 3yr/36K BAMA number 8 cylinder warranty right?

Could you please explain to me in some detail how you calibrate the auto transmission on the newer GT's? THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2013   #2 (permalink)
Blaseleblanc is offline GT Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Blaseleblanc's Country Flag
Prairieville   Louisiana
Blaseleblanc is on a distinguished road

If you're not chirping the tires at WOT in a 5.0 from a dead stop, you obviously have traction control on... Try turning that off. Also, try holding your foot on the brake and revving it up to ~2000 rpm, then slamming the gas and letting the brake off. That gets me a squeal out of my 2011 v6 auto with 2.73 gears.
Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-27-2013   #3 (permalink)
irishmustang11 is offline Apprentice

irishmustang11's Country Flag
Bellevue   Nebraska
irishmustang11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangChris810 View Post
I hate that I can't do a power brake with the car. I guess in 2013 Ford started making it so the car won't rev over 2K RPM if you mash the gas and the brake at the same time.(Brake Over Accelerator or BOA "feature" I assume?) Can AM fix this with the Intune? Sometimes, a guy just wants to smoke his tires
You can power brake in a 2013 auto. Turn off the traction control and AdvanceTrac, then put it in sport mode (I like to use 2nd gear). Stomp on the gas and immediately hit the brake. At first, mine seemed to be stuck around 2K, but I just moved the pedals around slightly and that did the trick. The RPMs shot up and I was surrounded by smoke. Good luck!
Airaid Race CAI, Boss IM, Kooks 1 7/8" LTs, Kooks catted Boss H-pipe, Boss QTP exhaust cutouts, Borla S-type axle back, AED E85 tune, Steeda upper/lower control arms, Steeda bumpsteer kit, Ford Racing sway bars, Eibach lowering springs, Ford Racing adjustable shocks & struts, DSS one-piece aluminum driveshaft, FR 4.10 gears, 18"x9"/10" AMR wheels, Nitto NT05R 305 drag radials, Cervini's hood, Roush grilles, California Special fog lights
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-28-2013   #4 (permalink)
ilmor is offline Rookie

ilmor's Country Flag
Northeast USA
ilmor is on a distinguished road

I notice you didn't mention Sport Mode?

I also have a 2013 GT w/ the 6 sp SelectShift auto. While I haven't smoked the tires, I can't imagine that its a problem to do so w/ the 390 ft-lbs of torque...
2007 Shelby GT #1917
Performance White
Interior Upgrade Package

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
Black / Black - leather upgrade
Glass RoofSync / Nav/6-sp SelectShift
Unread 01-28-2013   #5 (permalink)
AMShaneLesky is offline Site Sponsor

AMShaneLesky's Country Flag  View AMShaneLesky's HomePage
Malvern,   Pennsylvania
AMShaneLesky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alright, I think I'm ready to load a tune on my 2013 GT/CS w/ Auto trans, mainly because of the trans, although I do have some concerns.

First, I do like the way my tranny shifts for the most part. I live on an Air Force Base and most of time time I just tool around to work and wherever else just barley touching the gas. I like how the trans shifts at a lower RPM with light throttle and how it shifts VERY smooth. I have no real complaints about the transmission from a daily driver stand point. What can I say, when I'm not jumping on the gas I really enjoy the smooth operation of the car.

Here is what I am looking for from the tune. I'd like it to shift "firmer" at WOT, but at light throttle I'd like the trans to pretty much behave the way it does now. Again, unless I'm looking to "play" I love how soon the trans chases O/D and how smooth it shifts. I'd like to retain this type of operation even with a tune.

Last thing is, out of the hole the car isn't really that quick. If I mash the gas from a dead stop on black top, it won't even chirp the tires most of the time. On concrete it will a little, but it still doesn't seem to rev high enough right off the jump to develop any real power. Maybe this is a throttle response issue??? Anyway to fix this?

I've ran several BAMA race tunes in the past with good results, but never with an Auto trans vehicle. Honestly, I'm just a little scared to spend 400 bucks and than want to put the car back to stock because the "daily drive-ability" of transmission is not good.

Also, you guys still offer the 3yr/36K BAMA number 8 cylinder warranty right?

Could you please explain to me in some detail how you calibrate the auto transmission on the newer GT's? THANKS!

MustangChris810,

Just about everything you mentioned is taken care of with a Bama tune. Let me break it down more to clarify things, though!

1. Yes, with the Performance tune (or Street tune), you'll be able to retain the smooth shifts at light throttle. The car will shift just like stock, but with a little more throttle response. Cruising around will be just as easy as before!

2. Yes, we will be able to firm up the shifts during "play time" or WOT. Even on the Performance or Street tune that allows you to cruise around softly at low rpm. The shifts will firm up depending on your RPM and throttle position.

