Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Audio, Video, Nav & Alarms

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Lounge | Mustang Tech | Power Adders | Drag Racing | Road Racing | Audio & Alarms | Show & Shine | Tech 

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
Unread 12-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
Stang08 is offline Rookie

Stang08's Country Flag  View Stang08's 1 photo
Vale   North Carolina
Stang08 is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 Mustang Audio upgrade on a budget

Hey, I'm new to the forums, this is my first post. Im looking to upgrade the audio in my mustang (subs, amps, speakers, etc.). I was just wondering what would be the best bang for the buck? I also have little experience in dealing with audio systems, I was just wanting a little more thump and sound when im not listening to the sound of the V8
3.73 Gears
Roush Louvers
GT500 Wheels and tires
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
scord is offline Made Member

S197 Member

scord's Country Flag  View scord's 9 photos
San Jose   California
scord is on a distinguished road

I would suggest adding a single 10" sub or 12" sub with a Decent amp to start out with. The amp is going to be more important of the two to spend more money... it'll make the diffrence. Just dont overpower your sub... then it'll blow... same with underpowering it.

Stock speakers and deck are decent on these cars. If you want more mids and Highs it isnt going to be cheap, your going to need a second amp, 6x9's in the back and componant speakers in the front.. also your going to need a good deck to bring the most out of your system.

In my car i have a Pioneer 90BT, MB Quart Componant speakers in the front and 6x9's in the back, two MB quart amps, and a 12" JL w3 sub in the back. Everything was about a grand, but that took a bit of shopping. Ebay is your friend.
Unread 12-29-2009   #3 (permalink)

Vale   North Carolina

ok, thanks for the tip
3.73 Gears
Roush Louvers
GT500 Wheels and tires
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-30-2009   #4 (permalink)
tc3k101 is offline Apprentice

tc3k101's Country Flag
Ontario   California
tc3k101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scord View Post
I would suggest adding a single 10" sub or 12" sub with a Decent amp to start out with. The amp is going to be more important of the two to spend more money... it'll make the diffrence. Just dont overpower your sub... then it'll blow... same with underpowering it.

Stock speakers and deck are decent on these cars. If you want more mids and Highs it isnt going to be cheap, your going to need a second amp, 6x9's in the back and componant speakers in the front.. also your going to need a good deck to bring the most out of your system.

In my car i have a Pioneer 90BT, MB Quart Componant speakers in the front and 6x9's in the back, two MB quart amps, and a 12" JL w3 sub in the back. Everything was about a grand, but that took a bit of shopping. Ebay is your friend.
You can't blow a speaker by under powering it. That is a myth and a horrible one at that. You can blow your speaker or subwoofer by over powering it but that usually isnt the problem People don't know the mechanical limits of their subwoofer and abuse them I doubt he would ever take the subwoofer to its thermal limits.

Also you don't need 6x9s Get yourself a good front comp set. i prefer the sound to come from in front of me and not behind me.
Unread 12-30-2009   #5 (permalink)
scord is offline Made Member

S197 Member

scord's Country Flag  View scord's 9 photos
San Jose   California
scord is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3k101 View Post
You can't blow a speaker by under powering it. That is a myth and a horrible one at that. You can blow your speaker or subwoofer by over powering it but that usually isnt the problem People don't know the mechanical limits of their subwoofer and abuse them I doubt he would ever take the subwoofer to its thermal limits.

Also you don't need 6x9s Get yourself a good front comp set. i prefer the sound to come from in front of me and not behind me.

When did I say he needed 6x9's? Also regardless of what you prefer, a better sound system has equal sound coming from both the fronts and backs, to give you the best listening experience possible. But donít take my word for it though; Rip out the back speakers let me know how much better that sounds then the stock stereo.

Go ahead, an under power a sub, thatís the most retarded thing Iíve heard someone suggest to someone on a budget build. You just paid... 200$ for a sub, and it sounds like a sub that cost 50$ way to spend your money wisely. You can also blow a underpowered sub, by turning up the gain on the amplifier. Which people do often because they cant figure out why there sub is not hitting "hard".

Guess I could have spent some time to explain more to you Stang08, as tc3k101 pointed out, my apologies, and you can under power it if you want but it would be a waste of your budget build. Just donít turn up the gain on the amp, to make the sub that will sound like crap, sound louder. Overpowering a sub will blow when you turn up the volume... which I donít think anyone in their right mind wouldnít do if there upgrading their sound system. Otherwise why buy an upgraded sound system.

