Ford Mustang Forum banner

Heater Resistor Question

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Howza 
#1 ·
I have a 1965 Coupe, pulled the heater plenum to replace the motor, I replaced the core as well when out. On my plenum there was not a resistor set up, is this a 64 1/2 plenum? I see that a resistor is typical of a 65, I am not positive whether or not my car may be a 64 1/2 as I have ran the Vin and it has indicated a 64 1/2 at one location and a 65 on another. I also have an alternator and the dash has an alt light typ of 65, the Brake Master looks like that of a 64 1/2 as well as the headlight switch was a 64 1/2 that I replaced. So I guess my question is when was the resistor introduced?

#2 ·
Checking the door data plate date code will tell, if it is a first year it is a (third character letter A-M no I), if it is a second year it is a 65 (N-Z no O), if you do not have the original data plate then pm the VIN to veronica and she can probably tell within reason when it was made. On the heater setup you have a 2 speed motor so no resistors, then came the 3 speed setup with the resistors, if you look closely at the heater box it will have its engineering number code also. My 2 cts. Good Luck.

#3 ·
heater resistor

Thanks for the Info, nit sure who or how to contact veronica, my third character in the serial is an "O" , also when I run this number it comes up with a 6 cyl 3 speed manual but mines a 289 8 cyl auto green dot crusimatic, there is no indication of conversion to me that this was changed out, there is no clutch pedal hole or repair of one....

Attachments

#5 ·
heater resistor / year ID

I believe I did check that when I got the car and it matched, I will take another look though. The car is in storage so it may take a week or so. I suppose that is possible that the door could have come from a wreck.

#7 ·
According to your date code on the door plate, it was made on May 21, 1964. If the last 6 digits on the door plate matches the title hopefully, and the aprons on the fenders, the drivers side is visible, the passenger side has to have the fender removed to see it (the VIN is stamped in the the metal) that is the date. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.