3. There is an "issue" with 2013 auto's not being able to go past 2k RPM during a brake stand, even with traction control turned off. It's not every 2013, but we have sourced the "issue" in the factory tune. You WILL be able to rip as large burnouts as you like with our Bama tune installed.

4. I've already hinted towards this, but throttle response will pick up drastically with a Bama tune. Each tune has a greater throttle response in this order- Performance tune, Street tune, and then the Race tune. We can also increase or decrease throttle response in any of these tunes, upon your request. My advice to you is try them all out and then make adjustments from there. Give the Bama Team a call @888.226.9764 once you've felt out each tune and they'll be happy to make adjustments to your liking!

5. We absolutely still have the Cylinder #8 warranty in affect for 2011-2013 5.0's! So no worries there!

6. There's several adjustments that can be made to the factory automatic transmission (6R80). Bama has the ability to make the trans behave just about any way you like. We can do firmer or softer shifts at any RPM or at any throttle level of your choice. Like I mentioned earlier, our standard process is to give softer shirts at light throttle/low cruising RPM's and firmer shifts at WOT & higher RPM's.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything or if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to answer them!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 01-29-2013   #6 (permalink)

Shreveport   Louisiana

Thanks Shane!

I appreciate the info about the Performance and Street tunes, but what about the race tune with an Auto for daily driving? I've ran a BAMA race tune before but it was with a manual trans. I'm sure it's going to be quite different with the auto. I ask about the race tune because when I put my foot down I'm looking for maximum performance from the engine as well as the transmission. Also, out of the hole I'd like the car to have much more. It just doesn't "romp" off the line like I want it to. I think it's mostly because of the "weak" factory trans calibration. But, I'd like the shifting patterns to stay about the same. Meaning, when I take my wife out to dinner and barley touch the gas and the motor rev's to 2K rpm to shift gears, I'd like the shifts to be nice and smooth. Then if I stomp the gas down I want to be thrown back in to my seat!!!

I know I know. I'm looking for the best of both worlds...... Hopefully it's not too much to ask!!!
Unread 01-29-2013   #7 (permalink)
slpy4444 is offline Apprentice

slpy4444's Country Flag
Montreal   Quebec
slpy4444 is on a distinguished road

I don't want to highjack the thread, but I'm looking for the same thing as the OP. Plus, I would like to get rid of the downshift lag.

Do your tunes reduce this lag?

Would the hybrid tune be the best of both worlds for what the OP and myself are asking?

Thanks for any info.
Unread 01-29-2013   #8 (permalink)

Shreveport   Louisiana

What's the Hybrid tune? And yes, I would like to reduce the lag on down-shifts too....
Unread 01-29-2013   #9 (permalink)
slpy4444 is offline Apprentice

slpy4444's Country Flag
Montreal   Quebec
slpy4444 is on a distinguished road

The hybrid tune is supposed to give the low end torque improvement of the street tune + the high end power of the race tune.

I don't know how the transmission is tuned with the hybrid though.

Shane will certainly chim in on this.
Unread 01-29-2013   #10 (permalink)

Malvern,   Pennsylvania

Quote:
Thanks Shane!

I appreciate the info about the Performance and Street tunes, but what about the race tune with an Auto for daily driving? I've ran a BAMA race tune before but it was with a manual trans. I'm sure it's going to be quite different with the auto. I ask about the race tune because when I put my foot down I'm looking for maximum performance from the engine as well as the transmission. Also, out of the hole I'd like the car to have much more. It just doesn't "romp" off the line like I want it to. I think it's mostly because of the "weak" factory trans calibration. But, I'd like the shifting patterns to stay about the same. Meaning, when I take my wife out to dinner and barley touch the gas and the motor rev's to 2K rpm to shift gears, I'd like the shifts to be nice and smooth. Then if I stomp the gas down I want to be thrown back in to my seat!!!

I know I know. I'm looking for the best of both worlds...... Hopefully it's not too much to ask!!!
Quote:
What's the Hybrid tune? And yes, I would like to reduce the lag on down-shifts too....
The Race tune will be just that, an extremely aggressive throttle response with smooth shifting at light throttle and low RPM's. I didn't recommend daily driving the Race tune because most people find the throttle to be overly sensitive and take away from a smooth ride if you're not careful with your foot. Also, the Race tune does not have economy in mind, strictly performance, so MPG's will decrease slightly over the Street or Performance tune.

The nice part about having the Street, Performance, and Race tune, is to have all the different variations at your command. You'll be able to find the tune that best suits you and run it whenever you please.