Nothing personal tc3k101, just another point of view as always.
Tootles
Unread 12-30-2009   #6 (permalink)

Vale   North Carolina

yea i probably will wind up changing all of the speakers when i get a chance (money), since mine is bone stock, no shaker 500
3.73 Gears
Roush Louvers
GT500 Wheels and tires
Unread 12-31-2009   #7 (permalink)

tc3k101's Country Flag
Ontario   California

Quote:
When did I say he needed 6x9's? Also regardless of what you prefer, a better sound system has equal sound coming from both the fronts and backs, to give you the best listening experience possible. But donít take my word for it though; Rip out the back speakers let me know how much better that sounds then the stock stereo.

Go ahead, an under power a sub, thatís the most retarded thing Iíve heard someone suggest to someone on a budget build. You just paid... 200$ for a sub, and it sounds like a sub that cost 50$ way to spend your money wisely. You can also blow a underpowered sub, by turning up the gain on the amplifier. Which people do often because they cant figure out why there sub is not hitting "hard".

Guess I could have spent some time to explain more to you Stang08, as tc3k101 pointed out, my apologies, and you can under power it if you want but it would be a waste of your budget build. Just donít turn up the gain on the amp, to make the sub that will sound like crap, sound louder. Overpowering a sub will blow when you turn up the volume... which I donít think anyone in their right mind wouldnít do if there upgrading their sound system. Otherwise why buy an upgraded sound system.

Nothing personal tc3k101, just another point of view as always.
Tootles

I never said to under power the sub and if I did, I did not mean it. What I'm saying is you can't blow it by under powering it. EVER, only way you would blow it is sending a clipped signal. You never stated by blowing by turning the gains like a volume.

you said the 6x9 part here
Quote:
your going to need a second amp, 6x9's in the back and componant speakers in the front..
Also the better listening experience is having your **** setup right. The music is suppose to be dancing on the dash. Have you ever been to any sq comps? I see you are in socal so you must know that they hold a lot. Why do you think they never use any rear fill?

Please don't try to turn this into a pissing match because I do not want to clutter his thread.

You can blow anything by sending a clipped signal. I know this. Please don't test your knowledge against me, I'm not trying to challenge you I was just stating that your post had some untrue facts. Take it how you please. If you wish to take this further message me.

OP What is your budget for said build?
Unread 12-31-2009   #8 (permalink)

Vale   North Carolina

Im just looking to buy here and there, and once i get all of the parts, install them all at once.
As for my budget, im not looking to go all out on a system, i just want something that will "hit" harder and sound better than the stock stereo that is in the car.

I went to my local car stereo shop and they said that a basic system with install and all will run about $800+ is that a good deal? It probably all depends on what brand and size sub, amp etc. they install.
3.73 Gears
Roush Louvers
GT500 Wheels and tires
Unread 12-31-2009   #9 (permalink)

Vale   North Carolina

anybody have any opinion on this sub?
Dual BP1204 Illuminite™ bandpass enclosure with two 12" subwoofers at Crutchfield.com

I don't really care for the blue lighting, but if it was red???
3.73 Gears
Roush Louvers
GT500 Wheels and tires
Unread 01-01-2010   #10 (permalink)
gunz4me is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

gunz4me's Country Flag  View gunz4me's 5 photos
Lafayette   Louisiana
gunz4me is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gunz4me

Quote:
I never said to under power the sub and if I did, I did not mean it. What I'm saying is you can't blow it by under powering it. EVER, only way you would blow it is sending a clipped signal. You never stated by blowing by turning the gains like a volume.
Just to clarify, one can roast their sub by overdriving their underpowered amplifier.

Quote:
Also the better listening experience is having your **** setup right. The music is suppose to be dancing on the dash. Have you ever been to any sq comps? I see you are in socal so you must know that they hold a lot. Why do you think they never use any rear fill?
Just to add to this.... Rear fill, if implemented properly isn't necessarily a bad thing. The problem I have seen with most systems utilizing rear fill is they tend to run the rears louder than they should thus pulling the stage to the rear of the car.

Another way to think of it is like this. When you go to a concert, do you turn your back to the stage? That is the main argument I use to have individuals determine if they need rear fill or not.

Sadly, obtaining decent sound in a vehicle is a challenge in and of itself. I've found that my 2006 mustang exhibits odd harmonics due to reflections. I guess I brought this on myself for using the horrid stock locations. Then again, it would take too much time, money, and effort to get the best possible placement of my drivers up front.
Unread 01-02-2010   #11 (permalink)

tc3k101's Country Flag
Ontario   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang08 View Post
anybody have any opinion on this sub?
Dual BP1204 Illuminiteô bandpass enclosure with two 12" subwoofers at Crutchfield.com

I don't really care for the blue lighting, but if it was red???
Don't do it, although they aren't that bad. A friend had a set in his newer eclipse and it did pretty good but it was a hatchback style car. What is your said budget to start out with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
Just to clarify, one can roast their sub by overdriving their underpowered amplifier.
hahah I know this, btw how is the setup going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4me
Just to add to this.... Rear fill, if implemented properly isn't necessarily a bad thing. The problem I have seen with most systems utilizing rear fill is they tend to run the rears louder than they should thus pulling the stage to the rear of the car.

