What size speakers are in my 1998 Mustang GT? - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
Send a message via MSN to spy23714
What size speakers are in my 1998 Mustang GT?

I'm looking at replace all the speakers in my car, but I'm not sure what size they are and I'd rather know before pulling the door panels as that is one of my least favorite things to do in the world.

It had the mach460, however everything has been pulled out and replace with crappy speakers. The only evidence of the mach460 is the speakers in the top of the door near the window. Also the ones in the back deck have the 460 grill over them

I'm hoping to upgrade every speaker in the car so any and all help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1998 Mustang GT-SVO Headers-Steeda Tri-Ax-Flowmaster American Thunder Mufflers Dumped-Eibach Springs-Edelbrock Shocks-Tokico Struts-MM CC Plates-CAI

RIP-1989 LX 5.0
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
You can check out crutchfield.com under outfit my car for sizes that will fit. I just replaced mine from that info. Hope that helps if the 98 owners don't chime in.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008
4.6L Member
I have a 1997 gt and i believe that it had 8's in it....but it only had a mach 360...so i could be wrong

'04 GT 40th Anniversary...All Stock....For Now
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
Send a message via MSN to Nicks79 Send a message via Yahoo to Nicks79 Send a message via Skype™ to Nicks79
5/8" though out... they are also called 4/6" as well. The door tweeters are 2.5", and you will want to get a midbass speaker to replace what you had in there if you are keeping the mach 460. If you go with a 2/3/4 way speaker it will NEVER sound the same. Trust me from my own mistakes.

If you need more info shoot me a pm

1997 Mustang GT- DOHC, Termec T-45, LT Headers, Bassani O/R X, Tri-ax, 3.73s, JLT CAI, BAMA tune

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009
98 mustang GT convertible with mach 460. Just installed Infinity Kappa 5 amp, Infinity Kappa components front and back. Rewired entire vehicle with 14 gauge. Custom adapters had to be made for front teeters in addition to the adjustable baskets they sell with them. made the collars out of really thick plastic. You really have to get the teeeters in recessed enough or the Mach 460 covers wont go back on. Kappa 680.7cs componenets in the front, Kappa 50.9cs components in the back. Sounds great. Even in the back the teeter adapter cage had to be screwed into the black box holding the speakers.

anyone know where to get clips or inserts that hold the back grilles over the large rear speakers? The top tweeter cover snap in nicely but the rear woofers are a mystery. Bought new covers but I have nothing to hold them in. There must be inserts for the holes in the plastic frame that tifghten up when you push the grille posts into the holes.(bought car used and the old ones were hot glued on)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009
I apologize for the spelling above...
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page