Ford Mustang Forum banner

1965 Mustang Door Data Plate is missing

61K views 149 replies 61 participants last post by  marem 
#1 ·
Well, three hours after my introductory post, I have my first question. (I did do a search first).
My 'new' 1965 has no door data plate. My husband gets Eminger invoices and Marti reports for his Boss 302's, but tells me these aren't available for 1965. How and where can I get an accurate replacement door data plate? Thanks, Mag

#11 ·
Hi again.:) Rocky, yours would have a scheduled build date of about april 5th of 65. That one also might be of by a day, but not any more than that. The car was actually completed closer to the end of the month, but the tag date would be 05R. The missing D.S.O. is gone forever, barring a miracle, like finding an original window sticker or something. Hope that helps. :)

#15 ·
door tag

Yes, but hopefully it was an educated guess :>)

I found a book at the library (of all places) that helped me fill some of the blanks and by using a mustang decode book I think the data plate should look like this minus the DSO.

65A J 26 16B ? 1 6

I would take a guess that the DSO code would be 15 for Newark, but that would wild guess.

Thank you so much for the build date.

Tony

#16 ·
Hi again.:) If you really, really wanted to know what color your car was originally you could knock some of the undercoating in the wheel wells off up near the hood hinges. Whatever color is underneath it is what color your car was. Unless your car came with a bench seat the 65A is right. The date is a too early for a pony interior car. The black standard interior is also probably right, just because there probably were more of those than everything else put together.:gringreen A 3.00:1 rear end with an automatic is also very common. The dso could be anywhere. It's probably somewhere east of the Mississippi, but not necessarily. The fact that it was built in Metuchan in no way indicates that it stayed in New Jersey. There were only three plants building the mustangs and they were being sold all over the world. Most of the cars exported to Europe were built in Metuchan after that plant got rolling building mustangs, so that car's dso could have been Stuttgart and it came back to the United States with the soldier that bought it while stationed there. You just never know.:)

#17 ·
Hi Veronica,

I was hoping that you wouldn't mind doing your magic one more time and providing me with the date code. My VIN is 5F07C657212. The original paint which is still on the interior is ivy and the trim was replaced with what I'm going to guess as ivy gold (hopefully the original color). Using the data plate decoder my car should look like this. I'm thinking it has the 2.80(?) rear axle, but I'm not sure. When I spun it I only counted about 1.5 - 1.75 turns which just sounds wrong. The car is very basic so I'm guessing it also has the standard trim.

1965 Mustang VIN/Dataplate Info
Dataplate Breakdown:
Body: Hardtop, Standard Interior, Bucket Seats
Color: Ivy Green (65 only)
[Interior] Trim: Ivy gold w/gold
Date: Invalid Code
DSO: Invalid Code
Axle: Invalid Code:1
Trans: C-4 Automatic

VIN (Warrenty Number) Breakdown:
5 = 1965
F = Dearborn, MI
07 = Hardtop
C = 289-2v
657212 = Consecutive unit number #657212

Thank you in advance!

#24 ·
1965 Mustang VIN/Dataplate Info
Dataplate Breakdown:
Color: Ivy Green (65 only)
I'm not quite sure about this, but my car also is supposed to be Ivy Green or "R". Is this your same code Erwin? Mine's a 1966 and that's what I have on the buck tag. Are the color's somehow different? Funny thing is, I am changing my interior to the Ivy Gold with white.
Maybe I am just confused or something. Could you clear this up for me Veronica? Thanks.

#149 ·
Hello Veronica,

I saw some past threads where you provided a ton of info on VINs for Mustangs. I have this old 65 Mustang which I am restoring. I got it when I graduated High School in 1975 and I am the third owner. It appears that at some point in its life (before me), it had the door replaced with a 66 door, so the door tag is not correct. Im trying to see if I can find ANY history on this VIN, so I can get a replacement tag from Marti. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#22 ·
I see you live in Sanoma. Do you still have SMOG equipment on it? If so, the region is most likely Los Angeles and it was built in San Jose. Be sure that build day is not a holiday or a Sunday. Some people make that mistake when they choose a build day.

#26 ·
Hi again.:) I'm assuming that you are talking about the the fellow that originally posted this thread, since he's the one from CA. The vin is stamped on the body of the car in three different places.

As far the Ivy Green thing goes, the code was R for 65 and 66. If you go to my home page, I've got all of the paint codes, along with the PPG number there. It's The Care and Feeding of Ponies Hope that helps.:)

#28 ·
Hi Minh. :welcome Your car would have had a scheduled production date of 29A, which is jan. 29 of 65. That is potentially a nice car. 289 4bbl convertible. It's too early to have come from the factory with the GT package or pony interior, but that certainly wouldn't stop me from buying it.:nogrinner Hope that helps.:)

#29 ·
65 Radiator size question

Veronica, That's very helpful.

Since you know a lot about the 65/66 mustang, I have another question.
This 65 has a 20-inch wide radiator same as the 67's radiator size. I'm not sure it's original or not. Do you ever hear any 65 come from the factory like that. This was a California car.

Thanks,
Minh:nono:

#30 ·
Hi Veronica, I too have no Data Plate for my 1965 Mustang, can you look at my VIN and work your magic for me as well? The Vi is 5F07C765984. The interior is a basic medium to dark Blue and the inside door panels as well. The exterior was a faded Blue, but the 2nd owner I bought it from repainted it a dark Blue for me because I was in Iraq, so I really don't know the true colors. Look up inside the wheel wells near the hood hinges you said? HELP please! It is pretty nice Stang, but I want to take it back to original.
Thanks, Hun!
Dennis