The Hybrid tune is an all out Performance tune (equivalent to Race), that takes the torquey Street tune parameters and mixes them with the Race tune's top end and shifting patterns. It's our most powerful tune that's exclusive to our forum customers. All you have to do is ask and the Bama Team will happily send you a Hybrid tune for your Mustang.

Also, keep in mind what I mentioned previously. All of your tunes, whether it be the Street, Performance, Race, or Hybrid, can be tweaked to your liking. You don't have to be dead set on what's given to you if you're not pleased. So, try out all the tunes that you first receive and go from there. Most likely, you'll be more than happy with one or all the different tunes that are sent to you!

Almost forgot to mentioned, our Bama Performance tunes will help with the downshift lag, too. That's another parameter that's very adjustable.

Hope this clears things up!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpy4444 View Post
I don't want to highjack the thread, but I'm looking for the same thing as the OP. Plus, I would like to get rid of the downshift lag.

Do your tunes reduce this lag?

Would the hybrid tune be the best of both worlds for what the OP and myself are asking?

Thanks for any info.
slpy4444,

Check out my comment above ^^^. I believe it answers your question completely. If there's anything I need to clarify, please let me know. I'll be happy too!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 01-29-2013   #11 (permalink)

Shreveport   Louisiana

Thanks Shane! Sounds like I'll have to start off with the Hybrid Tune. I'm all about performance and I'd rather have too much and have to have you guys tame it down for me than the other way around.

Got a couple more questions for you. What do you guys set the Rev limiter at on this Hybrid Tune with the auto trans? Meaning, with the trans in "drive", what RPM will the car shift at?

Also, you state the race tune may have slightly lower fuel economy. I'm curious why? All things being equal and driving normal, shouldn't the WB sensors on the car be keeping things at about the same A/F ratio regardless of the tune?

Again, thanks for the info. I've spent quite a bit of money with AM.com and you guys have always treated me well. So far, I love this auto trans much more than the MT82 I had. Now if I can just get some better "performance" from the trans it will be just about perfect.
Unread 01-30-2013   #12 (permalink)

Malvern,   Pennsylvania

Quote:
Thanks Shane! Sounds like I'll have to start off with the Hybrid Tune. I'm all about performance and I'd rather have too much and have to have you guys tame it down for me than the other way around.

Got a couple more questions for you. What do you guys set the Rev limiter at on this Hybrid Tune with the auto trans? Meaning, with the trans in "drive", what RPM will the car shift at?

Also, you state the race tune may have slightly lower fuel economy. I'm curious why? All things being equal and driving normal, shouldn't the WB sensors on the car be keeping things at about the same A/F ratio regardless of the tune?

Again, thanks for the info. I've spent quite a bit of money with AM.com and you guys have always treated me well. So far, I love this auto trans much more than the MT82 I had. Now if I can just get some better "performance" from the trans it will be just about perfect.

My pleasure, I'm glad I could answer your questions!

I know the Rev limiter is bumped to 7,300 RPM for the manual 5.0's, but that's mostly because it's still safe to rev that high and sometimes the manuals need some extra RPM to go through the quarter mile traps in 4th gear. Nothings worse than having to shift into 5th just for a millisecond to finish the race. Of course, you're not making more power at that RPM, so the auto's shift much lower. I will double check with Bama tomorrow morning, but I believe it's around 6,800 at WOT for the automatic 5.0's.

The Race and Hybrid tune do get worse gas mileage than the Street and Performance. They're designed to be an all out tune and disregard fuel economy. Lets just say we use quite a few different techniques when writing our Race/Hybrid tunes that allow us to safely produce quicker power than usual.

Thanks for supporting us in the past, it's a pleasure to have you as one of our loyal customers! I'll get back to you Thursday morning with more info on the auto 5.0 shift patterns, too.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Unread 01-31-2013   #13 (permalink)

Shreveport   Louisiana

Thanks Shane!

Any word on those 2013 Automatic shift patterns?
Unread 02-04-2013   #14 (permalink)

Shreveport   Louisiana

Shane

Just got off the phone with Lewis. I went ahead and ordered the Intune from American Muscle. Thanks for the help.

But, just for my curiosity, I would like to know more about the shift patterns for the Auto trans 2011-2013 GT's.

Again, thanks for the help!
Unread 02-04-2013   #15 (permalink)

Malvern,   Pennsylvania

MustangChris810,

Sorry about the delayed response!

I did get the info on shift patterns for the 4v 5.0 autos with a stock intake manifold.

The WOT shift patterns are based upon speed, but with the stock tire height, they will shift at about 6,900RPM. If you change to a Boss intake manifold, the shift points are bumped up to 7,200RPM, with a tune adjustment of course.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164