Sway Bar - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Sway Bar

Thinking about installing a 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch front sway bar and a 3/4 inch rear sway bar. Sunday driver with a 331 stroker, 5 speed and 3:50 tru-track rear. No track or autocross driving. Just want better handling. Any suggestions on sway bars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpud54 View Post
Thinking about installing a 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch front sway bar and a 3/4 inch rear sway bar. Sunday driver with a 331 stroker, 5 speed and 3:50 tru-track rear. No track or autocross driving. Just want better handling. Any suggestions on sway bars
Total Control Products and Eibach both make a good quality product

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Garage
When I rebuild the front ends on my Mustangs I always add the 1 1/8" sway bar on front from a recommendation from Open Tracker Racing Products - I makes a big difference and I have been pleased with that upgrade. i have never gone back to anything else.

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud and Ugly

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you haven't been trained properly.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018
PONY Member

I'd also add a MONTE CARLO BAR as well as an EXPORT BRACE these two really stiffen the front end up. A good quality gas shock also.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Honestly, a rear sway bar won't do much for you. I had an on-axle one, and the most it did was beat up my exhaust. It sat about 2" above my axle and hit the exhaust every time I'd go over a speedbump or hit a crappy expansion joint on the freeway. Eventually it tore the hangars off the body, causing the exhaust to rest on the axle.

Your handling really won't be improved much with a rear sway bar either. The roll center with leaf springs is already high enough that the rear end doesn't need any more roll stiffness.

A 1 1/8" front bar will help, though. You'll be able to run closer to stock coil springs so you won't get beat up. But first and foremost, as baylensmanfl mentioned, shocks. The two best things you can do for handling on any car are good, quality tires and shocks. I'm a fan of Koni, as they are high-quality, tunable shocks, but there's getting to be more quality shocks out there. Varishock is another decent option, as is QA1. KYB is better than stock, but is pretty mediocre, honestly. Yes, a good set of shocks will run you upwards of $700+, but trust me, it's worth it!

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks for the input. I went with a 1 1/8 inch front sway bar and a Monte Carlo bar and I'm very pleased with the setup now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018
PONY Member

Using too heavy an anti-sway bar will cause the cornering to suffer as you will develop wheel lift on the inside wheel.
The torsional rigidity or stiffness of the bar and its ability to limit body roll is a function of its diameter, the stiffness of the material used and whether itís solid or hollow, the length of the lever arms that connect the bar to the suspension, the geometry of the bar as determined by its mounting points, and the rigidity of the barís mounting points. The torsional (or twisting) motion of the bar is governed by the equation: Twist = (2 x torque x length) / (pi (3.14159) x diameter4 x material modulus). Diameter is in the denominator, so it gets larger as the amount of twist gets smaller. Further analysis of this formula reveals that torsional rigidity is a function of diameter to the fourth power, which means that even very small increases in anti-sway bar diameter make a large difference in torsional rigidity. In other words: it's very easy to overdo the anti-sway bar on a car and ruin the ability to allow the independent suspension work properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page