Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Audio, Video, Nav & Alarms

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Lounge | Mustang Tech | Power Adders | Drag Racing | Road Racing | Audio & Alarms | Show & Shine | Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
FST HRSY is offline Made Member

FST HRSY's Country Flag  View FST HRSY's 69 photos
Virginia Beach   Virginia
FST HRSY is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing Shaker 500 Speakers in a 2010/2011 Mustang?

I am a bit of an audiophile however I do not know how to change audio equipment myself. I am awaiting my 2011 GT Premium, which as y'all know has the Shaker 500 speakers. I know that typically Ford speakers are not made that well so I am wanting to go to my audio guys and have them replace all the stock speakers, subs, and amps.

My questions are these: Has anyone on here replaced their stock speakers in their 2010's? And if so (and you had pro shop do it for you) were they able to replace the 8" subs without cutting the door panels all up?

Thanks so much for any replys.

'12 VW GTI 4 dr | DSG | Neuspeed P-flo intake | pushing 225 whp

SOLD '11 GT Prem Kona Blue | Saddle | Sec Pkg | Brembos | had many mods
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
MadMike2010 is offline Rookie

MadMike2010's Country Flag
Pardise   Newfoundland
MadMike2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Shaker 500 speakers

I replaced the 5x7 stock with alpine type s 5 x 7's. I recently replaced the factory woofers with polk audio db840's (svc subs) powered by an alpine mrp-500, I have two tc710 subs in the trunk powered by an mtx8001 and my alpine 5x7's are powered by an mtx4004 - Your problem is not going to be in the speaker swap, but the headunit. The Shaker 500 headunit sux - plain and simple, I installed temporariliy an aftermarket headunit just to see if the car would sound better - it sounds amazing with an aftermarket unit all the levels are right on and you can adjust accordingly. Currently I'm using a ReQ from MTX to try to fix the levels but even that is not working very well. All I can say is rip that headunit out as fast as you can. I never had my 2010 5 days and I had two blown door speakers... LOL They truely suck...

Enjoy modding but expect a LONG project as audio wise this car is a total b!tch to work on...

Madmike2010
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
Propaganda13 is offline Apprentice

Propaganda13's Country Flag
Milwaukee   Wisconsin
Propaganda13 is on a distinguished road

The main reason doors get cut up is that you want to replace the 8" with something better that isn't the same depth or has greater excursion.

I recommend doing a little research on speakers of similar depth and excursion before talking to an audio guy. You may love the sound of Brand X's 8", but it's just not going to fit stock. Go in with your absolute musts and some ideas, but be open to options that you never thought about.
Unread 05-27-2010   #4 (permalink)
nbk13nw is offline Made Member

S197 Member

nbk13nw's Country Flag
Newport News   Virginia
nbk13nw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nbk13nw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 View Post
The main reason doors get cut up is that you want to replace the 8" with something better that isn't the same depth or has greater excursion.

I recommend doing a little research on speakers of similar depth and excursion before talking to an audio guy. You may love the sound of Brand X's 8", but it's just not going to fit stock. Go in with your absolute musts and some ideas, but be open to options that you never thought about.

I used some RF 8" in the doors. They are deeper than stock. But I removed the magnet covers, then used a heat gun on the inside of the chamber where the speaker sits. Using the gun, I heated the chanber up and while still hot pushed the speakers in to "mold" the shape. I did this several times and the spaeker literally fits like a glove.
2005 GT, Flowmaster, SCT, JLT CAI, Eibach, Baer, FRPP Struts / Dampers, FRPP Deletes, FRPP 4.10's, TA Girdle, BBK UDP's, J&M Upper Link/Lower Control Arms, FRPP GT 500 Front Control Arms, Hurst short throw, Foose / BFG FDW's
Unread 04-20-2011   #5 (permalink)
drboyd is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

drboyd's Country Flag
Phoenix   Arizona
drboyd is on a distinguished road

Do the front windows still roll down all the way?
Unread 04-21-2011   #6 (permalink)
nbk13nw is offline Made Member

S197 Member

nbk13nw's Country Flag
Newport News   Virginia
nbk13nw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nbk13nw

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Do the front windows still roll down all the way?

LOL... Yes they do. I used a heat gun to soften up the housing and pushed them into place. The bottom of the speaker fits perfectly in the factory location.
2005 GT, Flowmaster, SCT, JLT CAI, Eibach, Baer, FRPP Struts / Dampers, FRPP Deletes, FRPP 4.10's, TA Girdle, BBK UDP's, J&M Upper Link/Lower Control Arms, FRPP GT 500 Front Control Arms, Hurst short throw, Foose / BFG FDW's
Unread 08-13-2011   #7 (permalink)
Turbofred is offline Apprentice

Turbofred's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas
Turbofred is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I replaced the front and back stock speakers in my '11 vert. The change of the back speakers wasn't difficult, but also didn't provide a huge improvement. I would recommend to let them stock.

The front door speaker replacement (not the subs) weren't that easy but not a huge problem. The replacement of that speakers was a huge improvment.