Another way to think of it is like this. When you go to a concert, do you turn your back to the stage? That is the main argument I use to have individuals determine if they need rear fill or not.

Sadly, obtaining decent sound in a vehicle is a challenge in and of itself. I've found that my 2006 mustang exhibits odd harmonics due to reflections. I guess I brought this on myself for using the horrid stock locations. Then again, it would take too much time, money, and effort to get the best possible placement of my drivers up front.
Well I was merely stating he doesnt need to get new rear speakers, he could leave it stock. I should have explained it a tad better but was rushed when typing this stuff. Totally agree with you on people always tend to get their rear fill to overpower their frontstage. It would be better to apply the said money he would have used, and apply it on the better front stage setup he can get.
Unread 01-02-2010   #12 (permalink)

tc3k101's Country Flag
Ontario   California

I honestly don't know how big the trunk is on the newer stangs
but since you are willing to look at $200 dual subwoofers figured I would find some around that price
A single one of these will work out very well.
SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 15" Lethal Injection

SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 12" Lethal Injection
^awesome subwoofer, a friend had a single 12" and it was just nuts.

Two of these would be awesome. I've owned them and they are one of the better budget subwoofers and I will reccomend them when people are doing budget builds
SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 12" 187
Unread 01-03-2010   #13 (permalink)

Vale   North Carolina

i don't have a set budget, i was just wondering what everyones opinion was on a decent system for the new stangs. Less than $1000 more than likely
3.73 Gears
Roush Louvers
GT500 Wheels and tires
Unread 01-04-2010   #14 (permalink)
gunz4me is offline PONY Member

S197 Member

gunz4me's Country Flag  View gunz4me's 5 photos
Lafayette   Louisiana
gunz4me is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gunz4me

Quote:
hahah I know this, btw how is the setup going?
The setup is working out great. I still have a little tuning left to do and I've found out that time tlignment isn't all it is cracked up to be. I've tried it both the "wrong" way (distance from my head) and the "correct" way (difference in distance between the driver farthest away from my head) and it just doesn't sound right to me. The SQ nuts tell me that is because I need to get used to it, but, the phasing just seems off no matter how I do it. Also, I was never a fan of "one seat" tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang08 View Post
i don't have a set budget, i was just wondering what everyones opinion was on a decent system for the new stangs. Less than $1000 more than likely
Excluding the Stealthbox, this is what I spent on my system:
Alpine CDA-9887 - $250 (new)
Lunar L450 - $225 (used)
Clarion DPX1851 - $150 (new)
Mach5 Audio MLI-65 - $80 (new)
Tang Band W4-1757SB - $130 (new)

I used my economic stimulus money in 2008 to fund the stealthbox purchase so you can thank me for doing my part to re-inject money into the economy. Well that, and I refuse to DIY my own fiberglass enclosures in Louisiana's August heat.
Unread 01-04-2010   #15 (permalink)

tc3k101's Country Flag
Ontario   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
The setup is working out great. I still have a little tuning left to do and I've found out that time tlignment isn't all it is cracked up to be. I've tried it both the "wrong" way (distance from my head) and the "correct" way (difference in distance between the driver farthest away from my head) and it just doesn't sound right to me. The SQ nuts tell me that is because I need to get used to it, but, the phasing just seems off no matter how I do it. Also, I was never a fan of "one seat" tuning.

Excluding the Stealthbox, this is what I spent on my system:
Alpine CDA-9887 - $250 (new)
Lunar L450 - $225 (used)
Clarion DPX1851 - $150 (new)
Mach5 Audio MLI-65 - $80 (new)
Tang Band W4-1757SB - $130 (new)

I used my economic stimulus money in 2008 to fund the stealthbox purchase so you can thank me for doing my part to re-inject money into the economy. Well that, and I refuse to DIY my own fiberglass enclosures in Louisiana's August heat.
Ever think your math might be off somewhere? I got to hear James Bang's setup from ca.com and it was really nuts how it sounded. I rather enjoyed his setup. You should change out the MLI mids and try these
DIYCable.com : Intro Ľ Home Ľ Exodus Subwoofers Ľ
I'd love to try them in a 3way front stage but I'm too broke atm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172