Ford Mustang Forum banner

Full Audio System for 07 Mustang?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  therage800 
#1 · (Edited)
Could anyone give me, in their opinion, the best audio hook-up for an 07 mustang?

I was looking to purchase infinity speakers and subwoofer, and keep my 500shaker head unit.

I don't know what I'd all need though; I'm not really that knowledgable when it comes to audio systems in cars, and in fact, most car parts. :headscratch: I've recently begun learning as much as I can, as fast as I can, since I bought my own pride and joy. :D

Could you also list an estimated price for the items you list?

Please and thank you!!!

#2 ·
The million dollar question is: How much do you want to spend?
The possibilities are endless. The answers will be pared down by your dollar limit.

#3 ·
A grand or so, or maybe even 2 grand, I don't know! Just want a great audio experience in my car. :D

Or a more affordable alternative, that a lot of people seem to like; that would be nice too! :p

#4 ·
Check out my last post. The thread details a custom audio set up with two 500 mini amps, two 10" subs, two 6.5 components, two tweeters and two midrange for the rear deck. A couple of cross-overs and a 12v capacitor will reach your high limit for sure!!

#5 ·
ok i got u in this department...im very knowledgable and i can tell u what i am going to purchase as soon as i can save up some extra moneyyy

first off if u want to add subs in ur trunk u can not use the stock head unit..it deos not have the rca hookup for the amps u will need for that....if ud like to keep the stock head unit which is what i will be doing for awhile as well...this will be a relitively cheap system to start off with then u can upgrade depending if u want more voice or more bass

infinity is great for speakers go top of the line infinity (kappa) to ensure quality...ebay is a great place to order cheap from
go infinity kappas 6x8 2 pairs for doors and rears then i would recomend jl audio 8 inch woofers to replace the stock 8 inch door subs....this might be enough base and sound for you....the new speakers and subs will be much louder than the stock so u may not have an interest in spending extra money on new head unit and amps wires etc..

i chose jl for 8 inch woofers...it was a toss up from kicker and jl ....i think jl will be the better choice...u will not be able to keep the stock sub covers my interior is black so the jl will look factory to still keep the nice look of the car

sry couldnt keep this post short...PM if u have any detailed questions

#11 ·
ok i got u in this department...im very knowledgable and i can tell u what i am going to purchase as soon as i can save up some extra moneyyy

first off if u want to add subs in ur trunk u can not use the stock head unit..it deos not have the rca hookup for the amps u will need for that....
No offense but you couldn't be more wrong. If you know what you are doing, you can tap the stock Shaker 500 HU to obtain line outs for a subwoofer without the need for a Line Output Convertor! There are also other options such as the Audio Control DQL8, JL Audio Cleansweep, Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 and a few others which will allow one to retain the stock head unit if one chooses to do so!

infinity is great for speakers go top of the line infinity (kappa) to ensure quality...ebay is a great place to order cheap from
go infinity kappas 6x8 2 pairs for doors and rears
Again, you are wrong. Infinity Kappas have the harshest tweeters on the market. They are marginally better than stock off of radio power, but as soon as you amplify them, they become super bright and harsh. IMHO, the Infinity Kappas that were recommended by members on this very forum were the WORST investment I have made to date with regards to audio equipment!

ETA: Unless one has rear seat passengers, all the 6x8s in the rear will do is screw up your stage from the front seats. Do you turn your back to the stage at a concert to get the full effects of it? If not, then rear-fill is a bad idea unless "loud" is your goal. In the case of Infinity Kappas, it is a really BAD idea because now you have FOUR ultra harsh tweeters to contend with. I pulled my rear kappas two weeks ago, and the doors are next!

then i would recomend jl audio 8 inch woofers to replace the stock 8 inch door subs....this might be enough base and sound for you....the new speakers and subs will be much louder than the stock so u may not have an interest in spending extra money on new head unit and amps wires etc..

i chose jl for 8 inch woofers...it was a toss up from kicker and jl ....i think jl will be the better choice...u will not be able to keep the stock sub covers my interior is black so the jl will look factory to still keep the nice look of the car
Another option would be to make baffles and install some 6.5" woofers in the doors, which is the route I am in the process of taking. Believe it or not, the Pioneer Slim mount 8'' subwoofers are a much better option than the JL Audio 8s which will require a lot of modification to fit in the stock door pods!

#6 ·
I'm probably going to have to buy a new audio head-unit for my car. :weeps: I thought it was just the speaker, and then I moved the balance of my audio all the way to the other side of where the buzzing was coming from; yet I could still hear it, albeit faintly.

This could end up costly. :(

#7 ·
So, uh... what's a good replacement for the Shaker500?

Preferably still allowing for the 6 CD change; if not though, that's alright.

And how much will it cost for 'the works'? :headscratch:

#8 ·
hmmm the buzzing could be a couple things....iv found in mostttt cases that its just a loose wire on that speaker...another case i had my tweeter was blown and that was making the noise....i wouldnt go right out and get a new headunit just yet...try just a simple new speaker setup

if ur not happy with that then by all means get the headunit...personally when i replace mine i wont get anything but a double din touchscreen nav system from pioneer most likely (since apline is lik $700+ on ebay) just because the shaker 500 is a double din unit i wouldnt just put a single din unit in....itd look wierd with the dash....u wont find a aftermarket headunit with a 6 cd changer in it...but u can always buy a after market one and keep it in the trunk

#9 ·
and as far as "the works"

ill do it seperate so u can pick and choose what suits u

headunit -$400-600
wiring kit $40
two pairs of speakers- $200ish
speaker wire $15
8" subs- $200
300watt rms 2 channel amp for 8inch subs- $150 or so
if u want moree bass
figure two 12" subs in sealed box around $300
0 gauge wiring kit $100

#10 ·
and car alarms going off from your bumpin bass.... priceless:gringreen

#12 ·
Is the Alpine IVA-W505 the grand daddy of all head units? If not, what is? If I upgrade, I tend to go for the biggest; ESPECIALLY for sound quality.

I love high quality sound.

#13 ·
Most double dins are a joke for features with regards to sound quality unless you add something else to them. The Alpine IVA-W505 can be a great audiophile replacement, provided you get the PXA-H100 and KTX-H100 to go with it.

The only drop-in solutions I would consider "audiophile grade" are the following: Alpine CDA-9887, Pioneer Premier DEH-P800PRS, and the Eclipse CD7200 mk II. Sadly, most double din head units are flashy toys compared to the aforementioned head units!

#14 ·
#19 ·
This is my opinion... This is the best complete system for your Mustang...

Kicker Audio Kit - Shaker: Audio Electronics &amp Kits - Shelby Performance Parts LLC.

The reasons I think it is the best:
Ease of installation, plug and play, no cutting.
You can keep your Shaker 500 head unit.
Bang for the buck. $1400, remember time is money
Out performs shaker 1000 hands down and 1/2 the weight.

Ask anyone who has one.
Anyone know if this will work in the 2010 V6 coupe with navigation system? And is it worth the money?

#15 ·
Mmm... I'm intrigued! I wonder; what do the other people on this forums think about that idea? :scratchchin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.