Which upgrade to YOUR Shaker Pro system made the most improvement? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By silver_stang200
  • 1 Post By Old Goat Ninja

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Which upgrade to YOUR Shaker Pro system made the most improvement?

Hi all! I have a 2013 Mustang GT convertible with the electronics package (touch screen). Love the car but not happy with the Shaker Pro. Bass is what seems to be lacking the most but I'm not thrilled with the highs or mids, either, especially when the top is down. I want to invest less than $500 and get the most bang for the buck. I've been installing my own car audio for twenty years so labor won't be a factor. From what I've read, the Shaker system dials down the bass as volume increases. Yuk. I feel like changing the head unit would be the largest improvement in sound but due to the cost of the dash kits (keeping the touch screen controls), that would leave me with nothing left to invest in speakers for a while. So I'm curious... In your opinion what made the biggest improvement in sound? Feel free to respond if you have any Shaker system but let me know if you have the Shaker Pro with electronics package. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
In My car I have the Shaker500 I swapped out everything HU/Speakers 5x7 both Kenwood subs are Shelby/Kicker 8" All I need is a new amp 5CH

huberoy123 likes this.

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks. Do you know if the amp sits somewhere separate from the head unit?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019
PONY Member

Changing out the head unit all by itself made a huge improvement to my Shaker500. Now I had a digital equalizer instead of just bass and treble, and no more AI volume control by the stock unit. Then I added a 12" sub to the corner of my trunk and it's a million times better. I'll swap out door and rear speakers eventually to finish it off, but no rush. Head unit and new sub in trunk helped a ton.
huberoy123 likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019
RBK
Rookie

I had the Shaker 500 in my previous Mustang but never changed out anything, but when I was thinking of it my first change was going to be the speakers. I could be dead wrong but I always thought an average head unit with good speakers would be better than a great head unit with average speakers. What I would do is go to an audio store and talk to a professional about it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019
PONY Member

Garage
I have the shaker pro with the factory nav in my 2013, so I know your frustration. I even made a post on this forum on changing the sub amp and subwoofer to improve the bass. I have also change the front door 5x7 speakers as well. I will say that it is improved, BUT - it is a far cry from good. The stock head unit simply lacks the needed adjust-ability to take advantage of any of the improvements and I am left with only partial success on what I was hoping for. I will be changing out the head unit for an aftermarket unit as time and money allow so that I can take full advantage of the improvements I already made. Knowing this, if I could do it over again I would have done the head unit first. I found out in my 4Runner that a good aftermarket head unit can make even crappy stock speakers sound decent......but for now I just turn down the stereo and listen to the sweet Coyote sounds coming out of my new Corsa GT500 quad exhaust!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. And thanks candersen for your write up on doing the subwoofer and amp in another thread. It motivated me and I followed your advice there and am upgrading my Shaker Pro sub. I'm adding a Rockford Fosgate dual voice coil 4 ohm sub and a mono amp that's 500 watts at 2 ohms. I'm also running new 4 guage power and ground which is overkill but hey. My stock sub has been having some issues. It thumps when I turn off the ignition and seems to work intermittently. I REALLY want to swap out the head unit but am having a terrible time finding a replacement for my Sync w nav which is reasonably priced. I think my next step... Leaving the head unit in place... will be to replace the 6x8s and if I'm brave enough bypass the amp. I'm finishing out the sub install today and am excited to see what a difference my $300 investment in that sub makes. I'd love to see a write up or video on bypassing the amp if anyone knows of one. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page