VIN decoder confusision 64 or 65 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question VIN decoder confusision 64 or 65

Hi

I've always thought my mustang was a 65..
But checked my vin, and miscellaneous vehicle data it says 29 October 1964.?

Is it a 64 or 65..?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-03 18.24.12.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	579633  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017
GT Member

Technically there are no 64 Mustangs. They were all given VINs that start with a 5, like yours. But the common folks realize there is a difference in the early cars, mainly generators vs alt, and the horns had a relay wired in. So they are commonly called 64 1/2 cars and we all know what you refer to.

1968, hardtop, 289, C4, seafoam green.
1966, hardtop, 289, original 3 speed, on the road and fun to drive.
1968, hardtop, 200, 3 speed, in work.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigenstroem View Post
Hi

I've always thought my mustang was a 65..
But checked my vin, and miscellaneous vehicle data it says 29 October 1964.?

Is it a 64 or 65..?
I don't know if there is an exact date to cut off the so called 64.5 sub class. Does it have a generator or alternator ? OCT 29 is pretty late for a 64.5 designation. That's well after the usual new car releases in the early fall 1964 , when ALL the '65 Ford models are released. As well as the usual release time frame for all the other USA auto manufacturers. Car manufacturers don't follow the calendar yearwith their model year designations. In the 1960's, A manufacturers new car year, say the 1965 model year, started with releases in Sept. of the preceding year, 1964, and manufacturing continued until mid summer the following year, 1965, in this example.

As pointed out, all 64.5 cars came with a 1965 Ford MSO , and are titled as 1965's. As far as being worth more than the later '65's, I don't think they are unless we are talking about one of the first 100 cars. Although the 64.5 owners really wish they were worth more, it's been my experience, in buying and selling Mustangs for the last 50 years, that originality and condition account for 90% of a car's value, not whether it's a 64.5 or a later 65.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017
GT Member

Yes, these are registered as '65s (mine included). I've learned during my ownership of my early mustang version (May 64 built) that August 64 is, approximately, when the change-over occurred. In those days, the upcoming new model year debuted in the fall.
I feel many of us use the term "64.5" as a way of describing how the early versions (March through August) are different in a number ways from what was produced and available when the "fall" models debuted. Anyway, this is how I see it.

Ken
Severna Park, MD
1964 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt Resto-Mod
333 cu.in, dual Webers, CI cam, TW heads,TRI-Ys, 3.55 rear, T5z, TCP susp., real leather seating
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I don't care is it's worth more, because to me it's worth more than anyone would pay for it.
It's just my curiosity I need satisfied..

Btw the taillight also says 64, but again that could have been put on it at a later date...(someone told me that was a way to check it's age, don't know if that's true)

Last edited by sigenstroem; 10-12-2017 at 05:34 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017
PONY Member

the numbers on the lens are actually the D.O.T. certification date. Most model there are slight changes in the lens from Supplier to supplier. So they get certified by the DOT when supplied. I've seen two different date left and right.
As above the accepted cut off for true 64 1/2 models is sometime in August. the 2018 model mustang were being built in July of 2017. some states issue titles based on the original sales dates that's why several Maryland cars are titled as 1964 Mustangs. But Ford has all of the cars with a first digit of "5" meaning its a 1965 model year, not necessarily production year!

the second digit the "r" is a San Jose car and many people seek these out as they are less likely to be rusted than the "M" or Metucheon cars.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigenstroem View Post
I don't care is it's worth more, because to me it's worth more than anyone would pay for it.
It's just my curiosity I need satisfied..

Btw the taillight also says 64, but again that could have been put on it at a later date...(someone told me that was a way to check it's age, don't know if that's true)
Bottom line is, all the 641/2 terminology aside, If the first number of the VIN is a 5, it is a 1965 model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
19646 or 1965 , vin decoder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in