The stock subwoofers in the fornt doors are really special. Every speaker is a double coil speaker with low impedance (1.8 Ohm), so that the factory amplifier can be cheap. If you replace the subs you will probably need an additional amp. Also the magnet ist pretty small and has a thread that it can be screwed on the sub housing.

My settings now:
Front: 6x8 3Way TS-A6874R (Pioneer)
Back: 6x8 2WAY KS68 (Kicker)

turbofred

Stock sub:
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Shaker 500 Speakers in a 2010/2011 Mustang?-frontsub-1.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2011   #8 (permalink)
Beast3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofred View Post
Hi,
I replaced the front and back stock speakers in my '11 vert. The change of the back speakers wasn't difficult, but also didn't provide a huge improvement. I would recommend to let them stock.

The front door speaker replacement (not the subs) weren't that easy but not a huge problem. The replacement of that speakers was a huge improvment.

The stock subwoofers in the fornt doors are really special. Every speaker is a double coil speaker with low impedance (1.8 Ohm), so that the factory amplifier can be cheap. If you replace the subs you will probably need an additional amp. Also the magnet ist pretty small and has a thread that it can be screwed on the sub housing.

My settings now:
Front: 6x8 3Way TS-A6874R (Pioneer)
Back: 6x8 2WAY KS68 (Kicker)

turbofred

Stock sub:
Fred,

What settings do you have the head unit on for sound? With the stock speakers, I found myself setting it to "driver's seat" with the bass at neutral and treble to about 2+. I have now changed the settings to bass 1+, treble 5+ and in the "all seats" setting. I have only replaced the 6x8s with the TS-A6874Rs so far.

Unread 09-07-2011   #9 (permalink)
GoT midlife CS is offline GT Member

5.0L Member
S197 Member

GoT midlife CS's Country Flag  View GoT midlife CS's 28 photos
District 6   Maryland
GoT midlife CS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike2010 View Post
Your problem is not going to be in the speaker swap, but the headunit. The Shaker 500 headunit sux - plain and simple, I installed temporariliy an aftermarket headunit just to see if the car would sound better - it sounds amazing with an aftermarket unit all the levels are right on and you can adjust accordingly.
I have to disagree. the problem is not in the head unit .... It is in the line conversion of the factory amplified signal. If you compare a crappy line-out convertor to an aftermarket Head unit, then i agree with you that the after market unit will have a better sound, however, with the right line convertor connected to the proper channels on the shaker the end result can be amazing, and with the ability to maintain my navi, phone, and sync, is well worth a couple hundred bucks to acheive.

typically in any factory system the order of inferior products is:

1) speakers
2) Amplifiers
3) Signal / head unit

and I have always replaced my systems in that order.
Unread 12-19-2011   #10 (permalink)
Turbofred is offline Apprentice

Turbofred's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas
Turbofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
Fred,

What settings do you have the head unit on for sound? With the stock speakers, I found myself setting it to "driver's seat" with the bass at neutral and treble to about 2+. I have now changed the settings to bass 1+, treble 5+ and in the "all seats" setting. I have only replaced the 6x8s with the TS-A6874Rs so far.
Sorry (Sorry-Sorry-Sorry) for answering that late - but i was working an 3.73 gears and so on.

I now prefer "All seats", Bass +3, Treble +4
I just found a few mitnutes tody this LINK, I Think I wiill go with that, because I have a 12" Subwoofer and a 300W-Amp left
Unread 01-03-2012   #11 (permalink)
Bama5.0 is offline Apprentice

Bama5.0's Country Flag  View Bama5.0's 1 photo
Hoover   Alabama
Bama5.0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
I have to disagree. the problem is not in the head unit .... It is in the line conversion of the factory amplified signal. If you compare a crappy line-out convertor to an aftermarket Head unit, then i agree with you that the after market unit will have a better sound, however, with the right line convertor connected to the proper channels on the shaker the end result can be amazing, and with the ability to maintain my navi, phone, and sync, is well worth a couple hundred bucks to acheive.

typically in any factory system the order of inferior products is:

1) speakers
2) Amplifiers
3) Signal / head unit

and I have always replaced my systems in that order.
I'm just starting to upgrade my '11 GTs sound system, and I'm wondering about this. I do NOT want to ditch the factory SYNC nav system (and like you, I know the problem is NOT the head unit, but the line conversion), but I want to incrementally upgrade to all aftermarket speakers and amps. Do you have suggestions on aftermarket converters that will give me a GOOD preamp signal? I don't care about spending some money to make it sound good. After all, every speaker/amp will be high-end, and I'll be going for a SQ setup.

I remember reading about a product that JL Audio makes that is supposed to flatten out all the built-in factory bias, and provide a clean preamp signal. Just looked it up, it's called the CleanSweep.

CL441dsp - Car Audio - OEM Interface - OEM Integration - JL Audio

Ever heard of it? I'm pretty sure that would give me a good starting point for a clean, adjustable output signal. I know JL's stuff is always top-notch, and the features sound impressive. What do you like? I'm stuck on JL for speakers and amps, but I would stray for something like this if it offers better performance.
Unread 01-03-2012   #12 (permalink)

5.0L Member
S197 Member

District 6   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama5.0 View Post
I'm just starting to upgrade my '11 GTs sound system, and I'm wondering about this. I do NOT want to ditch the factory SYNC nav system (and like you, I know the problem is NOT the head unit, but the line conversion), but I want to incrementally upgrade to all aftermarket speakers and amps. Do you have suggestions on aftermarket converters that will give me a GOOD preamp signal? I don't care about spending some money to make it sound good. After all, every speaker/amp will be high-end, and I'll be going for a SQ setup.

I remember reading about a product that JL Audio makes that is supposed to flatten out all the built-in factory bias, and provide a clean preamp signal. Just looked it up, it's called the CleanSweep.

CL441dsp - Car Audio - OEM Interface - OEM Integration - JL Audio

Ever heard of it? I'm pretty sure that would give me a good starting point for a clean, adjustable output signal. I know JL's stuff is always top-notch, and the features sound impressive. What do you like? I'm stuck on JL for speakers and amps, but I would stray for something like this if it offers better performance.
I originally built my system using the CL-SSi interface, which sounded awesome, but after a month or so, it started having problems, certain chanels wouldn't turn on, and the bass signal would go through the roof. Don't know if it was just a bad unit or if it didn't like the way i had it wired ....... I ended up replacing it with a pair of AudioControl LC2i locs. One taps the sub signal from the amp in the drivers front kick panel, and the other taps the front channel speaker outputs from the amp in the trunk (this one is needed to maintain navi voice and phone. I run the rears off factory power so i didn't need to tap them, although i did with the CL-SSi. The AudioControl LC2i's work great, not quite as clean and pure as the CL-SSi, but still very high quality. This approach will work great for you to start by just adding the subwoofer and amp first, and then doing the rest down the road.

Good Luck. Oh, and i have all the wire colors somewhere if you need that for tapping the factory amps.
2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Unread 01-05-2012   #13 (permalink)
Bama5.0 is offline Apprentice

Bama5.0's Country Flag  View Bama5.0's 1 photo
Hoover   Alabama
Bama5.0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
I originally built my system using the CL-SSi interface, which sounded awesome, but after a month or so, it started having problems, certain chanels wouldn't turn on, and the bass signal would go through the roof. Don't know if it was just a bad unit or if it didn't like the way i had it wired ....... I ended up replacing it with a pair of AudioControl LC2i locs. One taps the sub signal from the amp in the drivers front kick panel, and the other taps the front channel speaker outputs from the amp in the trunk (this one is needed to maintain navi voice and phone. I run the rears off factory power so i didn't need to tap them, although i did with the CL-SSi. The AudioControl LC2i's work great, not quite as clean and pure as the CL-SSi, but still very high quality. This approach will work great for you to start by just adding the subwoofer and amp first, and then doing the rest down the road.

Good Luck. Oh, and i have all the wire colors somewhere if you need that for tapping the factory amps.
Awesome! Thanks a lot. I asked that again in the other thread that I started. That helps a lot. I was looking at the AudioControl units on Crutchfield. They seem to be a much better option than one of the little $20 Scoshe line converters. Once I get all the components, I'll probably ask for the wiring diagram (or whatever you have). I'm sure I could hunt it all down, but it would be time consuming.
Unread 01-05-2012   #14 (permalink)

5.0L Member
S197 Member

District 6   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama5.0 View Post
Awesome! Thanks a lot. I asked that again in the other thread that I started. That helps a lot. I was looking at the AudioControl units on Crutchfield. They seem to be a much better option than one of the little $20 Scoshe line converters. Once I get all the components, I'll probably ask for the wiring diagram (or whatever you have). I'm sure I could hunt it all down, but it would be time consuming.
No doubt, a pm to me will save you hours of bs.
2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Unread 12-13-2013   #15 (permalink)
KAZOODUDE is offline Rookie

KAZOODUDE's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan
KAZOODUDE is on a distinguished road

Hi guys and gals:

New to the forum and just wanted to jump in on the replacement of speakers. I have a 2011 SMS with Nav shaker 500. I changed out the front and rear speakers with Infinity REF6832CF up front and Rockford Fosgate R168X2 in the rear. Used the Metra 72-5600 harnesses and they are indeed reversed polarity. SO...I pulled the doors apart again and found that with a large paper clip bent streight, I could push the black and white wired pins out of their sockets. They are only held in by tension, not a clip so I simply pushed (hard) them out and carefully swapped them around so the black wire is now on top (or away from the clip side). They worked perfectly without cutting wires/splicing wires or putting new end plugs on them so they look just like the one's from Crutchfield. Now SOME older mustangs do have the harness attached to the speakers going the way Metra has it set up but the newer mustangs it is not. A quick look in the trunk at the exposed speakers will let you know which ones you need to buy. If you are looking at the speaker face down on a table with the posts turned to 6 o clock, the RIGHT one is the positive. Always! It then attaches to the bigger end plug of the Metra harness. So look at your speaker connection and see which set up you need. Again it took me 1 minute to change the wires on both harnesses (after I figured it out) so buy the cheapest ones and fix as needed!! Hope this helps. All four speakers are 6 x 8 / 5x 7 size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162